MEMORIES OF MY EARLY LIFE IN TREDEGAR.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  13:37:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this how you remember the Circle Cafe Bryan ? ?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  16:35:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's exactly as I remember it.

The late Graham Healey told me that Maria had married and was living somewhere outside Pontypridd. Her husband died and that she was thinking of moving back to Italy.

Since Graham's death it wouldn't surprise me if Rosa didn't do the same. They all have family in a mountain village called Piacezza.

Thanks again for the photo.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:42:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Yes, Fredd has come up with the goods

Right, anybody got any names and year ?

From left to right Isabel/Isabella ?? , Irene Provini ,Mr Bardugoni and finally Maria Provini . I have been asked does anyone know anything about Isabella as they lost touch so many years ago she was of spanish origins and she married a Dutch man , Maria and Gloria believed she had four children but are unsure if she stayed in the area ?
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:55:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maria and myself were in the same class at St Joseph`s
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  19:20:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You lucky devil Morgan.
Go to Top of Page

rose bush
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  22:34:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graham Healey taught me,Its quite sad to learn he`s passed away,he was a brilliant teacher.
Go to Top of Page

joyce

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  23:34:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am Joyce Jones (nee Cole) and this has brought back so many happy memories. I grew up in James Street, and my brother was Tony Cole. Sadly, he died suddenly in 1979 leaving a wife and 2 small children.
In 1955, I married Pryce Jones from Earl Street, and he died in 2007.
We had known each other from Grammar School days.
I would be pleased to hear from anyone who knew us - it has been so lovely to see this site - I will certainly be a regular visitor.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  00:47:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joyce And Welcome Back to Tredegar..PLEASE Feel Free and ask any questions that you might be curious about , I'm certain that you'll be helped as much as possible and there's numerous members thats lived , and still lives in the area's that you've mentioned
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1456 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  13:28:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joyce, I remember Tony; he went to the Tech and was a good cricketer.In fact I sent a Tech photo to this site a few months ago and Tony is on it. (I was in the County but you were younger than me)

You lived almost opp the Post Office; the Bryants were your neighbours.
All the best
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  18:09:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joyce
I remember Tony well we were in the same class in Tech also quite number of boys from your area the same time, and as Tom said he was a good cricketer

morgan
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  19:15:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce
Go to the top of the forum click on Gallery then down to main Gallery and school photo`s showing tech school 1948
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13738 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  19:19:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or click here.
Go to Top of Page

joyce

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  12:48:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the messages. I had seen this photo of Tony on the website and it isn't one we had in the family album.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

JulesDrup

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2020 :  21:19:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were one of the families that moved from Tredegar to Chepstow. My father was John Davies married to Anita Powell and we moved to Western Avenue, Bulwark in Chepstow. My father worked in Llanwern. There were families from every part of the UK living on that estate and a few families my parents knew also moved from Markham and Chepstow. As children you would come home with a different accent so your parents had a good guess who you had been out playing with.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

608 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2020 :  22:25:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely to read these posts again especially the ones from Bryan and Emrys.I do miss reading posts like this on here....And where have Fredd disappeared to.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2020 :  10:22:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking back I've lived in Chepstow since 1973. Occassionally I visit Tredegar, but most of my friends have died.
I still have many memories of Tredegar when I was a young lad in the 1940's
I have a few friends/acquaintances in Western Avenue - Eric Whitchurch and Terry Jones Deceased.
occasionally I visit The Burnt Barn Club playing crib.
Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Smythes

101 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2020 :  19:58:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking exactly the same Shelley. Where have all the characters that contributed so much to this forum gone. So much history of our town being lost.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1456 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  14:32:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to break the news gently but many forum members have been of an advanced age, particularly if they gave news about the 40s and 50s. Some have now lost the means of communicating with the forum.
Glad to note that Bryan, Butch and I still can.
Go to Top of Page

Smythes

101 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  14:51:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Milkman and Bryan. Keep up the great work of handing down your stories of growing up in our great town of Tredegar.
Iím pretty sure that looking back on some of your posts you must be of a similar age to my older brothers. Eugene Clark and Terry Clark both now in their eighties.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  20:13:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milkman has hit the nail on the head Ė we are getting too old. Iím 87 .
My memory is reasonable but the old bones and muscles need a lot of TLC and repair.
As you may have read in other pieces Iíve put on the web site my family history is quite a mix up. My grandfather and his brothers came from Farrington Gurney to work in the local pits and Iron Works during the Industrial Revolution. My grandfather worked in No 9 pit.
My garndmotherís parents came from Cricklade, Wilt and and initially lived in Blaina. Moving to Ttredegar to work in the various pits in the area.
My grandfather on his marriage to my grandmother had Dai Bowen build him 30 Mafeking Tce for £100. They had three children and only my father survived. He served his apprenticeship as a Blacksmith in Tredegar Iron Works and when it was closing he worked as a colliery blacksmith at Ty Trist. In 1933 the year I was born he, my mother and myself moved to Pembroke Dock to run a small shop owned by my motherís brother in law. I was too young to have many memories of my time there, but over the years I have built up a story of my time all those years ago
My grandfather on my mothers side was also a blacksmith working in the Royal Dockyards in Pembroke Dock and Malta. He died very young leaving a wife and six children.
Well here I am in Chepstow a mixture of Welsh and English, but to me IíM WELSH Ė through and through.
Since I worked in Lydney and lived in Chepstow Iíve found out that the Red and White bus company was started in Lydney, by John Watts who bought army lorries to take the miners to work.
During the war the Lydney Tinplate works closed and the workers were transferred to Ebbw Vale.
Richard Thomas owned Lydbrook and Lydney Tinplate works being Richard Thomas and Baldwin.
A famous actress Debra Carr was born in Lydney.

Too tired to do any ,more at the moment
Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
119 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  20:23:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must agree with Shelly. I have always enjoyed the old tales from the old timers but, sadly, understand why we don't get them so often nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5316 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  22:10:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of our members know who first owned The Europa Cafe and any photos please ? Thank you

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

608 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  22:31:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Cupcake it was the Savi family from Rhymney they moved there from the Glyn cafe castle st early 70s I think.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5316 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  04:26:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shelley ,i can remember going there and the walls were covered with all pretty fans

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1456 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  15:56:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Smythes, I think I knew Eugene.
If I am right he worked in Prison service and lived in Standish nr Wigan.
If that is right- As they say- It is a small world
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.