Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Tredegar Town Council
 Town Clock - UPDATE - SIGN ONLINE PETITION HERE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2007 :  17:53:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he keeps going it might get the hands moving
Go to Top of Page

mturvey

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2007 :  08:19:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read about the problems with the Tredegar Town clock and the Council. My Great grandfather used to maintain this great clock c1895 - c1905, my grandnmother was born in 29 Back Row Street, Tredegar and I'm a Chief Executive of a Borough Council in Dorset - so know a little about the challenges facing councils. Let's hope that the Town Council can raise the funds to ensure that this iconic monument keeps ticking away for the benefit of residents and visitors.

Can anyone tell me where Back Row Street was - and is it possible to buy a map of Tredegar c 1900?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2007 :  09:06:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Welcome, and thanks for posting. Allegedly, the Council have secured the funds necessary, and the contract for restoration/repairs has been awarded. An email I received from Tredegar Town Clerk, Dr John Evans, claims that works would begin end May/early June. Never the less, as we approach July there has been no sign of work beginning.

EDIT: (Where are my manners?)
Try this link - http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

All available for purchase.

HELP GET THE CLOCK WORKING. PLEASE CLICK THE LINK

http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 29/06/2007 10:50:25
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  21:10:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These fences... Be they indicative of works beginning?

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 08/07/2007 10:45:33
Go to Top of Page

Bubbles

31 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  23:06:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
either that or just put up to make us think that so we'll stop nagging!
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:58:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They wouldn't do that, would they?

..Or, they could be there to keep Jones The Sign out.

########################

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:07:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just seen that the fences have started going around the clock !

Amazing !

Well done all :-)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2007 :  19:42:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the work has started?

Maybe?

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2007 :  21:47:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Work beginning on The Clock - Maybe?

I heard there is an upside-down sign on the fence stating - DEEP EXCAVATION.

The people underneath The Clock, who turned it, have died perhaps?

EDIT: This ain't over 'til it chimes 4!

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 14/07/2007 22:44:35
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2007 :  13:04:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the excavation sign is now right way up the site safety notice facing castle st is upside down perhaps they,v be been put up to benefit the cefn golau land rover driver.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Marshall

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2007 :  16:42:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I arrived in Tredegar last Friday and thought I'd take a detour through town to look at the clock. Saw the fences and a solitary worker moving cobblestones. These are obviously important in the correct functioning of the clock. So progress has been made. I'm sure I'll be down again shortly but with the impending holiday shut down not much will be achieved in the meantime. Perhaps some Ebbw Vale councillors wanted the cobbles for their gardens.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2007 :  19:34:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2007 :  22:14:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonky signs & cobblestones is it?

This one next:-

Go to Top of Page

Bubbles

31 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  00:50:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm.....3 skips now....
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  08:44:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbles

hmm.....3 skips now....

As requested!

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2007 :  10:20:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets hope that Tredegar Council is using a skip company from Tredegar....

It could be embarrassing if they didn’t ?
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  09:50:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Lets hope that Tredegar Council is using a skip company from Tredegar....

It could be embarrassing if they didn’t ?

I don't think there are any Tredegar skip companies?

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  09:57:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Marshall

Well I arrived in Tredegar last Friday and thought I'd take a detour through town to look at the clock. Saw the fences and a solitary worker moving cobblestones. These are obviously important in the correct functioning of the clock. So progress has been made. I'm sure I'll be down again shortly but with the impending holiday shut down not much will be achieved in the meantime. Perhaps some Ebbw Vale councillors wanted the cobbles for their gardens.

Why are they removing the cobbles from around the town clock, is it?

1 The work has nothing to do with the repair of the clock.
2 Preparation is underway to move the clock to Ebbw Vale.
3 Some councillors want a nice new patio.
4 The cobblestones are being taken away to be cleaned of chewing gum.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  19:38:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Keith Marshall

Why are they removing the cobbles from around the town clock, is it?

1 The work has nothing to do with the repair of the clock.
2 Preparation is underway to move the clock to Ebbw Vale.
3 Some councillors want a nice new patio.
4 The cobblestones are being taken away to be cleaned of chewing gum.

5 looking for old crisp packets
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  20:45:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the delay in fixing the clock was the £100,000 needed to get the electric workings sorted out?

Why all the skips, why dig stuff up ?

Does anybody know what else they are doing ?

Does it come from the 100k required ?

I'm confused (but thats not hard....).
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2007 :  11:40:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SWISH SWISH
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2007 :  23:00:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

I thought the delay in fixing the clock was the £100,000 needed to get the electric workings sorted out?

Why all the skips, why dig stuff up ?

Does anybody know what else they are doing ?

Does it come from the 100k required ?

I'm confused (but thats not hard....).

Indeed. May i quote Town Clerk, Dr John Evans, in his letter to the Western Mail, dated May 21st, 2007:-

quote:
Clock’s time’s come.

