Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Genealogy
 Woolley family of Rhyd Hall

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
aldwoolley Posted - 10/03/2006 : 19:45:29
Does anyone remember William and Gladys Woolley who lived at Rhyd Hall from around 1920-1950? They are my Great Grandaparents and I have four books full of newspaper articles from those days when they lived in the town.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
milkman Posted - 11/09/2020 : 12:34:44
Since this was first published a book on the TIC has been published. It is "The Tredegar Company" by Leslie M Shore, published by Lightmoor Press of Lydney.
The index has some 20 references to William Woolley.
I was a schoolboyy and knew of them but no more, a friend of mine started his apprenticeship in 1946; he is now quite old but has recollections of them,
I believe some persons in "THE CITADEL" by Cronin possibly aaare some of the Woolley family
I have supped occasionally at Rhyd Hall
kazoogirl Posted - 11/09/2020 : 09:30:35
quote:
Originally posted by aldwoolley

Furthing on from my orginal message just wondered if anyone else remembers my Great Grandparents, as they were very important figures in Tredegar between 1911-1948. Some people might have relatives who remember my Great Grandmother Gladys opening buildings and holding official tea afternoons or both my great grandparents presenting prizes at local events. My Great Grandfather William was a senior manager at the colliery.

My mother and her sister were among the children evacuated from London during WWII. They and 2 friends stayed at Rhyd Hall about 1940-1941. The evacuation was traumatic for some children, but not for them. The Woolley's made them very welcome and they attended school in Wales. In rain, they were sent to school in your GGrandparents' Rolls. My mother is 90 now. She is Beatrice and her sister, now deceased, was Marion. The other girls were Olive and Irene. Irene's mother, brother and new wife perished in a London bombing.
kazoogirl Posted - 11/09/2020 : 09:25:56
quote:
Originally posted by aldwoolley

Furthing on from my orginal message just wondered if anyone else remembers my Great Grandparents, as they were very important figures in Tredegar between 1911-1948. Some people might have relatives who remember my Great Grandmother Gladys opening buildings and holding official tea afternoons or both my great grandparents presenting prizes at local events. My Great Grandfather William was a senior manager at the colliery.

pierre Posted - 27/03/2014 : 19:49:07
I need to update this picture (and of course, taste the brew )

aldwoolley Posted - 27/03/2014 : 18:07:52
I have loads of information already from the his CV and also the two scrap book I have which charts his career. I am interested in the people who worked at Rhyd Hall and their experiences of working for my great grand parents.
Bryan Rendell Posted - 27/03/2014 : 11:29:01
Have just had a look at The Durham Mining Museum Page on the net.

If you type in W.D. Woolley J.P. there is a huge amount of information there for you.

Bryan
aldwoolley Posted - 27/03/2014 : 09:06:51
Does anyone else have any relatives who worked for my great grandparents at Rhyd Hall, as my father and I are gradually trying to find out more information about it. He doesn't really remember Rhyd Hall as he was too young and remembers their next house in St Mellons.
DaviesMAST Posted - 26/07/2010 : 09:11:47
Almost correct cousin. Gwyneth's father was Alfred Hugh Davies (1886-1961), known both as Alf and Fred, who lived in Arnold Place. Fred was a gardener at Rhyd Hall up until his retirement in the early 1950s. Also, he was known in the town as being a stalwart of Tredegar Orpheus for many years.
aldwoolley Posted - 30/12/2006 : 13:36:57
aldwoolley Posted - 06/04/2006 : 14:20:00
Just spoken to my Grandmother, who says she remembers your Grandmother Gwyneth when she used to stay in 1935 onwards during her engagement to my Grandfather Keith. She remembers all her times at Rhyd Hall.
Ellen Posted - 04/04/2006 : 19:54:12
no but my caretaker in work is called woolley. I wonder if he's a relation of yours
dwarfer800 Posted - 29/03/2006 : 11:34:26
my grandmother - gwyneth davies worked for them, she was a maid. also, i believe her father arthur davies was a gardener for them when they were at rhyd hall in the 1940's.

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.