Forum debate.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keanjo

United Kingdom
1301 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  16:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre has created this brilliant facility so that we can communicate our thoughts and ideas to other forum members. I have often thought it is an ideal vehicle for serious debate on current affairs. One subject that occurs to me is the future of the royal family in Britain. Most people will agree that the present monarch has carried out her duties almost faultlessly but she is an old lady and cannot have many more years of life . The question I would like forum members to consider is 'should the royal family continue after the Queen's reign ends' ?

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  11:53:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was announced recently that the Queen will be rewarded with 369 million pounds to renovate Buckingham Palace. However, major questions were asked and a petition was consequently launched for the #Queen herself "to pay for (the) huge repairs", as the Metro newpsaper noted. In light of this, it has led me to question, do we still need the Royal Family anymore and are they a good or bad thing for Great Britain

A very emotive subject however I found this article interesting .....

Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2453 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  13:51:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this day and age we do not need freeloaders eather immigrants or home grown royalty and their hangers on,oops! there goes my OBE
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  10:17:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a royalist, having said that they (namely the queen and a few others) do bring money into the country and we are the envy of the world for having such a delightful lot (so I'm told by articles in papers and magazines)
Take for instance the investiture of the Prince of Wales, a third of people in Wales thought they were giving us something wonderful, a third that he was being foisted on us unnecessarily and a third who didn't care so long as they a) had a day off work or b) the pubs would stay open till 12.
I object to the fact that they are all of the hunting, shooting, fishing ilk, albeit quietly and probably regard the fox hunting law as an inconvenience, never mind the eco-damage they do by supporting the "glorious twelfth" and don't even get me started on stag hunting etc.
Would I worry if they packed their bags and moved to where allegedly their money is (off shore) even if it is legal? probably not.
Do I think it will ever happen? Not unless there's a revolution so after all that I think we're stuck with them.
Uncle bob, not all immigrants are freeloaders as your post suggests, in fact all the ones I've come across (and there's quite a few living near) work hard and sometimes long hours, a trait maybe we should instill in the lazy, lager can stuck to the hand native yobs who don't work, don't want to work and will probably be state scroungers for the rest of their sorry lives.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1301 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2018 :  19:55:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good film about ER tonight which featured a tour of her old yacht. They certainly knew how to rough it.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2018 :  23:40:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get me started ....
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2018 :  01:19:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree as forum is a medium/place for debate and discussion.
However, even though this is an emotive subject I am a little reluctant to 'stick in' my two-penneth, as possibly someone, some where might have committed TREASON. I say some one as I do not want to point any fingers, but there is a clue.
Compassing or imaging the Death of our Lady Queen is TREASON.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  21:58:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keanjo, please can I ask you why we are discussing Mrs Windsor, her offspring the Mountbatten-Windsor's, her family the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Phil's family the Battenburg's in the corner of the garden
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1301 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  22:57:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gwsw,if you read any paper or magazine these days ,the royal family are prevalent in the news .I am merely posing the question - should the system of hereditary privilege continue after the present monarch’s death . What do people think should happen ? Should we become a republic or continue the present system ?
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2018 :  17:20:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keanjo, what I meant was, why are we discussing this subject in the garden section and not in the general discussion section
Is it because Mrs Windsor is a pure English Rose.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2018 :  19:06:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just think about the cost of the up and coming wedding and the fact that we are struggling to survive in many sectors ????
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2018 :  12:42:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gwsw, I've been wondering that too, (not the flower reference!)
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1301 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2018 :  17:21:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping for a contribution from Prince Charles & Camellia
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2018 :  12:35:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always found them to be a funny 'bunch'.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2018 :  14:04:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should have had the wedding on a working day, so at least we could have had a day off :)

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2018 :  15:32:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't you have an invite
Mine is unopened on the mantelpiece, I am too excited to open the envelope. I'm just popping out to buy a new frock and hat. I will open the envelope later and I bet I'll have a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2018 :  09:34:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s nuptials will reportedly cost a staggering $44.9 million and experts have revealed exactly how they think this price tag will be broken down.

Wedding planning company Bridebook has calculated how much it thinks will be spent on flowers, food, entertainment and, of course, the dress.

Bridebook also guesses that the event, taking place in Windsor on May 19, will earn the couple a place on the list of the top 10 most expensive weddings of all time — ahead of William and Kate‘s (estimated to have cost $28 million).

The experts says the bulk of the royal costs will be spent on security — with Meghan’s dress, the flowers, food and drinks coming in at $1.4 million.

Other costs associated with the day include the fact that Windsor will be locked down for the day, with a heavy police presence in place, as well as crowd control and restrictions placed on shops and restaurants.

Extra security measures may include snipers, undercover police and military tech, such as a counter-drone system, could push the cost to upwards of $42.1 million, according to Bridebook.

This huge security bill is expected to be higher than for William and Kate’s wedding, even though theirs was larger, due to the ongoing terrorist threat level.

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1301 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2018 :  15:46:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darole, it’s traditional for the bride’s parents to pay. Can they afford it?,
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  01:53:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kate Middletons wedding dress supposedly cost £250,000, (her parents paid for it.)
Tamara RALPH and Michael RUSSO created the sheer bodiced outfit costing £56,000 for Meghan Markle to pose for her engagement pictures with Prince Harry.
Goodness knows how much Ms Markles wedding dress is going to cost, perhaps she will pay for it herself, after all it is her second marriage and I presume she should have 'a bob or two'.
As keanjo says it is a tradition that the parents of the bride pay for their daughters wedding, perhaps they paid for the first marriage so do not expect to pay for a second, unless they signed up for a B.O.G.O.F. .
Something I can't understand is why all the fuss, why have a big wedding and a wedding dress, especially if it is a white dress, don't she realise the meaning of a white wedding dress, she is a divorced woman, what is the point, whoever is footing the bill, it is a waste of money.
However I do believe security is important, they must be protected as should everybody, all of us, each and everyone, equally.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  00:57:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles and Camilla's wedding was low key, Camilla looked elegant/stylish, her wedding dress of cream silk chiffon. Afterwards she wore a floor length gold and pale blue coat over the matching chiffon gown and swapped her hat for a spray of feathers. Harry and Meghan could 'take a leaf out of their book'.
However and whatever, get on with it, just get married.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.93 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.