Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 Troedrhiwgwair Armageddon and all that

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 29/06/2020 : 10:39:53
Many thanks go out to Mr. Brian Gardner for allowing us to place this on the town website.

Brian's excellent book "Troedrhiwgwair-Armageddon and all that" give a full and fascinating read on the village of Troedrhiwgwair.

Download it here

If anybody also has any information to share on any part of the town, please contact us at webmaster@tredegar.co.uk

Thank you

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mrs Brown 06 Posted - 15/09/2020 : 21:29:44
Many thanks for the information , it has saved me a lot of hours searching.]Originally posted by bfgardner

Hello again Mrs Brown 06. I have checked the 1901 census and a Mr.Richard Rogers and family were now living at 40 Troedrhiwgwair. David Evans and family seems to have now moved from the village. Hope this is of help to you.
[/quote]
bfgardner Posted - 13/09/2020 : 20:21:57
Hello again Mrs Brown 06. I have checked the 1901 census and a Mr.Richard Rogers and family were now living at 40 Troedrhiwgwair. David Evans and family seems to have now moved from the village. Hope this is of help to you.
bfgardner Posted - 13/09/2020 : 20:09:00
Mrs Brown 06 can follow on from 1891 census to 1900 and 1911 census with the names given. That information can then be used to get birth, marrage and death cirtificates of family members.
bfgardner Posted - 13/09/2020 : 19:59:21
In 1891 a family whose head was David Evans(40) and wife Caroline(38) lived at 40 Troedrhiwgwair. At that time they had 6 children,4 sons and 2 daughters. Sons:David(18);William(16);Edward(8);Even?(1). Daughters:Mari An?(14);Caroline(10).This if from the 1891 Census information, and I suspect that Edward is the Great Great Uncle in question.
bfgardner Posted - 13/09/2020 : 19:38:35
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Brown 06

an amazing read,I have seen Troed on a birth certificate of a Edward Evans born in 1883 which I have surmised is my great great uncle, so it was interesting to learn where the family lived.
quote]Originally posted by pierre

Many thanks go out to Mr. Brian Gardner for allowing us to place this on the town website.

Brian's excellent book "Troedrhiwgwair-Armageddon and all that" give a full and fascinating read on the village of Troedrhiwgwair.

Download it here

If anybody also has any information to share on any part of the town, please contact us at webmaster@tredegar.co.uk

Thank you

[/quote]
Mrs Brown 06 Posted - 10/09/2020 : 07:14:52
an amazing read,I have seen Troed on a birth certificate of a Edward Evans born in 1883 which I have surmised is my great great uncle, so it was interesting to learn where the family lived.
quote]Originally posted by pierre

Download it here

Thank you

[/quote]
bfgardner Posted - 07/07/2020 : 11:33:27
Thank you milkman for the extra info.I am sure that the article will remind other members of events and other relevant histories that I hope they share on this forum.
bfgardner Posted - 07/07/2020 : 11:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Brian mentions Lord Aberconwy as having married Miss Pochin.
His original name was McLaren and he was chairman of the TIC. He was also chairman of John Brown Shipbuilders, Famous for many Cunarders includig Queens Mary, Elizabeth and QE2.
He did many good things for the TIC and Tredegar,
Incidentally Markham, McLaren and Wyllie were also named after persons associated with the TIC. That stopped when Oakdale was built
Ty Trist was named well before that time.

milkman Posted - 06/07/2020 : 19:48:56
Brian mentions Lord Aberconwy as having married Miss Pochin.
His original name was McLaren and he was chairman of the TIC. He was also chairman of John Brown Shipbuilders, Famous for many Cunarders includig Queens Mary, Elizabeth and QE2.
He did many good things for the TIC and Tredegar,
Incidentally Markham, McLaren and Wyllie were also named after persons associated with the TIC. That stopped when Oakdale was built
Ty Trist was named well before that time.
bfgardner Posted - 03/07/2020 : 10:59:57
I am most pleasedthat the history of Troed was found so interesting. The village has been part of the town for the best part of 150 years and tends to touch the heart of many. I would thank Pierre for placing it on his site. I have much information about the village and town and would hope in the future to share some of it with you. In the 1970's and 1980's the villge had a battle with firstly Tredegar and then Blaenau Gwent Councils to survive. With the support of then village and town residents, at that time and now, some of the village and its name are still hear and I am sure will be for many more years. It was nice to see that some of my school mates are still around fit and well and remembering how we then lived. Thank you.
Himalayan Scout Posted - 03/07/2020 : 07:21:45
Such an interesting read Brian.And being born in Troedrhiwgwair made the history which was previously unknown to me, all the more interesting.
The reason for me choosing "Himalayan Scout" as my forum name should be self- evident now.
milkman Posted - 02/07/2020 : 20:13:40
Hi ex-Brompton- My wife's family came from Aberedw just up the Wye from Boughrood. Unbelievably my family lived just over the valey at Alltmawr. It was my wife's family in Tried. Mine did not live there
Exbrompton Posted - 02/07/2020 : 20:03:35
What a wonderful nostalgic read especially as the Thomas Sheen mentioned was my great,great,uncle.He and his brothers,who lived in Bedwellty Pits,walked as teenagers from Boughrood in Radnorshire to Tredegar when their father died and they were evicted from their farm cottage.
tony Posted - 01/07/2020 : 11:05:57
Fabulous insight. My grandmother was born in 1910 in Troedhiwgwair so she maybe in the "babies class school photo".
dwjames40 Posted - 30/06/2020 : 22:50:48
Totally agree with milkman & Butch, excellent write up, like Butch being a “tip” boy and having made many friends with the Troed boys of the 50s/60s. A great village with great people. Noticed in the photo Of St. David’s walk a young Emrys Perry and Vernon Lewis who I later played football with at Troedrhiwgwair AFC, thanks Brian brought back many happy memories.
Nipper James
milkman Posted - 30/06/2020 : 20:38:03
What an excellent write-up Brian. Really enjoyable.
Part of our family lived in Troed in the late 1800s.
Charles Holley was a pork butcher and his wife kept the post office.
Thet lived in 36 according to the 1881 census. They had migrated from Herefords. Not unusual for those days about 7 of them lived in that house.
I seem to remember one of the Mason brothers had a milk round, He had a pre-war Hillman. His round was almost entirely in Troed but there may have been one or two customers at bottom end of Tredegar.
Also Dewi Waters from Troed was at the County school a year or so before me.
(I havea pic of a sunday school turn-out in Troed. let me know if it will be of interest so I can send it to Pierre)
butch Posted - 29/06/2020 : 22:45:00
A lovely read, just as I remember Brian's description of the village. Brian a I were in Georgetown Sec. Modern together . My friend Clive Thomas (mugsey) and me used to walk down to Troed institute for a game of snooker. In the winter Mr Gardner used to have a roaring fire in the big grate, and because we had walked down in the snow, he would make us a cup of tea, he was a lovely man.
Hello Brian, I haven't spoke to you for many months, I hope you and your family are keeping safe and well. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Kind regards, Graham lewis (Butch)
Bob Posted - 29/06/2020 : 16:45:04
What a fantastic read !! Thank you Brian Gardner and Pierre

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.