Gallant Men
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  23:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the memory of the Gallant Men of this Town who gave their lives for their Country in the Great War. Horace Hamer. Thomas Joseph. Thomas Howells. Thomas John Bennett. Ernest Walter Harris. Doctor Edward William Sidney Martin. George Lewis. John Stanley Morris. Charles Bernard Price. William Morgan. Gilbert Gwilym Powell. Edwin Trevor Davies. Benjamin Thomas.

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  23:59:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All information is recorded by the WW1 group and uploaded to the internet.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2016 :  00:56:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, the information you gave and the photographs you loaned regarding your Grandfathers WW1 service and your Fathers WW2 service was greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2016 :  01:09:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If any one has any information on the above men and would like to contribute, the WW1 group would appreciate your visit to Tredegar library on a Friday morning.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  00:29:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doctor Edward William Sidney Martin
Mentioned in Despatches, died of wounds 1917.
Go to Top of Page

CardinalCanary

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  23:04:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am related to Horace Hamer. His mother Hannah (nee Elias) was my great grandmother's sister. Her name was Catherine Aston (new Elias) and she also lost her son (Richard Aston/Ashton).

Puzzled why Able Seaman Horace Hamer of HMS Drake is memorialised in Picardie.

Steve C
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  20:48:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CardinalCanary

I am related to Horace Hamer. His mother Hannah (nee Elias) was my great grandmother's sister. Her name was Catherine Aston (new Elias) and she also lost her son (Richard Aston/Ashton).

Puzzled why Able Seaman Horace Hamer of HMS Drake is memorialised in Picardie.

Steve C

I too was intrigued by the apparent mystery about a sailor being included on the Thiepval Memorial and did a bit of googling. Came across the following :

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/215271-rnvr-and-rnd-sorting-them-out/

Hope that helps. It seems many ‘navy’ personnel were like regular soldiers. There were more navy volunteers than ships available at the start of the war so Churchill ordered they should be used as soldiers, though still kept their naval designation.

I don’t know why that carried on through the war. Perhaps the original intention was that they should resume naval operations when ships were available.

Edited by - nutandboltdarlo on 19/05/2020 20:57:10
Go to Top of Page

CardinalCanary

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2020 :  09:20:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you. I gather his ship AND Drake was in St Lucia when he was killed in France. The Ship was later sunk in October the same year.

Steve C
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.