Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Tredegar Town Council
 Town Clock - UPDATE - SIGN ONLINE PETITION HERE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  00:38:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As was advised on the Town News, the Gwent Gazette got involved with the campaign, writing an article on The Clock & petition.

Timely clock campaign starts from Down Under.
by Jamie L. Robins, Gwent Gazette.

A MAN living more than 10,000 miles away from Tredegar has started an online petition to save the famous town clock.

Brad Birch, of Beresfield, New South Wales, Australia, was so upset to hear the clock had been out of action for almost a year he started an internet campaign.
Support gathered for the cause that was linked to the popular website www.tredegar.co.uk.
Mr Birch was born in Australia but recalls being told great stories of Tredegar by his grandfather, George Holder, who lived in Queen Victoria Street.
“My grandfather was born in 1912 and emigrated to Australia in 1928 as part of the Bigger Brothers programme,” Mr Birch explained.
“He would sit me down for hours at a time and talk about Tredegar and Wales.
“Over the years it started nagging on me to do something that involved Tredegar.”
Mr Birch started researching his grandfather’s home town and has even visited Tredegar since, once in 1998 and again in 2001.
“They say if Wales is in your blood then there will be times when it needs to come out, and it was like I had a calling,” Mr Birch said.
“When I got to Tredegar it was pouring down with rain but I loved it.
“The instant I saw the clock for the first time my eyes just filled with tears.
“There in front of me was this magnificent structure, over 70ft high, I stood there in the rain and waited for it to chime.”
One day, while reading about Tredegar online, Mr Birch discovered the clock, that had meant so much to his grandfather, had stopped working.
“I couldn’t believe it had been out of action for so long,” he said.
“I could see no reason for it – throughout the World Wars it never stopped working as long as that.
“I was in touch with some friends on the Tredegar website forum and I decided to set up a petition.”
The clock has since been repaired but Mr Birch and has friends have made the decision to keep the petition going to show how much the clock means to people.
To sign the petition you can find the link by visiting the General Discussion section on www.tredegar.co.uk/forum

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/01/10/timely-clock-campaign-starts-from-down-under-91466-20321782/

TTC-Communicate:-http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4092

TTC-Fix The Clock:-http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  22:09:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attention: TTC & Councillors.

To whom it may concern,

Did you think I was a novelty? Did you think I was gonna go away?

Put a working bloody light bulb in Tredegars Town Clock!

You instill absolutely no confidence in your ability to fix Tredegar if you can't keep the focal point of the Town (i.e. The Clock) working correctly for more than a week.

Get it fixed. And I don't wanna hear any filibustering crap about funding, cadw, capita symonds or associated delays.

We know you have the financial assets, due to your Balance Of Accounts. It's a light bulb, not a household bulb, but still, just a light bulb.

Fix The Clock... NOW!

Regards,

One Arrogant Australian Of Tredegar Descent.

TTC - Fix The Clock:- http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

TTC - Communicate Now:- http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4092

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  12:39:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email sent to Tredegar Town Council today.

quote:
To whom it may concern,

We contact you on behalf of the www.Tredegar.co.uk website.

Any and all correspondence including this email will be posted on the Tredegar Forum for the viewing of the members and the public.

Can you please provide some information as to why the Clock face is not illuminated at night?

We understand you have recently awarded a contract for the lighting of the clock for the 150th birthday celebrations.

Can you provide any further information on this?

The concern arises because of the associated costs and delays in repairing the Clock last year.

Regards,

The WebTeam@Tredegar.co.uk

TTC - Fix The Clock Again:- http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  21:52:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info on the lighting of the clock...

The design of the lighting is by a Scottish guy, and is waiting final approval.

Still no firm date as to when the install will take place.

TTC - Fix The Clock:- http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

TTC - Communicate Now:- http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4092

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  10:37:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres always the question 'what does a scotsman have under his kilt'.
Well lets hope this buggers got a light bulb

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  10:41:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

Theres always the question 'what does a scotsman have under his kilt'.
Well lets hope this buggers got a light bulb

Let's hope he doesn't light it from below then Mate.

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  17:25:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least we'd see which clan he was from then.....if he's got a 1/4 pounder he must be a macdonalds

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  22:28:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a mate (enjoying a snifter of port ) text me that the clock is still in darkness.

Apparently, the close to 100,000 pounds TTC have in reserve, will not extend to replacing the light bulb.

