Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Queens Ballroom - Amazing photos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 28/09/2013 : 10:37:14
More thanks to Glyn for these

Any thoughts on the year ?

22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
milkman Posted - 24/04/2020 : 20:17:25
What memories. Bert Johns would get some of the truly top bands- Jack Parnall, Ken McIntosh and others.
A Tredegar boy played in ken's band and he ws embarrassed when Ken highlighted him as a Tredegar boy.
Friday night was to records but Saturday with live msic.
Ah well
(My wife's mother would not let her go tp the Queens so I had to go to Town Hall when we were "courting")
JulesDrup Posted - 23/04/2020 : 20:55:34
My parents met at the Queen's ballroom in 1951 and ended up together for 47 years. I remember the Italian Cafe in the 60's. It felt like a real treat to go in there with the shiny fittings and the huge coffee machine. As a little girl it felt like going into a film set. Wonderful.
andy9 Posted - 26/10/2013 : 19:50:36
Great pictures of the Queens. Being born in the 70's its amazing to see the photos to go with the stories I heard off parents & grandparents of the "Queens ballroom" Unfortuantly I only remember it as Spatz & Marshes. Crap "Nightclubs" where it was all about the guaranteed fighting at the end of the night... Burger van opposite was the business though
keanjo Posted - 25/10/2013 : 17:37:16
The Welsh Italians were a great bunch. They were different but they fitted in brilliantly. I wish the Muslims.................

DKJones53
butch Posted - 25/10/2013 : 15:59:32
That would be the Queens Cafe,Gino Rabbioti and his wife were the owners. Gino made great coffee,and every Christmas he would put a drop of rum in your coffee,or whiskey in your tea whether you liked it or not,i mmust say i never complained.
keanjo Posted - 25/10/2013 : 12:23:12
I remember the cafe well.The boss used to sing arias in Italian when he served the customers

DKJones53
dutchjohn Posted - 25/10/2013 : 09:17:18
quote:
Originally posted by butch

The Queens Ballroom is still standing,obviously not as a dance hall but as a gymnasium and as far as i know a function room.
It was Harold Jordans butcher shop, and Mrs.Clement grocery shop that was demolished to make way for the Citizens Advice Bureau.
But,what wonderful photos. I had some cracking nights in the Queens, particularly in the late 50s and 60s. Can anyone remember the GoGo girls (dancers) appearing there in the 1960s ? you danced to live bands in those days,Herbert Johns owned the Queens,and also had a great band.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS.

Hi Butch,
I too remember the Queens Ballroom, didn,t we as youngsters go on a Friday night?? the inside was quite big and the stage for the band was at the back of the building, upstairs you coud get coffee or soda,s of various types and the bands were live Always,, none of the boys had as far as I know had any dance lessons so it was all do what you can and to hell with the consequences everybody was looking for a partner male and female alike, and it must have worked out for some , but not for me ,though I did meet my first girlfriend, sweet girl she was too, no longer amoung us I,m afraid passed on years ago,
anyway thats my trip down memory lane for today eccept to say this
next to the ballroom wasn,t there an italian cafe, with great ice cream and Pepsi,s that would have been on the right as you look at it ,
and on the left of Queens a shop much like lipton,s or mason,s like we all know it,s a long time ago many moons have risen and gone back to heaven since then,
so thanks to all who took the trouble to upload the photo,s every one of them get,s a prize from me good work
dutchjohn
scoobie Posted - 07/10/2013 : 16:29:41
I remember Jerry Allen on his organ!!! can be seen on Internet.

anne jones
scoobie Posted - 07/10/2013 : 16:27:58
Oh the Queens Ballroom, so many happy memories for me, rolling our coats under the seats, as there was no room in the cloakroom, but as safe3 as houses, meeting our futures husbands on the dance floor (not me, he had two left feet, but a Tredegar boy, now 82!) but I think so fondly of my home town.
butch Posted - 30/09/2013 : 19:55:58
The Queens Ballroom is still standing,obviously not as a dance hall but as a gymnasium and as far as i know a function room.
It was Harold Jordans butcher shop, and Mrs.Clement grocery shop that was demolished to make way for the Citizens Advice Bureau.
But,what wonderful photos. I had some cracking nights in the Queens, particularly in the late 50s and 60s. Can anyone remember the GoGo girls (dancers) appearing there in the 1960s ? you danced to live bands in those days,Herbert Johns owned the Queens,and also had a great band.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS.
pierre Posted - 30/09/2013 : 10:00:36
Thanks to fredd for finding this image

pierre Posted - 29/09/2013 : 10:18:17

pierre Posted - 29/09/2013 : 10:12:38

fredd Posted - 28/09/2013 : 22:56:26
quote:
Originally posted by bluebird2008

I worked there as a DJ when it was bought by Kurt Balz, who also owned L.C.R. That was also destroyed coincidentally by fire. That was in the early 70's

... Funnily Enough I was going to say that it was owned by the LCR at some stage, I seem to remember that only Lcr workers could buy tickets for the early discos, and My Auntie used to get some for me, i can Also remember that Very Early computer game that I beleive was called Pong, was also there and Far more Interesting at the time .. .. .. !!
bluebird2008 Posted - 28/09/2013 : 22:26:36
I worked there as a DJ when it was bought by Kurt Balz, who also owned L.C.R. That was also destroyed coincidentally by fire. That was in the early 70's
fredd Posted - 28/09/2013 : 21:05:51
It Did become Spatz and Marshes, A nightclub under the ownership of a Merthyr Man Called Dai Marsh, ..
fizz Posted - 28/09/2013 : 19:34:19
I don't remember the fire in the Queens. I was really surprised to see the photos because I worked in town then. I must have walked around with my eyes shut. Did it become Spatz after this?
tarkus Posted - 28/09/2013 : 18:44:05
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

About 82 perhaps?

It was used to store clothes, after the fire there were a lot of people walking around tredegar wearing the same sort of coats....all smelling like coal fires

Davey81 Posted - 28/09/2013 : 18:17:17
The Workmans hall is amongst a few other buildings in Tredegar that should have been saved & would have been an asset to the town & people of Tredegar, but was demolished & lost forever thanks to the short sightedness & lack of imagination by the local council.
What was it replaced with? A car park.
Quite a few other towns now have seen what a benefit these old buildings can be to the community & have repaired & refurbished them for modern use.
pierre Posted - 28/09/2013 : 17:57:27
Close, 1985.....

Was told today that at the time it was being used as a warehouse.....

tarkus Posted - 28/09/2013 : 15:27:46
About 82 perhaps?

Bryan Rendell Posted - 28/09/2013 : 14:17:12
Seeing this photograph of - I know it as Herbert Johns Dance Hall - is very sad for me and I'm sure many more of the members will feel the same.

I'm surely not the only one who feels that our town has been vandalized by the Powers to be. Bridge Street, Iron Row, Iron Street, The Workman's Hall etc. were all part of our Industrial History.

What is next on the agenda to be destroyed in the name of progress?

The Tredegar of my childhood was a lively town. I can, seeing the pictures of destruction, can now understand the feelings of some of you on this web site.

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.