New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sueh2

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  00:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning. Nice to meet you all.
My research centres around the Lamberts. If anyone has any knowledge of them and their descendants who may well still be living nearby,I will be glad to hear from you.
Background:
The family was living in Falfield/ Thornbury area Gloucestershire. Children of Thomas Lambert b 1791 and Hannah Chamberlayne b 1794.
The sons came to the Tredegar area between 1850- 70. Joseph b 1816, Henry b 1817, William b 1828, Decimus b 1833 and Charles b 1837 who lived Rhymney.
Joseph 1816 and his sons were iron miners. He was married to a Mary.
Henry 1817 married Mary James. There is some question as to whether Henry and Joseph are the same person.

My great g grandfather is Decimus Lambert (also known as Desemas and James).b1833 and died July 1916. He was a railway plate layer.
Does anyone know which railway he would have worked on?

Decimus married in 1873 to Mary Pryce b 1843 Builth and died July 1919.
4 children -
William John 1874 d 1875
Thomas Henry 1876 d 1971 married Louisa Thomas b 1881
Hannah 1877 d 1878
Margaret Emily b 1879 married William John Norman, lived 2, Coates Row

I think they will all be buried at Dukestown Cemetery but so far have been unable to find internment records.

Decimus and Mary lived at 2, Beaufort Wells Cottages, Dukestown
Later with their daughter Margaret Emily (Em) at 2, Coates Row
and Decimus died at Ash Cottages Rassau.

My great grandfather is Thomas Henry b 1876. He and Louisa lived in Tredegar. A Collier,- do you know which pit this may have been at?
and later a Contractor to Powell Duffryn. Who were Powell Duffryn??
They had 2 children: Thomas Henry b 1902 and Mary Louise b 1904.
In 1910 Thomas became a Christadelphian but Louisa was a Methodist.
Lived at Pleasant View Tirfil, a spell in Merthyr, and then Tredegar and finally at the end of his life Pengam with his daughter.

My grandfather is Thomas Henry b 1902
Thomas 1902 married Emma Price of Gelligaer, daughter of George O. Price and Mary Hammonds, and later they moved to Newport.
Mary Louise married Ifor Morgan. 2 children Enid and Eric. lived at Pengam.

If anyone can shed light on anything or anyone mentioned, I will be grateful. Many thanks and have a lovely day.

S. Howard

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  02:16:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Powell Duffryn was a large coal mine operation, operating mostly in and around Bargoed and Aberbargoed, (neither very far from Tredegar). Both my grandfathers worked as contractors in the mining industry, one was with Powell Duffryn for 51 years. Each would contract to move a large quantity of coal for a given price and hire enough miners to do the job. Sometimes mining conditions were good and the contractor made money. Sometimes if conditions were bad, a vein of coal tapering off or excessive water etc, the contractor could lose money.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1522 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  10:05:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Emrys has said PD operated in the Rhymney valley (New Tredegar and Bargoed).
Since Tirphil is mentioned in your note, I think it likely that "New Tredegar" is the town referred to.
There is often confusion but they are only 6-7 miles apart; there was no public transport between the two so commuting would be more difficult than to pits in Tredegar valley.
(Guessing, I know but it would make sense)
Go to Top of Page

sueh2

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  23:15:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Emrys and Milkman. I often wondered just what 'contractor' meant he did. He started underground, so I guess, this was the better option for him.
I'll have a look at new Tredegar.
Thanks very much.

S. Howard
Go to Top of Page

sueh2

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  23:21:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually can I clarify Emrys,
so the contractor didn't just transport coal but would send men underground to bring the coal out or did they also extract the coal out of the ground ?

S. Howard
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  23:31:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add, That there were a Lamberts Fashion, and School Uniforms, Clothes Shops in Tredegar and Blackwood .. ! , For Many Years But Sadly Not now !
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  03:21:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contractors in the context you are curious about all started as miners,{colliers) extracting coal from the ground. Then, as they became more experienced they had the opportunity to enter into an agreement with the coal mine owner to extract a certain amount of coal for a set price,in other words piecework .The contractor.(the miner who had made the contract) would then extract the coal, sometimes om his own but more often hiring other miners. I expect and believe that the contractor would always work extracting the coal himself even if he hired helpers as well. Coal miners traditionally were always paid for the amount of coal they extracted so a contractor was in effect gambling that by working for a set price he could make more money than by simply being paid for his normal production as a miner.My own grandfathers being very experienced usually earned more money by contracting than as miners, but would sometimes lose money if they miscalculated the work involved or if they ran into unforeseen conditions, unstable ground or influx of water etc. My father,a coal miner himself said that his father, as a contractor, was a veritable slave driver Emrys
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  05:08:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. I was told that these contracts were made verbally over a handshake and never involved written contracts. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

sueh2

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  01:12:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this information. It helps you understand the person better. By the time I was born, Thomas Henry Lambert, b1876, was already in his 70's and retired. He died 1972 in his 90's. I think he did ok as a contractor. Certainly he was free with ten pound notes pressed into my hand when I was little.

Fredd - I don't know if my Lamberts' had the fashion & clothes shops. I know that the daughter of Thomas Henry, b 1876 - Margaret Emily (Em)Norman was a dressmaker and I've seen photos of her work. Her husband William John Norman died early in the war, so she would have to have worked. I'll have to take a look at Kelly's handbooks or the post office records to see if I can find anything.
There were a few brothers who emigrated to the area in 1850's, so perhaps, I will find something interesting.
Many thanks

S. Howard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.