It is a shame that Dr. John Evans couldn't be more forthcoming and indeed honest, when it comes to Tredegars Town Clock.

In all reality, I don't, nor have I ever expected a response from them, reasoning - I don't vote. However, this shouldn't impact on the Councils ability to communicate to the Towns Folk.

Have you noticed, that media items on Bedwellty House & Park have dried up, ever since they called for "public consultation" into the restoration?

Bedwellty House isn't the HQ of TTC..... It's been taken over (long ago) by a bunch of squatters.

Petition:- Fix The Clock.

Petition:- TTC Communicate.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2008 :  22:55:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ON SALE NOW

Mugs commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Town Clock.
Available from IN THE PINK, Commercial Street, Tredegar.
Price £2.50 per mug with all proceeds going to In The Pink & Tredegar Mayor's Appeal 2008/09.

https://www.tredegar.co.uk/clock target= _blank Clock /a !" target="_blank">http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

https://www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc target= _blank TTC /a Comminicate!" target="_blank">http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4092

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  13:53:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For several months now our town clock has been faulty. It works, then it stops, then it works, then something else goes wrong with it.

Over 6 weeks ago, we sent an e-mail to Tredegar Town council on the issue of the lack of Illumination on the four faces of the clock.

They did not reply to this request for information, so I've sent the letter below seeking to find out why the delays in getting our clock back is full working order......

and below just a quick reminded of what we were told by the labour party of Tredegar Town Council on our clock....:

Could start blowing holes in the bit above from two miles away....
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  13:01:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going on 18 months now, without a Town Clock working as it should.

The Town Clerk should step aside or follow the advice, and retire. He's past it.

The Town Council should hang their collective heads in shame.

Go to Top of Page

Cae

2350 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  14:38:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a slight senior moment here but vaguely recall there was a motion that the clerk had to reapply for his role every so often due to being past retirement age? Apologies if it's worded incorrectly but was along those lines?

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  14:46:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ya Cae,

Indeed you are smack on Sister.

quote:
4) One Voice Wales:- Response from Ken Burton regarding the Clerks position regarding his continued employment past retirement. The Clerk was asked to leave during the discussion of the One Voice email regarding his continuing employment. Following discussion it was agreed to operate a status-quo i.e. the Clerk would be required to give 6 months notice of future requests to continue his employment as Town Clerk.

Available on TTC's website, under November 2007 Minutes.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  09:10:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did someone light a candle?

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  23:10:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now looking at the below, it can only be one of three reasons why we still have an incomplete clock.

Reason 1.
Tredegar Town council applied LATE for the required planning to get the new lights, or

Reason 2.
Blaenau Gwent Council are dragging their feet in the process, or

Reason 3.
A mixture of both....

Its been well over two months now, so somebody in one of the Councils is to blame......

I can smell the finger pointing already.....

Will find out, and report back....

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  11:09:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Songs To Mark Double Occasion.
Source - Gwent Gazette.

THE streets of Tredegar will be alive with the sound of music later this month when a Songs of Praise concert is held to celebrate the town’s two upcoming anniversaries.
To mark the 150th birthday of the town clock and the 60th anniversary of Aneurin Bevan founding the NHS, a local Christian group has invited members of the public to attend an open air service to take place in the streets around the clock.
Christians Together wants as many people as possible to go along to the concert on Sunday, June 22 to give the town a suitable climax to the events taking place over the coming weeks.
The group has also invited local dignitaries and Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock to the event, which they say will be a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Vice-chairwoman of the group, Janet Price said: “Anybody can come, it is an opportunity not to be missed.”
Group secretary Anita Latham said: “This is an idea that we thought would encompass the celebrations.
“The message is that Tredegar is still alive, there are a lot of good things happening and it’s well worth it.”
On the night music will be provided by Tredegar Town Band and the service will be opened with a prayer from Father John Davies and closed by Reverend Islwyn Morgan.
The service starts at 2.30pm.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  21:54:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if you don't live in Tredegar, Tredegar Town council will dismiss you .... because your not relevant..

Nice one Town Council, that’s yet another classic bit of communication from you to keep on this site for all to see....

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  22:04:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, what did we do next, simple, we contacted the planning department in Blaenau Gwent Council and asked them what the delay was.

The answer was direct from Blaenau Gwent, "TREDEGAR TOWN COUNCIL TOOK ALMOST 6 MONTHS, AND THREE ATTEMPTS TO FILL IN THE PAPERWORK TO FINISH THE CLOCK"

We have today sent the following off to Tredegar Town Council.

