Page: of 2

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  22:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following is my opinion only...

Tredegar is dying.

Dying from the complete lack of communication from its own Tredegar Town Council on many, if not all issues.

The Clock stopped for 12 months, all we received was a single email, and 2 erroneous update on the Councils own website.

The (heritage listed!) old Cholera Cemetary in Cefn Golau, is in a serious state of decline, and Tredegar Town Council aren't interested at all. Business sites are being demolished to make way for new housing, and the Council remains silent. Schools are closing down.

The Business District, the heart of any town, sees more boarded up shops than open ones.

There is very little in the town to occupy all teen-aged folk.

Tredegar's essential infra-structure is slowly being eroded away. Every week there is another story on something negative happening, and nothing is heard from the Council.

Tredegar residents pay more council tax than anywhere else in the Burough, due to their Town Council, and all they ask is that the Council establish an effective communication routine. Something that should have been done when Tredegar Urban District Council was abolished in 1974. That single act of abolition, was the beginning of the Towns decline. We don't want the decline to continue. We, "The Towns-Folk of Tredegar" want it stopped.

Let's start with Council communicating with its constituents.

ALL GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVES, ELECTED OR APPOINTED TO OFFICE, NEED TO GOVERN FOR ALL THE PEOPLE, NOT JUST THOSE THAT VOTED FOR THEM.

If you agree with my opinion, please click the relevent link below.
You can sign anonymously.

TTC-Communicate:-http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=4092

TTC-Fix The Clock:-http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

lefty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:05:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many Town Councillors can you name I bet it's vary few.

lefty
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:31:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lefty

How many Town Councillors can you name I bet it's vary few.

lefty

Well why not put your question another way:
How many new jobs have been created by the town council?
How much commercial investment has the town council created?
What advantage does Tredegar have over our neighbouring towns that have no town council?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  23:58:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lefty

How many Town Councillors can you name? I bet it's very few.

lefty

It's a fair point Lefty, but the concern lies not with individual Councillors or Officers, but the inability of the Council as a whole, to effectively communicate with the entire population of Tredegar. Certainly not just to those that appointed them, or voted for them.

Have a look at their website:- http://www.tredegartowncouncil.org.uk/.
Amount of Visitors:- 1072 (& I must be half of them!)
News:- Last update - August.(!!!)

Even when you go digging around the site, there are no current 'Council Minutes' to gain information from.

The Council needs to devise a strategy of communication. Without raising Taxes, and without impacting on other (???) services. If TTC needs to go cap in hand to BGCBC, then so be it.

Go to Top of Page

lefty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  01:15:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All Council minutes of meetings should be in Tredegar library both town and borough but few people visit the library you are right they could easily scan them and put them on line quicker than distributing them around the library's.
but there's point to this the less people that see them the less they can ask questions about what is going on and who's deciding what.

lefty
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  01:30:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty

..but there's point to this the less people that see them the less they can ask questions about what is going on and who's deciding what.

I imagine that, to be Councils exact line of thinking.

Which brings me to my second point...

People shouldn't have to badger and bother to find out information about their own Town. They have neither the time, nor inclination.

TTC need to be run transparently. It's a Town Council, funded by the Towns-Folk.

For my mind, that makes the population the Boss.

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 11/01/2008 01:52:19
Go to Top of Page

Trefdegyr

59 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  10:21:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really getting tired now of people continually knocking Tredegar.Do you really think we are the only town in the country that has problems.Of course we have our problems but continually moaning about them does not help matters.I have lived in Tredegar all my life and I am proud to tell people that I am from Tredegar.
I would not like to live in Ebbw Vale,Brynmawr,Abertillery,Blaina etc.and as for Blackwood,Rhymney and Merthyr well enough said.
I am beginning to wonder whether some people have hidden agendas to keep on knocking Tredegar for any reason whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  10:50:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think TTC has any real power and it certainly looks like it has very little of its own money. the real power and money is over at the BG offices in Ebbw Vale.

I'd be interested to see where the Bedwellty Park grant is controlled from and who picks the contactors to do the work.

sean
Go to Top of Page

lefty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  22:43:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
problems do not get cured staying silent if so there would not be any problems in Tredegar face up to it we have a secretive Council who do not explain how money is spent or how they arrive at any decisions.
If moaning means a better more open Town Council then I'm all for a good moan but I call it democracy when a public body is made answerable to the people.
I have also lived in Tredegar all my life and that's even more reason to voice an opinion if you think things are wrong and that's what I intend to do.
Go to Top of Page

morcar
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2008 :  05:36:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months back i did ask for people on here to join me in sorting out a vote for no confidence in the town council and none of you wanted to do it. You all shyed away from it and wanted only myself to do it. I may be only 1 person but with many people stating the facts it`s more powerfull and they sit up and take notice.

