New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2008 :  10:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all please read the following as reported on the BBC website yesterday:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7198546.stm

Now I would not consider myself a racist, nor do I support any form of racist behaviour, but WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING ?
He is giving away 825 million of our money to a foreign country, whoís economy some might say is in a far stronger position then our. Itís not going to save starving children, or avert a natural disaster.

Surly the infrastructure of the country is its own governmentís responsibility?

Can you imagine what could be achieved with an injection of this amount of money into the South Wales Valleys?

Take a look at the following.....

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/01/21/wales-misses-out-on-the-super-salaries-91466-20373396/

Quote:-

The average annual income in Wales is £19,100; in London it is £29,900.

More than a quarter of Welsh children live in poverty, says the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

Of course if we did have such funding, it would need to be used on the areas where it is needed the most (and going off past projects, it would be used in Ebbw !).

Is it me, or Iím I missing something

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2008 :  11:52:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been proven time and time again...

No government can successfully help anothers country, whilst their own needs attention.

Case in point... The US funnels millions of dollars and how many lives (???) into Iraq, and when the hurricane hit in New Orleans, they were found desperate and wanting.

Forgive the metaphore, but Brown is cutting the UK's throat, and feeding another nation with the blood.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  14:38:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one of the reasons the uk is doing ok ecnomically is because the standard of living of some chinese, indians, russians etc has gone up in recent years. we buy cheap goods from them they buy expensive stuff from us. help them build roads and they will buy cars. it's a pity thatcher decided to destroy our car industry.

there are some reports by the forrester organisation (i think) which cover the economics of this.

basically we need to help the undeveloped world develop so they buy stuff from us, but we try to keep a few steps ahead of them in terms of knowledge and technology. i think politicians got a little confused about this in wales.

regards

sean

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  16:11:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No good worrying about the weeds in your neighbors back yard when you dont do the gardening in your own.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  18:31:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee Doodle

No good worrying about the weeds in your neighbors back yard when you dont do the gardening in your own.

there are a reasonable number of wide screen tv's and other luxury goods on sale in tredegar. there are a large number of cafes doing good business during the day. when i was on the dole i'd never even have a cup of tea in a cafe. i expect wetherspoons will be empty tonight?

why should the EU put aid money into south wales? keep it for their own poor areas maybe?

look at ireland, spain and portugal as examples of how putting money in to help those countires years ago, now brings dividends because they contribute to the EU instead of taking out.

same with india. if you raise their standard of living they'll manufacture more, earn more and spend more. plus british companies are good at infrastructure like roads, bridges and dams, which are all very expensive, so as a country we'll get the money plus more back. you can bet when the deal to give them the money was being sorted out representatives from british companies were being introduced to indian government minsters. there may not be anything in writing but it is understood where the money should go.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:34:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we have put our house in order and taken poverty off our streets then and only then should we go out to help others. Maybe by then will have learnt how to help others without waste.
How can HMG kick people out of there homes cos they are not working BUT give £825mill to help BIG companies make even bigger proffits out of factories built over there to sell stuff back to us. OOOOPs silly me cheap labour.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  14:21:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

When we have put our house in order and taken poverty off our streets then and only then should we go out to help others. Maybe by then will have learnt how to help others without waste.

i have lived in many parts of the uk and several of them rank as more deprived than BG, but nothing i've seen is as bad as the conditions i grew up in, which were better than many in the area.

quote:

How can HMG kick people out of there homes cos they are not working BUT give £825mill to help BIG companies make even bigger proffits out of factories built over there to sell stuff back to us. OOOOPs silly me cheap labour.

i agree, the money is given with one hand and taken back with the other. uk companies will take it back by building factories and employing people at below uk wage rates, earning better profits for the shareholders. why do you think Burberry originally moved to south wales and then left to somewhere cheaper. go through your wardrobe or the racks of clothes in shops, china, india and the rest of asia is where it is mostly made.

if you don't believe in helping others does that mean you don't want any money from the eu, or other parts of the uk to come to BG?
where will the money for bedwelty house come from if BG isn't helped by money from elsewhere? perhaps it would be a good exercise to make BG self sufficient in healthcare, social services etc.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.