Gardeners Corner
 lilies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  15:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My lilies are about 3 inches high but because they are in pots and under cover the growth is very pale green. I hope to be able to put them out soon and have some better shoots. Last year they grew but the wind and rain knocked them down and they didn't really recover. hoping for better weather for the poor things this year!!

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  18:48:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05 I have grown lilies for many years and I took mine out of the greenhouse earlier last week because they were sprouting and very pale green and they are showing no ill effect.

I also stake my Lillie's when tall enough to stop the wind from blowing them over.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  18:57:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05 there is another way that you can harden them off and that is to leave them out 24/7 but cover them with agricultural fleece at night.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  12:20:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips. We have now put them out in a cold greenhouse and will be covering them at night with fleece. I did stake them last season but the rain just turned them to muck, and the wind blew the petals off. Maybe they (and us) will enjoy some better weather this year?
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  16:52:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have now put the lillies out, looking very green and well! Will keep some fleece over them at night, but so far so good!!!
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  18:17:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05 keep a look out for The red or scarlet lily beetle (Lilioceris lilii) has become the lily growers’ nemesis. Both the adults and larvae can defoliate lilies (Lilium and Cardiocrinum) and fritillaries (Fritillaria).
Adults are 8mm long, bright red with a black head and legs.
Eggs are 1mm long and orange-red, found in groups on the underside of lily and fritillary leaves.

Larvae have orange bodies with black heads but are normally covered with their own slimy black excrement. The fully grown larvae are 8-10mm long. The pupal stage is in the soil.

The beetle became established in Surrey in 1939 and it remained confined to south east England until the late 1980s. By the end of 2011 it had become widespread in England and Wales and was spreading in Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is also beginning to spread in the Republic of Ireland.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  08:18:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darole, thanks for the warning about the beetle, but I had them visit last year. We wondered what they were, they are very bright red, aren't they? If we have them again this year (only 2 or 3 last year) what can you do to control thier numbers? Would they be in the soil from last year?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  12:41:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love lillies but as I have cats I avoid them, please be aware that some lillies are highly poisonous to cats even the pollen
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  13:17:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05 .. My method is diligence and a light spray of sunflower oil on the underside if the leaves when i first find the larvae. I also ensure that I kill all larvae that I find.

An infestation of Lily Beetles can be controlled by using organic methods of pest control.

In springtime inspect young lily plants as they appear - remove any visible adult beetles and larvae - the bright red beetles should be easy to spot! This will help to prevent any infestation becoming established.

If you have pot grown lilies and fritillarias - re-pot them in early spring and destroy the old compost to kill overwintering lily beetles.

Although these beetles have no natural enemies in the UK encouraging wildlife into the garden may help.

Avoid using chemical preparations as these may affect beneficial insects in the garden such as bees.
CHEMICAL METHODS OF KILLING LILY BEETLES

if you decide to use chemicals to control a lily beetle infestation spray lily plants with thiacloprid, imidacloprid or sunflower oil as soon as you see signs of lily beetle damage .

Chemical methods of control are generally more effective on the larvae than adult beetles.
Go to Top of Page

carol mary
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  07:11:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the sunflower oil tip Darole. I leave my lillies in the ground over winter and they seem to come every year no problem. Also i knew what the lilly beatle looked like but have never seen the larvae, which i can now look out for.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  14:20:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
carol mary.. you will always find the larvae on the underside of the leaves covered in its own waste
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  08:14:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ddraig,thanks for the warning about cats and lillies. I have a little cat (a stray that wandered in about 7 years ago and never left!). She's been fine with the lillies always sleeping in the shade of thier leaves, mine lillies are in pots. maybe we've just been very lucky with her? I now have a little greatgrandson wandering about the garden we're always with him but which plants should we avoid, for his sake?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:05:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thr RHS has a list online of poisonous plants as do "the dogs trust" "Cats protection" and lots of other sites, a lot of plants have to be eaten to poison but some are contact irritants, most animals seem to avoid these plants but with lillies the pollen is poisonous and if it gets on the fur they will lick it off. I have grandchildren and will need to watch them as they seem to put everything in their mouth, I was surprised at the number of poisonous plants there are, Tulips for instance and I get a rash if I brush against a leylandi hedge!
Found a good site http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/poisonousplants.htm