There are many problems in this town and both BG Council and the town council are to blame, but if people are not willing to stand up and say they will run a muck like they have done for years. Dont shy away from either council as this is what they want. They have no ability what so ever in the jobs they have and if you want proof it is all around you to see.

The future for my kids in Tredegar is looking very bleek and i think in the end we will move away from this town as the jobs seem to be moving away from the area as money is getting tight. The schools dont educate the kids proper and to me you are fed this bull**** from the council day in day out and it has a knock on effect with everyone that lives here.

If you look at other counties they are only too happy to help you out if you need it, but here all they want to do is rob you blind and then stab you in the front. If people dont voice what is wrong now and vote both councils out then we have only ourself to blame.

Edited by - morcar on 13/01/2008 05:39:14
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2008 :  23:37:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edit:-Morgan, Morcar,
That is one of the best worded replies to any thread on this forum.

Both yourself and aussiewelshman have captured in a few paragraphs one thing that this web-site is trying to bring to peoples attention.

The one question that I'm still trying to answer is who is responsible for what in the running and rejuvenation of Tredegar?

What is the Welsh Assembly responsible for?
What is Blaenau Gwent Council responsible for?
What Is Tredegar Town Council responsible for?
What are the “other” fund backed entities in the town trying to achieve, and what do they grade their success rate against?

Maybe (just maybe), Tredegar Town Council are simply in place to look after our park (how successfully they are doing that, is another question..), give out the odd couple of quid to the local scout troop, and put up the Christmas lights, and that’s it ? Or are they simply underachieving ?

Do Tredegar Town Council have funding, to achieve anything else?
Or do they even have the expertise to achieve anything else!

The question is what is the way forward from here?

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 16/01/2008 07:28:31
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2008 :  20:32:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way forward is through this Forum.

The more people exchanging ideas on the Town, the better.

We're still waiting on the 150 year "Celebrations", or any word on them, from TTC.

Go to Top of Page

morcar
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2008 :  21:09:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a feeling that Blaenau Gwent Council has more of a say in what happens around the town than the town council. I mean the state of the town is a disgrace and if i was in the town council i would be kicking all kinds of sh*t up to get things done and to sort the town out.

The crazy paving is one thing that i find the most worrying as i have seen a lot of young and old people falling over because the paving is either uneven or when it is wet or icy you go flying. As for shops I think it was a bad idea to have the shopping mall (if you can call it that) cuz it is run by a private company who can dictate the rent and from what i have heard by the shop keepers the rent is high and they can only just make ends meet.

The shops out side of the mall are in bad shape which need repairing and a lick of paint. Infact thinking about it the whole town needs a lick of paint as it is so uninviting no wonder people dont want to shop or have a shop here.

As for the young yobs going around town like if they owned the place i would rather pay for ane extra policeman to go around the town than the community police as they have no powers at all to arrest anyone. We need to kick the yobs out of the town and maybe even back into school as i see half of them in uniform at 10pm around town.

There are a lot of problems with in the town but i think with sometime it could be a nice town to invite people to set up shop and maybe even get people in to buy items. I hope the petition goes well and we can get the town running better
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  08:54:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!

I had to look twice....

Could it be???

Yes!

Tredegar Town Council Have made an update to their website!

It reads:- "2008 is going to be a

HUGE

year for Tredegar!"

More:-

quote:
Tredegar Town Council would like you to help us all celebrate two momentous occasions in Tredegar, 60th Anniversary of the NHS and 150th Anniversary of our Town Clock

Forum groups have been held with local organisations and societies for ideas on how we should celebrate these events with the following being a result of those forum meetings:-

June 21st 2008

Town Clock Birthday Celebrations - a march through town to the Clock where balloons will be released and then there will be a re-enactment of the Bazaar (hopefully in costume) which was originally done to raise the money for the Clock. The Bazaar will take place in Bedwellty Park and all stalls will be available for local organisations/societies/charities to sell their items

June 22nd 2008

Two events for this day:-

1. Clock to Clock Road Race - Tredegar Town Council in conjunction with Newport Borough Council, Caerphilly Borough Council and Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council are resurrecting the Clock to Clock Road Race to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Tredegar Town Clock. It will start at the Clock in the Civic Centre of Newport 9.30am and end at Tredegar Town Clock a distance of some 21 miles. The race will be held under IAAF regulations and is definitely not a fun run. Entrance fee for the race is £5 and all details/entry form can be obtained from Dr Evans, Town Clerk of Tredegar Town Council Tel: 01495 722352 or email tredegartc@btconnect.com .

