Tredegar County Grammar School
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Don Alexander Davies

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  14:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended TCGS from 1952 to 1960. I can distinctly remember the main corridor in the school being lined with old photographs. Does anyone out there remember them and also know where they are now ? The school was also divided into "houses" viz Gwent,Mons and Mynwy. Annually competitions were held in sports,swimming ,eistedfoddau etc, and trophies were awarded to the winning "houses" in the form of shields and trophy cups etc, does anyone know what happened to these ?

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  01:05:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Don
I remember you and your brother Frank from Sirhowy many years ago.
I was in Mynwy house - blue badge with a yellow star...definitely the cream of T.G.S. - from both the academic and sporting point of view.

In fact, we met some years ago at Cwmbran when your son and mine were "passing out" as police officers.
I hope you are keeping well...best regards to you and your family.
Go to Top of Page

Don Alexander Davies

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  19:59:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken
Of course I remember meeting you at our sons' passing-out parade at Cwmbran several years ago. I too was in Mynwy house and recall us being tops in most competitions. I had the honour of being house-captain at junior, middle, and senior levels and am proud to have been the holder of the "victor ludorum" at all three levels during my years at TCGS. Frank and I still live in Tredegar allbeit at opposite ends of the town. Nice hearing from you and I hope you and your family are all well.All the best!
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2016 :  00:30:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember above all the doors a name plaque of previous pupil's who had fought and died in WW1.
Go to Top of Page

Muffin27

94 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  09:35:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a pupil at Tredegar County School in the Thirties. I remember the honours board containing the names of the 'old boys' who had died in the Great War. It was housed in the hall where we had our assembly every morning. Every year on Armistice Day we had a special service when the names were read out in alphabetical order.
One of the men (boys?) on the list was Wilfred Onions, son of the local MP. Wilfred's sister (Miss Onions) taught me in Georgetown Junior School.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  00:30:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Roll of honour board that you mention was moved to the Tredegar Comprehensive School Hall. It was recently visited by the Tredegar WW1 group who photographed and recorded the information. If any one is interested or require any information regarding WW1 the group meet each Friday morning at Tredegar Library, the group also welcome any information, photographs etc, everything will be recorded and returned immediately.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1601 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2021 :  17:42:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, A bit late but I have copies of the school cricket teams for 1949-52.
I had a pic of the cast of HMS Pinafore (or possibly The Mikado) but I passed it to Margaret Miles (nee Samuel) who was featured on it.I was at the school exactly ten years earlier Don
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.