11th June 2008
Tredegar Town Council
Bedwellty House,
Morgan St,
Tredegar,
Gwent
NP22 3XN

Dear Mr Evans,

Thank you for your reply dated 28th May 2008.
We make the following points and corrections to the Tredegar Town
Councils attention.

Point 1.
Please find attached a copy of the e-mail that was sent to Tredegar
Town Council. Please take a look at the second line “We contact
you on behalf of the www.Tredegar.co.uk website”. The email
itself was also sent out from the webteam@tredegar.co.uk
address.

You are more than aware of the work that www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd
does for the town of Tredegar from previous correspondence, and
using the excuse you have as a reason not to reply to a Tredegar
based not-for-profit limited company that’s sole intention is to
promote the town of Tredegar, is nothing less then unprofessional,
and casts the council in the same light.

Mr Birch does not live in Tredegar, but works (for nothing) for a
company/organisation that is based in the town of Tredegar.
In May 2008 the Tredegar.co.uk website received over 50’000
visitors, and thousands of these visitors were not from Tredegar.
Indeed, in the last few minutes we have received e-mail from a lady
from Florida in the USA asking questions about our town clock.

We can now see in your correspondence that you would also ignore
correspondence to these people because as you put it, it would not
“affect” them! Is this the message that you want to give to the
world on the Town Council, and the people of Tredegar, because
that is just what you did.

Maybe Mr. Evans with your dismissal of enquiries from people
outside of the town, maybe you can confirm to me which part of
Tredegar you currently live in?

Point 2.
As for the issue of the lack of illumination of the clock face we have
been in contact with the planning department in the County Council.
We informed them that Tredegar Town Council had, and I quoted
directly from you “has not been granted despite having been
applied for many weeks ago”.

We then got told the history of the application, something that you
did not disclose to us.

Tredegar Town Council applied for the relevant planning permission
on the 19th December 2007 to Blaenau Gwent Council. The form
was completed incorrectly by Tredegar Town council and returned
to them with a letter from Blaenau Gwent Council.

The application was then completed again by Tredegar town Council
and returned to the Planning department in Blaenau Gwent Council,
but for the second time this was also completed incorrectly and
returned to Tredegar town Council with a letter from Blaenau Gwent
Council..

The actually correctly completed application was not
received until the 29th May, several months after the first
application was made and our clock was left with no
illumination. To quote from Blaenau Gwent Council Planning
department “the delay was down to J R P Evans of Tredegar
Town Council not being able to complete the relevant
paperwork”

We understand that Tredegar Town Council has some small input on
planning matters for the town, and for the Town Council to be
unable to complete the relevant paperwork for the work on the
clock is nothing less that a shambles.

It has been reported that the clock is now once again illuminated at
night. We can only assume that the older lighting has been switch
on again? Who knows?

Point 3.
It has been commented on by people of the town that the Tredegar
Town Council website is now (again) wildly out of date. For
example, the minute’s section has not been updated since the start
of the year some 5 months ago!

A delay of a few weeks could be explained once by lack of
resources, but for a delay in half a year where other section of the
site has been updated will be hard to believe for the tax payers of
the Town.

Point 4.
We are still waiting for the requested paperwork that you in your
letter dated 13th March promised to myself.

Point 5.
We request that Tredegar Town Council explains why the Town
Council did not get the relevant “go ahead” for the clock-to-clock
race that was to be held this year before it was advertised?
Tax payers of Tredegar have been left to pay the wages of people,
as well as the office costs to organise and advertise the event. To
build up peoples hopes with such events and then not to deliver, is
disappointing for us all.

Did Tredegar Town Council not ask Blaenau Gwent Council for
advice on the event in the planning or feasibility stage of the event?

Please raise and record this letters and its points in the next Town
Council meeting, and please note that this letter and all
correspondence from you are available for the public to see on our
website.

Yours Sincerely,
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  01:15:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good one Pierre! The arrogant so-and-so's!!! I have never lived in Tredegar, but it has a special place in my childhood memories. I CARE about the town and all the other communities in the valleys. It's this sort of dimissive attitude that has been the demise of community spirit.
Yes, Dr. Evans, I'm 12,000 miles away too, but I'm still a regular visitor to Tredegar, I have lots of relatives there! I also visit Tredegar everyday via this website! Your comments and attitude do NOTHING to enhance people's idea of the town and it just makes you sound extremely parochial. It's a big, wide world, you know, and there are Tredegarites everywhere!
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  10:07:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing Evans is a doctor of, is spin, as he has proved himself to be a liar in his professional capacity as Town Clerk. (Witholding the truth is the same as lying.)

