Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Grammar School Distribution of Prizes 1952

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 31/01/2014 : 09:37:29
Many thanks go to Dalex41 for this great bit of history from Tredegar Grammar School from 1952.

A lot of reconcilable names on this one

More pictures of the grammar school can be found here

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
butch Posted - 09/09/2020 : 23:36:39
Yes it seems to be a failing on most topics, I suppose it's a natural trait, that's in all of us.
Keith Marshall Posted - 09/09/2020 : 22:00:46
Thereís digression on most threads!
butch Posted - 09/09/2020 : 21:42:29
We seem to have digressed from the original topic regarding the Grammar School awards, but, with regards to Owen Fox, he used to cut my hair when I was a lad of about 7/8 yes.i am now 78yrs i have bought papers from the shop for about 60 years, to my knowledge there hasn't been another barber, other than Owen Fox there since. A young man whom I knew very well, his name was Lionel Cale, opened a Barbers shop in Glyn Ter. but it was higher up the street almost opposite Frank's fish &chip shop.
Keith Marshall Posted - 09/09/2020 : 20:08:12
So prior to Ron Griffiths owning the shop there was a barbers? I know my father established a barbers out the back of the shop in the mid 60s. Norman From Cefn Coed Was the first barber and then it was Roger, surnames elude me.
dwjames40 Posted - 08/09/2020 : 23:25:42
Sure you would have nutandboltdarlo the entrance to the shop being the newsagent, then a room to the right being the barbers.
nutandboltdarlo Posted - 08/09/2020 : 22:32:00
quote:
Originally posted by dwjames40

Ike it was Desmond who worked for the council.

nutandboltdarlo the family are all deceased

Jack died first in second world war.
Desmond was found dead in York Terrace.
Colin died in Tredegar.
Warren died in Hull (University Professor).
Brian died in America visiting his daughter and lived in Chepstow.

Thanks dwjames40 for your update on the Fox family. My grandparents lived in Vale Terrace, across the road from the newsagent in Glyn Terrace, so itís possible as a child I may have met Mr Fox Snr when buying comics or sweets.
milkman Posted - 06/09/2020 : 10:28:03
Margaret, That is even more surprising.
Your dad must have gone to university in the 30s. His parents would have needed to provide quite a bit since grants really improved after the war.
So his parents backed him but he didnt back you.
As I said only a few girls went to univesrity but your dad should have been more enlightened.
Regarding the prize giving- The school cricket team won every single game, which was remakable since ours was quite small school.
dalex41 Posted - 06/09/2020 : 00:05:49
RWWright(Dickie) taught me maths and agebra right throughout the Grammar School.
quote:
Originally posted by evansfam

Father used to teach Maths at Grammar school,perhaps he taught you?

Margaret Wathan

milkman Posted - 05/09/2020 : 19:58:49
No, Big Ben (Edwards) taught me
evansfam Posted - 05/09/2020 : 09:03:01
Father used to teach Maths at Grammar school,perhaps he taught you?

Margaret Wathan
milkman Posted - 04/09/2020 : 11:52:48
Responding to Margaret Wathan-
For whatever reason girls were encouraged to go to Training College but few went to University.
That is odd since Tred parents ,in general, were keen on their offspring being well eduactaed and supporting them in so doing.
dwjames40 Posted - 03/09/2020 : 17:54:16
Ike it was Desmond who worked for the council.

nutandboltdarlo the family are all deceased

Jack died first in second world war.
Desmond was found dead in York Terrace.
Colin died in Tredegar.
Warren died in Hull (University Professor).
Brian died in America visiting his daughter and lived in Chepstow.
dwjames40 Posted - 31/08/2020 : 20:26:39
Owen & Eunice Fox had five sons, Desmond, Colin, Brian, Warren and Jack.
butch Posted - 28/08/2020 : 17:13:29
As Dwjames stated, Owen Fox was a newsagent/barber, he was also a town councillor. I was unaware he had a son Jack who was killed in the last war. But I do remember his son Colin very well. He was a keen cyclist. I remember when he told his father that he and his big friend Ray Ambrey from Walter Street intended going to France on a cycling holiday, his father was aghast, and tried to talk him out of it, but go they did, and glad to say they got back home safe and sound. They were both around 18yrs. so was quite an adventure at the time.
ike Posted - 28/08/2020 : 14:42:07
Brian Fox lived at the end of York Terrace.He married Pamela Morris from Park view area.They had four children. He became head master in Chepstow area. The last time I spoke to him was at a magistrates meeting 22 years ago.There was a Colin Fox, Clerk to the Tredegar Council, I think he was also brother to Brian.

milkman Posted - 28/08/2020 : 09:47:52
Owen had a son who was at the "County" probably started about 1940. so he would now be about 90. I think he bacame a teacher. I think his name was Brian but I can confirm and put it on the forum.
They were a separate family from the Foxes with the GEM sweetshop. (Alan, Dickie and possibly one other)
nutandboltdarlo Posted - 27/08/2020 : 23:11:38
quote:
Originally posted by dwjames40

The Jack Fox , who nutandboltdarlo was not sure of was the son of Owen & Eunice Fox, (newsagent/ barber Glyn Terrace) who lost his life in World War 2, the ship he was on was torpedoed.

Thanks for that dwjames40. My question and your reply has at least served to perpetuate the memory of Jack Fox for a while longer. Do you (or anyone else) know whether there are any members of the family still living in Tredegar?
dwjames40 Posted - 26/08/2020 : 21:59:17
The Jack Fox , who nutandboltdarlo was not sure of was the son of Owen & Eunice Fox, (newsagent/ barber Glyn Terrace) who lost his life in World War 2, the ship he was on was torpedoed.
ShelleyW Posted - 26/08/2020 : 21:48:28
Margaret Wnes Name is there a few times,a lovely lady she went on to teach in Bedwellty school for many years.
evansfam Posted - 25/08/2020 : 12:04:46
I even had a few mentions in this programme. Worked till after 'O' levels then stopped after telling my father I wanted to be a doctor & his reply ' Too expensive, training too long,& girls don't do it. Never forgot it. Told my daughter I'd support her in her choice & she chose to become a solicitor. Still have regrets on my career path.

Margaret Wathan
nutandboltdarlo Posted - 23/08/2020 : 23:22:33
A bit before my time, but fascinating.

My memory has failed me concerning the Jack Fox Memorial Essay Prize - obviously given a very prominent place in the list of prizes Who was Jack Fox? Was there a particular reason for his being remembered in this way? Iím guessing he was killed in one of the world wars but that is just a guess. And, all these many years later, is his memory still being kept alive at the Comprehensive School with an annual essay prize?
KenJ Posted - 31/01/2014 : 18:19:09
Well spotted fredd
fredd Posted - 31/01/2014 : 17:58:37
quote:
Originally posted by KenJ

A regular contributor to this forum has his name listed more than once....any guesses?

.. I Guess that Must be Milkman ..
smokey Posted - 31/01/2014 : 17:39:15
John Yandle
KenJ Posted - 31/01/2014 : 17:03:47
A regular contributor to this forum has his name listed more than once....any guesses?

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.