New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few issues with the web server that sits in my house that provides the world with the www.Tredegar.co.uk site (and other local clubs..) over the last few days.

Its been 5 years since the last time I upgraded the web server, so it is now on its last legs having been on for almost 23'000 hours non stop!

I have ordered the new hardware, so expect it to turn up soon. It will take a bit a time of build the new server and install the new O/S, database, etc, so although I will try to keep the website up for most of the time during the switch over to the new hardware, we can expect a few interruptions.

The website will be "Member Only" mode for a while when I complete the upgrade to allow me to fine tune a few things....

Will keep you all posted.

Pierre
PS
If you got a few spare fingers, now could be the time to get ready to cross them.....

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  17:03:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got faith in you man

Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  17:14:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power to your elbow Pierre (or your fingertips if you like)
Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  17:59:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

A few issues with the web server that sits in my house that provides the world with the www.Tredegar.co.uk site (and other local clubs..) over the last few days.

Its been 5 years since the last time I upgraded the web server, so it is now on its last legs having been on for almost 23'000 hours non stop!

I have ordered the new hardware, so expect it to turn up soon. It will take a bit a time of build the new server and install the new O/S, database, etc, so although I will try to keep the website up for most of the time during the switch over to the new hardware, we can expect a few interruptions.

The website will be "Member Only" mode for a while when I complete the upgrade to allow me to fine tune a few things....

Will keep you all posted.

Pierre
PS
If you got a few spare fingers, now could be the time to get ready to cross them.....

Hi Pierre,
good luck with all that work, glad it,s not me doing it I would mess it up big time,
but don,t forget to take time off for yourself over the Christmas
dutchjohn
Go to Top of Page

silverback
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  19:33:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck Pierre

S.B.

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  21:43:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do an amazing job.
Thank you and a Merry Christmas
Milkman
Go to Top of Page

charlsey

37 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  22:41:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best of luck pierre you do a outstnding job merry christmas
Go to Top of Page

smokey
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2013 :  23:16:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would just like to say Thanks to you and the Team and wish you all
MERRY XMAS
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  11:25:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update....

Well the hardware has turned up, but as "luck" has it, they sent the wrong motherboard, so will have to wait till Friday to start putting it all together.

Will move this post into the Site/Forum Announcements & Suggestions section of the site in a few days and update it there in case anybody wants to know whats involved. Sticking it together is the easy bit, its the software will take time to get right.....

The website(s) might seam a bit slow over the next few weeks, as I slowly migrate bits off onto the new hardware.

Hard to take a guess at the times involved for everything, but looking at around 160 hours in total (if it all goes to plan).

I will e-mail all the local Tredegar based clubs, organizations and business with their website on the server shortly to keep everybody in the loop....

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

trish

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  14:41:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre
We really appreciate all the hard work you do to keep this forum up and running. Thank you for all your hard work. I hope you aren't out of pocket with all the new equipment you are using, if so, please let us all know so that we can contribute to the cost of keeping the forum going. Have a lovely Christmas and thank you again for all your dedication and hard work to the forum.
Kind Regards
Trish
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  15:10:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the hard work you all put into the site. Good luck with the work ahead! Merry Christmas to you and everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2581 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  15:42:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that most forum members are indebted to you for the way in which you and your team keep the forum running smoothly and efficiently;

So have an excellent Christmas and a happy New Year.

Please let us know as so aptly put by trish that we hope you aren't out of pocket with all the new equipment you are using, if so, please let us all know so that we can contribute to the cost of keeping the forum going.

Darole
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  16:25:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in total agreement with the above posts. I would miss the Forum dreadfully.
Go to Top of Page

rose bush
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  15:26:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all the other posts,dont be out of pocket pierre,we really appreciate all you do ,and would be more than willing to help out with any costs,thanks again and have a lovely christmas.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  18:19:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Thanks for all your concerns. Don't worry about the costs of all the computer bits and bobs, I put a bit aside each year so its ready when I need to upgrade the server to keep the website(s) running for all.

The good news is that the correct motherboard turned up this morning, and I have now started to get the new Server into shape.
I will make a start on building the software side of it probably on boxing day (if the kids will let me alone.... for a while)

Have a great Christmas all

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

seanr
Advanced Member

188 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  19:55:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,

Pierre, you shouldnt be out of pocket for this site

is it possible to put a 'paypal donation' thingy on the site, and we, the viewers can contribute as and when able to?

happy Christmas one and all
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2013 :  20:46:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've probably mentioned before that I'm all in favour of some sort of "membership" scheme - with an incentive for people who pay. It seems to work well for other forums (fora?).

Failing that, how about donations (tell me how?).

As a last resort, I'm willing to offer practical help, but I'm probably too out of touch with modern websites (started off with mainframes, then on to Unix servers) ...

Mike
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2013 :  19:29:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update 27-Dec-2013

RAID(1) disks in and built with 16k block size.
O/S installed and patched.
Anti-Virus in and updated.
Database core installed and patched.
Several extra services installed (Internet hosting, FTP, etc)

Next action to remove two disks (not used for website) out of old server and install/configure in new server.

...on going people, but so far, so good (apart from a dodgy SATA RAID 64bit driver that it.......)

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2013 :  16:59:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update 30 Dec 2013

Well all HD's are now in, along with a few bits and pieces. All drivers updated as well.

Installed the basing Database engine and patched, but then made the error or renaming the server. This resulted in re doing all the database build. Bugger! Never mind :o)

Right now creating a image of the RAID set and placing on NAS just in case I need to restore back quickly.

Got some stress testing software running on the server for the last 48 hours to check all is OK with heat, etc, and so far so good.....

Next job to copy over the database(s) to new server before I start to migrate the website(s) off.

Got an error on the live server with the database backups not running correctly on schedule. Would fix but will run manually until the switch over to the new hardware (no point in looking for work !)

In summery, all is going fine, pip & dandy (so far, ish...)

Pierre

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.