Griffiths family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wilson

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  14:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I'm trying to find out something about my Griffiths ancestors.
I have information from the 1891 Census as follows:
they lived at 69, 4th Row, George Town
My Great Grandfather John
My Great Grandmother Ellen
My grandmother Sarah Elizabeth aged 9
My Great Uncle Robert aged 10

I'm particularly trying to trace Robert. I've taken up this quest when all living relatives are dead and gone, so I can't ask, but I remember my Gran telling me her brother Robert was killed in the dog end of WW1

Can anyone enlighten me as to the precise whereabouts of 69, 4th Row....as I can't see it on any map, new or old.

Information about the family would be a bonus.

Wilson

milkman

United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  17:03:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, 4th Row was re-named York Tce.
I would think that house would be right at the bottom end (more or less above the station)
Bryan lived near there so will probably be more accurate.
Hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  08:35:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Milkman said 4th Row was re-named York Terrace.

I lived in the street above, Kimberley Tce., - No 49., so Milkman would be right in thinking 69 would be at the end of the Tce., next to York Villas.

In No. 50 Kimberley Tce., there lived the Griffirhs Family. As far as I can remember they were the only Griffiths in Georgetown.

There is a member of this family on this web site who has done a lot of research on his family.

Go to Top of Page

wilson

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  11:09:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both.
Since I posted my query, I have found my Uncle Robert's war record ~ he died not at the bitter end, but at the bitter beginning, in December 1914. He lasted less than a month at the front before he was killed.

If the site member you mentioned is the same Griffiths family as myself, I would dearly love to hear from him/her as I can supply details of where he is buried etc.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13805 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  20:24:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the row numbers (thanks to Emyrs)

link

I will have a look for more info for you.

Go to Top of Page

wilson

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  12:54:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help.
Looking on Google maps street view (what would we do without it!)York Terrace goes up to number 59 which is on the corner of a left turn side road.
On the other side the numbers appear to continue, but the street is called Elmwood.
If this was originally 4th Row as well, number 69 is just before the larger houses set back with front gardens.
The cottages look to be about the right age for the 1891 Census.

If I'm correct, I've found one of the places where my Great Grandad lived. (they appeared to move around the area quite a lot, which may explain Bryan's comment about the "only Griffiths in Georgetown")
Go to Top of Page

tonyg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  18:00:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I believe Bryan is referring to me as a member of the Griffiths family from Kimberley Terrace. There is another, my cousin Philip who is also on this site.

My great-grandfather was John Griffiths, his wife Eleanor Sarah Griffiths, (married 1901),their children, Eleanor 'Lena', Wilfred Isaac (my grandfather), Mary Evelyn 'Eve', Robert (Phil's father) and Doreen.

I am not sure we are talking about the same family here but if any of these names ring a bell, let me know your personal email address as I have much information.

Regards

Tony G.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.