2. Songs of Praise - This is currently being organised by Christians Together with the event being held around Tredegar Town Clock. It will commence at 2.30pm and further details can be obtained from Mrs Anita Latham via Tredegar Town Council's offices."

http://www.tredegartowncouncil.org.uk/

WOW!

Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

335 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  08:59:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update it may be, not a very good one. The new page opens in the wrong place. It opens in the menu section!

(Listen very carefully, and you will hear people in council franticly trying to fix this error after reading this…. )

I wonder if they get biscuits in the meetings
Go to Top of Page

myriad
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  17:46:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone on this site, contribute Ideas on what they would like to see happening in this town on June 22nd. It would be nice to have origional Ideas instead of the usual parades. and shows at the rec.
the run and fates.... we never know someone in authority might take note.
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  18:52:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are Town partnership meetings also you can write to the Town Council with your idea's, remember except for certain exemt item's Town Council meetings are open, please come along
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  19:57:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Councillor,
So what meeting are closed that the Town council's holds, why are they closed, and are the minutes available to the tax payers to see ?

Trying to think what is in the remit of a town council that is not available for the public ?

Your not Jones the Spy are you ?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  10:30:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've had dreams like this...

Jury Clears OAP Over Rooftop Protest.
by Our Correspondent, Western Mail.

A PENSIONER who freely admitted smashing up the roof of council offices with a hammer has been cleared of causing criminal damage.

Iorwerth Jones, 74, of Llandovery, caused almost £30,000 of damage during a 10-hour protest on the roof of Carmarthenshire Council’s offices last April.
The council last night described the jury’s decision to acquit him as “beyond belief”.
Mr Jones left the court clutching the hammer with which he had done the damage, after it had been returned to him.
In a two-day trial he admitted hurling slate tiles from the roof of the offices in Llandeilo, but claimed he had a valid legal excuse.
Swansea Crown Court heard he had been waging an increasingly bitter protest campaign against his council since 1979.
Then it was the former Dinefwr Borough Council, now superseded by Carmarthenshire, which allowed a lorry park next to his bungalow outside Llandovery.
Since then the lorry park has disappeared to be replaced by a pet food factory on one side and a council gritting depot on the other.
Over that time Mr Jones has been jailed for a total of 57 months, gone on hunger strike and repeatedly protested from, and damaged, the same office rooftop.
The jury took less than four hours to find him not guilty of damaging the roof and of threatening to cause damage.
Judge Michael Burr, speaking after the verdict, concluded by saying it was time the authority “grasped the nettle” and settled the dispute.
He added that Mr Jones, who defended himself, would be able to claim costs incurred during the defence he mounted.
Summing up the case earlier he had specifically told the jury that Mr Jones had no legal grounds for claiming “lawful excuse” for what he did.
“If everyone with a grudge, real or imagined, could lawfully extract retribution by damaging property, then we would truly be operating by the laws of the jungle,” he said.
An unrepentant Mr Jones vowed to fight on until there is an independent public inquiry into his case.
He said, “I know the verdict could be seen as perverse but I thank them for it. I don’t feel there will be a need to go back on the roof.
“All I want is for the truth to come out. I want everyone to know what has happened here.
“I could have been sent to prison and I feared I might lose my home.
“I was right to defend myself, I bought this suit in a charity shop for £5, but it shows that if you tell the truth you don’t need a lot of money to win.”
A statement from Carmarthenshire Council said, “The authority is astonished that Mr Jones has been found not guilty of causing criminal damage when he freely admitted climbing onto the roof of a council building and deliberately causing damage costing £30,000 to the council tax payers of Carmarthenshire.
“Having heard numerous witnesses testify Mr Jones caused the damage, viewing 45 minutes of video evidence showing him destroying the roof of the building, and having heard him admit that he caused the damage, this outcome is beyond belief.
“He also openly stated in court that he may well do it again – which would be no surprise as he has done exactly the same thing several times previously.
“The message from the jury seems to be that it is OK to cause damage to public property costing taxpayers tens of thousands of pounds – they are basically condoning his actions.”
The council added that the businesses next to Mr Jones’s home all had valid planning permission and there was nothing the local authority could do to alter that fact.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/08/jury-clears-oap-over-rooftop-protest-91466-20450123/

