Demise of John MALSON
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David Hankey

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  16:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandfather x 2 was killed in a railway accident on 15th February 1853. He was a fireman at Rhymney and I am looking for any information connected with his death, newspaper reports, inquests etc.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful, thanks, David

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  19:56:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a death certificate David? If so you will have the date of the inquest. Not sure where you live, if you are able to go to the archives at Ebbw Vale, if not, send them a mail with all the details and ask them, they might hold a copy of the inquest. They may charge for a search and a copy of the inquest. You can also consult newspapers on-line - www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=4723#8206;.
Hope this helps - Gwen

Go to Top of Page

David Hankey

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  20:25:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gwen and thank you for your reply. The short answer is I haven't but I know a man who has!! I am working with other cousins who also stem from John Malson although I have only come into the action recently, so to speak.

His Death Cert states he died on 15th February 1853 at Bedwelty aged just 25. He was accidentally killed by the spindle of a steam engine. He was listed as a railman and the Inquest into his death was held in Bedwelty on 17th Feb and Informant was W Brewer, coroner, Aberystruth. His death was registered until 29th March 1853.

On his Marriage Cert in 1851 it states his occupation as fireman. Not only did he leave behind a young pregnant wife but also a son just about a year old.

I live in the East Midlands but will check with Ebbw Vale and go from there. Again many thanks for your help, David
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  20:52:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Dont think that Rhymney records would be at Ebbw Vale, Check Glamorgan or even Merthyr Tydfil .. ??
Go to Top of Page

David Hankey

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  21:35:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi fredd, John Malson lived in Rhymney but the accident happened and Inquest into his death were held in Bedwelty. I do not profess to know where I should be going I'm in the hands of those with greater knowledge. David
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  22:07:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aberystruth, is more like, blaina or nantyglo, or even Abertillery which are, all the same area really !
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  22:16:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Could also try Glanystruth, Which is still the same area as the last
Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  10:49:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My G.Grandfather was killed in a Sirhowy pit and the inquest report was held in Ebbw Vale archives, I live in France so not easy to access records but I wrote to the archives, give as much information as possible - I visited there last year and saw the actual inquest document on my G.Grandfather and was able to buy a photocopy for a small fee.
You can also join the -mongenes.org.uk group and if you are on Facebook there is - Monmouthshire Family Tree group - both are very helpful when you are not living in the area.

Good luck - Gwen
Go to Top of Page

David Hankey

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  10:55:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gwen for this, David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.