Edited by - ddraig on 04/05/2013 10:17:52
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:28:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been looking online and I never knew that grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs and I forgot the dreaded Metaldehyde slug pellets which have killed many hedgehogs and poisoned numerous pets, you can get non toxic ones now.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  11:01:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like MKerchey05 I and a cat for some sixteen years and she never suffered no ill effects form the lilies. I have ben looking up what type of lilie is most likely to affect cats and I found the following information hope its of use to someone

As spring approaches, lilies will become more common in households as potted plants or in bouquets. Unfortunately, several types of lilies can be deadly to cats. Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily, some species of day lily, and certain other members of the Liliaceae family can cause kidney failure in cats.

Within only a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant material, the cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may develop kidney failure in approximately 36-72 hours.

All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. Cat owners should be aware of the dangers of lily ingestion and remove them from their cat's access.

Lilies that have been shown to cause kidney failure in cats include:

Note: This list is not all inclusive.

Common Name

Scientific Name

Easter Lily Lilium Longiflorum
Tiger Lily Lilium Tigrinum
Rubrum Lily Lilium Speciosum
Japanese Show Lily Lilium Lancifolium
Day Lily Hemerocallis Species

Easter Lily - Lilium Longiflorum

Lily family

Toxicity rating: HIGH

Animals affected: The only reported toxicity is in cats.

Dangerous parts of plant: Leaves primarily, stems and flowers may also be toxic.

Class of signs: Gastrointestinal irritation (vomiting), depression, lack of appetite.

Signs: Upon consumption of Easter lily (the exact amount is unknown), the cats begin to vomit within an hour or so. The cat then becomes depressed over the next half day, presumably as the toxin begins to affect the kidneys. Within 48 to 96 hours after consumption, the cat will tend to show signs of clinical kidney failure: increased urination, depression, stomach upset, dehydration. Death tends to occur within 5 days.

First Aid: If a cat is seen eating Easter lily, contact a veterinarian immediately. If emergency treatment is begun within 6 hours of consumption, the chance are good that the cat will recover. This generally consists of emptying the gastrointestinal tract of the affected cat and intravenous fluid therapy in a hospital setting. If more than 18 hours has elapsed, the cat may not survive, even with emergency care.

Prevention: Easter lily is a popular plant at certain times of the year, and extra caution must be used when bringing these plants into the house where cats can get at them. Make sure the plant is kept away from cats, especially ones that like to nibble on things. If nibbling plants is unavoidable, have a selection of safe plants available (grass or catnip are two possibilities).
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  17:22:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a visit from the lily beetle!!!! Two have been sent to beetle hell, looking for more :(
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  18:45:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05 now that you have had a visit from the dreaded beetle remember to look on the underside of the leaf for the grub within the next seven days
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  08:11:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, darole, I will keep a look-out for them.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  11:42:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MKerchey05... it must be catching i found two this morning and dispatched them, forgot to spray the plants with sun flower oil.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  08:10:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My poor lillies, they've now got botrytis! Thier leaves are browning off and on a lot of buds and petals there are brown spots!! I looked the symptoms up on the net and botrytis is (as far as I can tell ) the most likley problem. I think I'll just give them a decent funeral and start again !!! :-(
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2014 :  13:18:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll jinx myself but so far no lilly beetles to be found.I repotted them last year, so maybe I'll be lucky?
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2016 :  15:11:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether anyone can tell me why my lilies are flowering when they are about half the height they normally are? I seem to be on here every season with problems with those flipping lilies! Can now watch out for the lilly beetle (have seen and disposed of the larvae)also they've been on my fritillaries earlier in the year. Still, the lillies are looking great now!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.