Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Commercial Street - 1950's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 05/08/2015 : 13:37:03

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ShelleyW Posted - 20/08/2021 : 21:26:20
Really enjoyed going back down memory lane reading this post tonight.I do miss reading Emrys posts he had so much knowledge of Tredegar...
mikewed1 Posted - 13/04/2021 : 20:49:54
hi all

I seem to re-collect that Lamberts was a double fronted shop, Lamberts the one side and cannot remember the other, am I right , I keep racking my brains , I could be wrong.
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 20/02/2016 : 11:57:53
John Penberthy Jnr was the other brother who fought in WW1 and returned home, he was a sergeant.
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 20/02/2016 : 02:12:39
Three of the four Penberthy brothers served in WW1, they all returned home.Before they kept the post office they operated a fancy repository and house furniture shop from 54 Commercial Street. It was a family business where they made the furniture that they sold. The sons all had a trade, William, cabinet maker. George, carpenter & joiner.Francis pattern maker. George was a sub-postmaster and died about 1951.
Huwm Posted - 21/11/2015 : 19:58:02
Taken on a sunny June day in 1975.
pierre Posted - 20/11/2015 : 19:01:04
Another great photo via Huw,

Now I know this is one hell of an ask, but does anybody know anybody on the bus

Think the photo is from around 1975?

butch Posted - 10/11/2015 : 17:23:34
Now there's a blast from the past!! Far right to the end of the photo I can just make out a sign for Peglars. I had totally forgot about that general store.
milkman Posted - 10/11/2015 : 14:46:16
Maypole tea- What a great photo of a once-great town.
So busy and flourishing businesses. It appears to be late 20s early 30s by cars and bikes. The bikes are all "sit-up and beg" which was not true of the late 30s.
Note the push along delivery vehicle, just past Smiths.
Recalling that this was not long after the General Strike and possibly at the time of the Wall St Crash the tow looks pretty affluent.
Difficult to reconcile this scene with what it is like now.
Ah well !!!
pierre Posted - 05/11/2015 : 08:54:57
another image of Commercial Street...

May Pole Tea

butch Posted - 30/10/2015 : 17:04:23
Hi Geraldine, you are correct about Morgan's the Butcher, the young man you refer to is Colin Taylor who is now in his eighties. (By the way) you can't be too much younger than me if you can remember that far back
Geraldine Posted - 30/10/2015 : 15:14:44
I am a lot younger than quite a few contributors but noone has mentioned "Morgans the Butcher" in Castle Street on the opposite side to the Castle Hotel.The butcher whose name was John Morgan, died suddenly in the 1950s and his wife Ethel continued running the shop. I remember that one of the young men who worked for her was Colin but I can't remember his second name. They sold delicious faggots and the meat was of a high quality. i remember going there on a Saturday to buy a "nice piece of beef for about 10 shillings" for my mother.
What about Gomer Evans the barber and his wife Rita the hairdresser.? Their shop was next to Owens the fishmonger and greengrocer wasn't it.?
They moved to the South coast when they retired.
Daleks Posted - 26/10/2015 : 16:20:42
My mother told me once that she went to school in the 1920's with a son of the jewish family that kept a shop at that location and he went on to become a professor in Manchester University. His surname was Cohen.

quote:
Originally posted by emrys

My brother, Jack Derrick, purchased the shop in question (15 Church St)from the Wolfson Brothers, mens outfitters,.and occupied it until he was forced to sell by the scurvy council of the day.
In 1947 Ron Jenkins opened up his photography studio in the shop
but I can't recall if it had other occupants besides the PIONEER CHECK< C0,after he left and before Jack purchased it..Emrys.

pierre Posted - 21/10/2015 : 13:56:51
Here is another, great stuff

fredd Posted - 11/10/2015 : 18:27:56
Two Cracking Photo,s Huw ! Keep them coming . . !
Huwm Posted - 11/10/2015 : 16:41:21
Thanks Pierre for uploading these photos. The first picture dates from July 1962, whilst the second was taken in July 1970.
keanjo Posted - 03/10/2015 : 14:38:53
The buses are spotless. Windows gleaming and the driver in uniform and wearing a tie.Standards were much higher.
ddraig Posted - 03/10/2015 : 13:57:48
i was just thinking the exact thing butch! clean pavements can't see any spotty bits of gum either
Great photos

butch Posted - 03/10/2015 : 13:40:12
Great photos, and look how clean the pavements are, not a weed in sight, how times have changed, and not for the better!!!!.
pierre Posted - 03/10/2015 : 11:14:19
..and other great shop, showing Batemans in the background, and the corner of boots :o)

smokey Posted - 30/09/2015 : 22:51:35
Pearks was known as the Meadow
ShelleyW Posted - 30/09/2015 : 20:36:49
The shop where the lorry is parked and the blind on the front is Winters butchers where I still work.the sop which is Pearks is where the coffee shop is today .
butch Posted - 30/09/2015 : 20:25:36
Pearks was a general store just like the Home and Colonial, the Maypole.
pierre Posted - 30/09/2015 : 19:26:14
Many thanks to Huw for some great photos of bus's going along Commercial street.
Shall we start the ball rolling

In the background you can see the shop called "Pearks".

What did it sell ?

margaret briggs Posted - 07/09/2015 : 07:36:38
Just going back over the pictures of Commercial St. With Rabbiots and Red Lion on. I remember the small shop between was Nuths,he had a wet
fish slab in the front and the fish would be displayed on it.
When I was small my mother would go there for fresh fish and there was a lovely lady working there for Mr Nuth with the most georgus blond hair and I believe she lived up West Hill.

As for the Chinese children from the laundry,the only one I remember was Hor Chang.He went to Earl St school with my son in the early 60s.He was a brilliant scholar and I did hear he came back to a school reunion a few years back and I believe then living in London.

MARGARET
emrys Posted - 06/09/2015 : 23:50:59
My brother, Jack Derrick, purchased the shop in question (15 Church St)from the Wolfson Brothers, mens outfitters,.and occupied it until he was forced to sell by the scurvy council of the day.
In 1947 Ron Jenkins opened up his photography studio in the shop
but I can't recall if it had other occupants besides the PIONEER CHECK< C0,after he left and before Jack purchased it..Emrys.

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.