SIR – The problems with Tredegar Town Clock have been the subject of much speculation.
Whilst all this has been happening, Tredegar Town Council with our consultants Capita Symonds, in partnership wit Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, have been working to assemble the financial package necessary to allow the works to go forward.
On Wednesday May 16, Tredegar Town Council took the decision to award the contract for the restoration to A & N Lewis.
Works will commence as soon as possible with the intention of full completion well in time for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the clock’s operation in Tredegar in 2008.
May I, through this column, pass on the information that the clock is to be restored and will be back in operation well before the end of the year. Despite the rumours and negative speculation of some, Tredegar’s residents will once again be proud of the clock which has been silent these last few months.

JOHN R P EVANS
Town Clerk, Tredegar Town Council, Bedwellty,Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent

RE:- The Deep Excavation. No idea... But tell me, would The Clock source its power from an underground line? Might they be replacing/repairing that as well? Surely the cobblestones can be re-used if any underground access is required, and any excavation will need to be refilled, so the skips are a mystery.

:- The Grant Money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was initially awarded for the beautification of Bedwelty House & Park wasn't it? Has any work begun on that?

Whatever they're doing, it needs an eye kept on it. Especially what goes in the skips, and where it ends up. For what it's worth, I truly believe Tredegar Town Council could have, and should have done more in keeping us up to date with what is going on.

Hold an informal information meeting in the park.
Put leaflets in the mail to the townsfolk.
Post notices in/on meeting places, pubs & shops around town.

There is an update on Tredegar Town Council website stating, and I quote, "9th July 2007 - Work starts on Town Clock more to follow"
http://www.tredegartowncouncil.org.uk/

I hate to think when/if/what 'more to follow' means, and when/how it will be announced.

Go to Top of Page

Bubbles

31 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2007 :  18:55:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Dr John not realise yet that this is the sort of thing that gets everyone so annoyed? The lack of information!

OK so work has begun but doing what??? The cobbles and the wall around the outside aren't the part that isn't working! The cobbles and the wall are doing their job very nicely!! It's 70foot further up that the work needs to start!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  13:04:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6936446.stm

Not just us then....
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2007 :  09:49:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below is the latest unanswered email sent to the relevant authority concerning The Town Clock.

quote:
TredegarTc@btconnect.com info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk c2bg@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk
FOR ATTENTION OF:-
Dr John Evans,
Tredegar Town Clerk.

Dear Sir,
As I'm sure you are aware, I (and may others) have a keen interest in the Tredegar Town Clock. Over the approx 10 weeks since you last contacted me, I have been informed of several developments in the repairs/restoration of The Clock.
Your letter to the editor of the Western Mail, dated May 21st 2007, stating that the contract for repairs had been awarded. One is to assume from this, that monies have been secured. I take it, from the grant Tredegar was awarded for the beautification of Bedwelty Park & House. Having spoken to several people in Tredegar, they also believe this to be the case.
On the weekend including June 23rd, 2007, a notice was place on the gates of The Clock stating, "Please Note - Due to the Impending Restoration Work Which Will Begin on The Clock Shortly, Tredegar Town Council Will Not Be Planting Around The Clock This Year. Instead The Area Around The Bandstand Has Already been Planted."
On or about 6th July, 2007, construction fences were erected around The Clock, with several warning/safety signs posted. One of these states an intention of deep excavation. Also in the days following, a workman was noticed removing the cobblestones from around the base.
9th July, 2007, a short notice on the TTC website stating works have begun, with more to follow.

Assuming the above is factual, could you please confirm a few things, and answer others for me please.

1. The repairs/restoration work on Tredegar Town Clock is funded by the lottery grant.
2. When will/did work begin on the beautification of Bedwelty House & Park take place & how long until completed?
3. Why is deep excavation near to The Clock necessary? (I am surmising it receives electrical power from an underground line?)
4. What is the purpose of the removal of the cobblestones?
5. Are any/all of the above, to do with repairs to The Clock, or are there other/unforeseen problems?

In closing Sir, may I say, I am not your enemy. I can only imagine the issues one has to deal with, on limited funding. However, in my experience, on any issue, negative speculation & rumours only surface when real, substantiated facts are not available. There is very little information available, even on the Tredegar Town Council website, and what of people with no internet access? Would you agree Mr. Evans, that in this day and age, it is no longer good enough nor acceptable to 'trust to luck' on issues concerning the general population? If the local media won't pick up on the story (and you yourself needing to address a letter to the editor), then surely something else can be done to inform all. Be it by a meeting of citizens & TTC or a regular newsletter, or other avenues of communication. Personally, and I believe this to be shared by others, 3 monthly vague updates on a website, laminated A4 notices & letters to the editor, do not reach the masses. Indeed they rely on others to pass the message on. This is also where facts may get corrupted, as people may unintentionally add to, or detract from the facts at hand.

Thank you for your time...
Regards,
Brad Birch.

As you can see, it's certainly not threatening nor rude. In fact I think it's quite polite with some questions we would all like some answers to. It doesn't seem to be too much to ask, but having sent this on the 20th of July I doubt I will be holding my breath for any answers from the above addressee's.
I shall contact Trish Law (following the chain of command & Cc to Mohammad Asghar) with all correspondence I have sent and received concerning The Clock and see how I get on.

A quick impersonation of Dr. J when he sees my emails...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.