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  10:43:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myriad

Can anyone on this site, contribute Ideas on what they would like to see happening in this town on June 22nd. It would be nice to have origional Ideas instead of the usual parades. and shows at the rec.
the run and fates.... we never know someone in authority might take note.

Lets build a wicca man......and burn someone
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  11:19:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the things that are closed to the public are staff related issues, you would'nt expect anyone to discuss private issues in public
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  20:06:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what has motivated this flurry of activity on TTC's website , but there are more updates!!!

quote:
OTHER EVENTS BEING CONSIDERED AT THE MOMENT ARE:-

A CARNIVAL (ON FOOT) TO BE HELD ON SATURDAY 23RD AUGUST 2008.

This event is being organised in conjunction with Tredegar Town Partnership

EXHIBITIONS OF MEMORABILIA RELATING TO THE CLOCK AND THE NHS

We know that many people have objects and photos relating to both of these subjects and would ask that you contact the Town Council so that we may mount exhibitions to share them with everyone. We would also seek the co-operation of schools and other groups throughout the Town to contact us so that these Exhibitions and displays can be staged in your local area, thus helping those who find it difficult to reach Bedwellty House to share in the festivities. This will be an ongoing project throughout the Summer months.

A MAJOR CONCERT LATE IN 2008

We hope to organise a concert featuring the Town Band and local choral groups who will all join together to celebrate the spirit and innovation of the people who built not only the Town Clock, but also the foundation stones of the NHS.

THIS IS YOUR TIME TO CELEBRATE ALL THAT IS GOOD AND GREAT IN OUR TOWN. WE HOPE THAT, TOGETHER, WE WILL MAKE IT A YEAR TO BE PROUD OF. PLEASE CONTACT THE COUNCIL OR YOUR LOCAL COUNCILLOR WITH IDEAS OR MEMORABILIA FOR ANY OF THESE EVENTS.

You'd think someone sent 'em a letter or something!

Also a NEW table of minutes have miraculously appeared!!!

quote:
Civic Meeting of 3rd October 2007

Ordinary Meeting of 19th September 2007

Civic Meeting of 5th September 2007

Ordinary Meeting of 18th July 2007

Civic Meeting of 4th July 2007

Ordinary Meeting of 20th June 2007

Civic Meeting of 6th June 2007

Ordinary Meeting of 16th May 2007

Annual Meeting of 2nd May 2007

http://www.tredegartowncouncil.org.uk/

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  22:38:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
16th may 2007 is a good one, remember don davies.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  23:24:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the bit Sean is referring too-

quote:

Correspondence:

1) E-mail from Don Davies
Regarding the Town Clock and a website entitled Tredegar-South Wales-Home page on www.Tredegar.co.uk which is being used to send a poor view of both TTC and BGCBC around the world.

RECEIVED, It was agreed to publicise the work we do, in the media and via web-site

Don was kicked off this web-site after he made threatening remarks after he was asked by members if he had any links to TCC or BGCBC.

I think his correspondence confirmed what a lot of people thought at the time.

Don, still comes onto this site, but does so anonymously, and does not post. Don was great..
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  09:27:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

16th may 2007 is a good one, remember don davies.

regards

sean

How could we forget Don? The man shall live on in the anals, sorry, annals of www.Tredegar.co.uk.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  09:29:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

This is the bit Sean is referring too-

quote:

Correspondence:

1) E-mail from Don Davies
Regarding the Town Clock and a website entitled Tredegar-South Wales-Home page on www.Tredegar.co.uk which is being used to send a poor view of both TTC and BGCBC around the world.

RECEIVED, It was agreed to publicise the work we do, in the media and via web-site

Don was kicked off this web-site after he made threatening remarks after he was asked by members if he had any links to TCC or BGCBC.

I think his correspondence confirmed what a lot of people thought at the time.

Don, still comes onto this site, but does so anonymously, and does not post. Don was great..

"It was agreed to publicise the work we do, in the media and website".

Where?? When??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.