Remember when we asked him to comment on the workings of TTC, and he needed to take legal advice? Well now he needs to take some medical advice for the issues he has with the truth.

He won't reply to any more emails, as (in his ignorant opinion) someone 12,000 miles away isn't affected by his amateurish attempts to do his job. So why did he reply to the first one sent? The only reason he used my name...
quote:
"Brad Birch in Australia knows about the clock, and I'm pleased with that."
..at the very beginning of the BBC interview was to lend it some creedence and substance. He had very little to say otherwise, and that which was said, was just mindless babble infused with (now proven) lies, not to mention the obvious hypocrisy.

There are plans already in place, to use his name without his permission, pointing out his various, numerous and obvious failings. When complete, it will help form part a newsletter sent to over 16,000 people world wide, including Tredegar ex-pats.

Further, we received an email response after forwarding TTC's Code Of Conduct to an independant UK based organization, that specializes in such matters.

quote:
From what I have seen of this ( TTC) Code of Conduct, it looks pretty much archaic. It appears to be engrossed with members personal interests. Have they not heard of The Conduct of Members (Model Code of Conduct - Wales) Order 2001?

For example:

"4(a). Members of the authority must carry out their duties and responsibilities with
due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity for all people, regardless of
their gender, race, disability, s**ual orientation, age or religion, and show respect and
consideration for others.

5. Members must not prevent any person from gaining access to information to which
that person is entitled by law."

Ergo, it is doubtful that TTC's Code Of Conduct complies with the 2001 order.

Evans wants to lie to justify his pathetic existence as Town Clerk? We'll shoot him down every time with facts. He makes it easy... The best way to prove someone wrong is with their own words and he gives us all the ammunition we need.

Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

410 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  17:05:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sat in my car outside Nelsons chemist, Ah the sound of Tredegar Clock striking 10 only a few minutes early,nice sound though, a smallie Big Ben
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
872 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  17:44:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sailor

Sat in my car outside Nelsons chemist, Ah the sound of Tredegar Clock striking 10 only a few minutes early,nice sound though, a smallie Big Ben

The clock doesn't seem to be as loud for some reason now :{
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

410 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  13:57:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenneth needs his beuty sleep,shhhhh,he might complain
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2350 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  17:03:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I am quite shocked by the letter from the Town Clerk. Regardless of his personal feelings a response like that is in my oppinion an embarrassment to the town council and should be looked into. I also feel an apology is due to the recipient and also to everyone outside of Tredegar that is fond of our clock and may have been offended by the remarks in the letter. It doesn't matter how annoyed or frustrated a town clerk may be- that letter is supposed to represent the council and should not have gone out like that. The clock is known in many places around the world - for example I know people that have travelled to Tredegar to see the illuminations at Christmas. I would like to give my backing that the letters are presented at the next council meeting so that they are made aware of the offence caused to visitors and supporters of this town by their representative. I know Dr Evans may have been annoyed whilst drafting the letter but that is no excuse- I interpreted the letter to be sarcastic in places and and I know that if I had sent out a letter on behalf of my former employers in such a manner I would have been "hauled before the boss" to explain myself! Shameful.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  23:03:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that I just cannot understand above everything else is not just the content of the letter written Tredegar Town Council, but also its timing.

Right now in the town we are celebrating 150 years of the clock and the anniversary of the NHS. All of the country and a lot of the world will be looking at Tredegar because of these historic events, not current new events sadly enough, but if we can build on it as a town, then that’s a positive move.

Then, Tredegar town Council put in writing, that the town clock and its existence does not "affect" people living out of the town, and they ignore request on it for information.

How dare they!

I know, next time the BBC talks to a member of the Council or its staff and they mention “Tredegar Town Council” about 20 times, I rock up out of the blue and show the interviewer the letter that the Town council has written, and what it things about people out of town ?

Town Council, you've just blown a big hole in the good ship Tredegar, and we are talking in water, fast.......

"TREDEGAR TOWN COUNCIL TOOK ALMOST 6 MONTHS, AND THREE ATTEMPTS TO FILL IN THE PAPERWORK TO FINISH THE CLOCK" - quote from Blaenau Gwent Council
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.