Gardeners Corner
 Roses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  12:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been really mild of late, (except for that cold snap). My yellow rose bush has a new bud on it, and it's 1st of December! My allium has also started to shoot, I'll be covering that plant! It's not supposed to flower until late Spring or early summer! Has anyone else got early flowering plants?

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  15:49:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have buds on my Lilac tree, not sure I've seen them this early, I hope if we have a cold spell they won't drop off.

Go to Top of Page

smokey
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  22:55:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Primroses Flowering
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  20:26:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always a tricky decision.
Many plants should be enjoying a dormant period now, building up strength to produce flowers in the spring.

It seems a big shame but I pinch off the buds or flowers to guarantee a good show in the spring.

lilly
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  13:07:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the buds on your plants are hit by a spell of really cold weather and they drop off, are the ones that come after weaker or just as strong as the first lot?
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  20:37:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MKerchey, I find the second blooms are better.

When I grow my annuals, I sometimes find that they will produce buds too early if the weather has been unseasonably warm, they can be in too big a hurry to flower. I always pinch out the buds so that the plant flowers when I want it to, that way I think I get a longer flowering period from the plants.
I'm sure other gardeners here have other methods, but this one works for me.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 :  10:33:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My primroses are flowering

Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  12:39:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks lilly, that makes sense, I may be doing that with some of our plants! Yes, ddraig, my primroses have been in flower too. This weather is all wrong for the time of year, isn't it? Although I don't want ice or snow (terrified of it)! Earths temperature seems to be on the increase?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.