Foreign Aid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keanjo

United Kingdom
1330 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  19:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foreign Aid from Britain to so called underdeveloped countries has risen from £1/2 billion in 1976 to £13 billion last year ,two thirds of that given by the US ,about the same as Germany and double that donated by France. As far as I can see we must be borrowing money to give it away. If the money were used on worthwhile projects to improve the lives of the poor in the receiving countries it would be more readily acceptable but it is often used quite differently on grandiose projects and I suspect a good proportion finds its way into off shore accounts .Meanwhile in this country we have crumbling public services starved of proper funding ,a housing crisis and even food banks for the people who cannot afford to feed their families.
In my view this overseas aid should be halved to put us on a par with France and the savings used in this country for the benefit the of our own people.
Am I the only person holding that view?

milkman

United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  20:54:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear hear Keanjon. Particularly since we send aid to India and Pakistan eho have nuclear weapons and planning Space Exploration.
It started as a good idea but no poliyicians seem able to curb it when much of it essentially is wasted
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  22:14:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We give flood defence money to Malta, where there is almost no rain.
In a nice warm office somewhere there is a bunch of over paid people in competition with each other to think up the silliest waste of foreign aid.
With the piles of money going spare,There are so many more places in the world that could benefit from the generosity of the U.K.
We could supply guns to America, sand to the Arabs and ice to Siberia

Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2017 :  08:16:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely ludicrous considering the number of people in need of financial support in our own country.
Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2017 :  19:33:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darole

Absolutely ludicrous considering the number of people in need of financial support in our own country.

Hi Darole
absolutely true mate , I agree one hundred % help your own people first , that make more sense to me .

dutchjohn
p.s have a good Christmas mate , stay safe
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1636 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  10:00:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble is, most of these "news stories" come from newspapers making a big thing out of nothing (they have to sell papers after all) the money, certainly for flood defences came from the EU and whilst we are a member of the EU we are contributing, of course, after Brexit we won't be, neither will we get the money we now get from the EU, I very much doubt the Government will make up the shortfall.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1330 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  14:23:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ddraig, I'm a bit puzzled about your post - the EU has nothing to do with foreign aid, Were you thinking about Brexit?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1636 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  16:23:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keanjo, The "flood defence to Malta" post by GWSW That money came from the EU. Also, the UK gives £1bn to the EU for foreign aid.
I do think we give too much to foreign aid, far more than most countries, "our fair share" would be good, the UN gets a lot of the money off us for foreign aid etc and I don't think we have a great say in that
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1330 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  19:14:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UK gives about 50 £million aid a year to India who can afford to send space probes to the moon .At the same time people in the poore areas of Britain are queueing at food banks .What is wrong with our politicians ?Foreign aid should be cancelled until our own social problems have been resolved.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1636 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2019 :  10:30:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Sun reported in its Boxing Day edition that the UK government plans to provide £98 million in aid to India over a two-year period even though it is expected to become the world’s third biggest economy by 2030.

The UK no longer gives any money to the Government of India.

More than half of the projected £98 million will be invested in Indian enterprises, while the rest funds technical expertise. Together these help develop new markets, whist creating jobs for some of India’s poorest and marginalised people.

At the same time, this will also help create jobs for UK businesses, and generate a return for the UK. This is a win for the UK and a win for India

This is an interesting article on Aid
https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/

I abhor the fact that there is a need for food banks in the UK (Wales specifically) and I know there is a need as a relative gives her time at one of them, that said all the families on benefit in my street have cars, nicely furnished homes and take holidays, I can't figure out the discrepancy.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13805 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2019 :  13:56:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's enough to make anybdy take stock, when you hear we are giving aid to countries that can afford to send things to the moon....

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1330 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2020 :  14:16:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In today’s statement ,the Chancellor announced a 4 billion reduction in foreign aid which is necessary in the face of our severe economic problems.Many will think this a step in the right direction but apparently past Prime Ministers Major , Blair , and Cameron have spoken out against the cuts and that view is apparently shared by many MPs. Ithink the cuts are fully justified ,what do forum members think?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2020 :  19:43:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree completely. We give only a slightly smaller amount than Us which is approx 5 times bigger. Ddraig- Your comment of some time ago. The money we have been "given" by the EU is many time smaller than the amount we give to the EU. The monies we thus retain can more than make up for that but it will require an eveen-handed approach to how it is allocated
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1636 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2020 :  09:56:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
milkman, I am well aware of the contributions that we pay (paid) to the EU, you talk about an even-handed approach, do you really expect one from the UK government? I am under no such illusion, we will be taken to the cleaners by this government, if not now then later. A case of giving with one hand and taking back with the other.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55073139
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2589 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2020 :  16:37:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I would like to see our government take a good hard look at our own needs we have homeless and starving people in our own country.
Feel free to have a go at me it’s an old saying charity starts at home
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2020 :  20:06:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People like Blair and Cameron talk of the "Soft Power" we get from Foreign Aid.
There is little question that a great amount of aid is waste
What is being proposed is that Aid is reduced NOT eliminated.
One reads that govt departments have already been given instructions so that Aid goes only where it is needed. Yet I have seen little of the results of doing that.
UK certainly nneds some of that cash now. I cannot see how and Why we are giving money to India, Pakistan and China (there must be many more).
Thus reducing that aid seems eminently sensible to me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.