New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  10:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Jonker for this picture of the Burston Brothers taken at the rear of Whitworth in approx 1950.

Does anybody remember the brothers ?

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  21:16:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter-in-law has just said that one of the Burston boys was Idris,he was a grave digger in Cefn Golau cemetery. He lived in 60 something Whitworth Tce,my daughter-,in-law lived in 51.

I believe he was a brother to Albert Burston,who had a son Tony and a daughter Anita.I might be wrong but the tallest of the men looks very much like Albert as I remember him.

MARGARET

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  21:54:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can Remember An Adrian ( Adey ) Burston, Who would Probably be Belonging to these Lovely Chaps ?? !
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  16:24:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred. Yes Adrian Burston was the younger brother of Anita and Tony. They were all the children of Albert Burst on and Edna May (new Lewis) from Pond Row.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  12:10:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jonker

I've been asking family and Idris was good friends with my great uncle Jack Bridgemen also from Whitworth.

My mother (again, from Whitworth) also remembered a Kenny who died at an early age as well as Raymond.

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

Nettieb

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  19:52:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, new to this but Adrian Burston is my dad :) so nice to see this picture.
Go to Top of Page

paul

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  18:16:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was also ivory who went to live in stoke
Go to Top of Page

paul

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  18:19:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I meant ivor predictive text added the y
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  18:24:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant Photo by the way That's What I would call " Iconic " !
Go to Top of Page

jonker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  16:07:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the man on the left is Ivor Burston who moved to Stoke On Trent in 1957. The middle brother Idris was indeed a Grave Digger, however I was told that in his younger days he did a bit of hands on Faith Healing. Albert served in the Air Force during WW11. There were other siblings namely Frank who mover to Reading, David who again served in the Army before moving to Stourbridge after the war, then there was Tommy who stayed in Tredegar. There was also a daughter Louisa who at one time did the laying out of the dead around Whitworth Terr. Their father David came from Leigh in Worcestershire. Their mother was a member of the Wines family. Her grandfather died a day after being buried in Ty Trist. The inquest was in the Greyhound Public House. The main witness was his son John Wines who was about 11 years old, and had been working with his dad for two years. This boy died in his twenties leaving to young children. Hard times indeed. Jonker
Go to Top of Page

jonker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  10:08:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Pierre
There was a “Kenny” who was somewhat retarded. I remember he used to play with a large table spoon from which he could reflect the light from the window up on to the ceiling. Raymond, I think was the son of Tommy. He was a likeable rogue, who moved up to the Midlands to a place called Stafford. I have no idea where he is now or even if he is still with us. Jonker
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  20:13:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Jojn Wines a Siloh chapel go-er who also played cricket for Siloh (later Tred United).
If so I am pretty certain his daughter, Margaret? is still in Tred
Go to Top of Page

jonker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  21:13:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fredd, thanks for that perhaps you could tell her about her ancester who died in such tragic circumstances. She may be able to add to the story. Jonker
Go to Top of Page

jonker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  21:15:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for that "milkman" a senior moment i'm afraid. jonker
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

620 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  22:54:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes milkman Margaret is living in Whitworth ,and I think she still attends Siloh chapel.
Go to Top of Page

jjmh

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  12:30:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am related to the Burston Brothers, my grandfather Richard Burston was born in Leigh Worcestershire in 1882 he died in Tredegar in 1927. I am told he and my grandmother Mary ( nee Callaghan} ran a Boarding House My mother Caroline Burston his daughter was born in 1920 in Tredegar she had an older brother Horace both their parents died in 1927 leaving them orphaned. I can remember my mother wanting me to learn the accordian when I was young so I don't know if she had memories of hearing accordian music when she was very young. She too has passed away.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  19:50:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjmh

I think I am related to the Burston Brothers, my grandfather Richard Burston was born in Leigh Worcestershire in 1882 he died in Tredegar in 1927. I am told he and my grandmother Mary ( nee Callaghan} ran a Boarding House My mother Caroline Burston his daughter was born in 1920 in Tredegar she had an older brother Horace both their parents died in 1927 leaving them orphaned. I can remember my mother wanting me to learn the accordian when I was young so I don't know if she had memories of hearing accordian music when she was very young. She too has passed away.

Hi,

The accordian link is one amazing link.

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

Lynne r 9

1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  20:24:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great uncles their sister Louisa was my grandmother
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.