Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

keanjo

United Kingdom
1300 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  19:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the cash strapped BBC are thinking of cancelling freeTV licences for the over 75s. If that is confirmed I would like to cancel the BBC channels and rely on commercial tv to avoid the charge.

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  19:34:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only we could
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2018 :  16:34:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently heard that the free T.V. licence for the over 75's is to stop in 2020.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

644 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2018 :  19:44:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember your T.V.licence is a permit for you to receive TV signals broadcast by radio waves - so this includes satellite reception. It unfortunately doesn't matter what programmes you watch.
The only way around this is to only watch programmes over the internet. Although I think the law may have been changed to stop you watching catch up TV etc.
Remember, if an official calls to ask why you don't have a licence - that official has no right to enter your property (even though he pretends he has) - IF he calls you can tell him to buzz off ! If you have a satellite dish mounted on your house - that is your business and nothing to do with him. The dish could have been installed by a previous resident.
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2018 :  23:59:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by keanjo

Apparently the cash strapped BBC are thinking of cancelling freeTV licences for the over 75s. If that is confirmed I would like to cancel the BBC channels and rely on commercial tv to avoid the charge.

[/quote

Just when I can get them they talk of stopping them just my luck. yes i am back anyone on here who remembers me?????

Edited by - valll on 29/11/2018 00:02:35
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2018 :  17:15:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BBC wants feedback from elders on this. Unfortunately I missed the part of BBC website to give your reply. Did anyone else catch it?
Go to Top of Page

trish

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2018 :  12:51:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link is:
BBC.co.uk/have your say
Regards Trish
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  13:19:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember you Vall, where have you been?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  13:46:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link to consultation
https://www.bbc.com/yoursay
click on Have your say
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  20:21:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony

I remember you Vall, where have you been?

Hiding !!!wanted to see who missed me
Seriously though have had a bad few years healthwise and not even been on computer, now thoughly bored with life decided to go back to family history and see what I had missed on here.

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  21:59:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember you valll.
The witch looks familiar, (not from my coven)
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1300 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2018 :  11:47:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read that the bbc top brass are being awarded up to £75,000 pa increases in salaries .Nice to see pensionersí free licence money being spent so wisely.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1300 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2019 :  13:24:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The House of Lords has considered this question and have recommended that not only free licences should be scrapped but other pensioner perks like bus passes should be stopped and the money spent on the young. I would suggest a better way of helping young people would be sack the 850 members of the Lords with their exorbitant allowances and expenses
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2019 :  18:24:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I m with you there keanjo I also read this on the news on my iPad not all young people are the same but a lot donít want to work sorry as I just said to those that do work .The House of Lords would do good to remember that it is more often than not the older generation are the people that have worked most of their lives .I was lucky I received my OAP when I reached 60 but I know of some of my friends that worked all their life and had to carry on working before they could claim theirs.Now the powers that be want to take he few perks older people have .Just to say yes I have got a bus pass but not the age for a free tv licence .
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  09:15:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a TV licence for anybody is madness. Put adverts on the channel, like in other countries...

Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  09:52:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TV license in UK is a thievery. In some countries in Europe you pay TV license for 3-5 main national channels equivalent to BBC. If you use analog antenna and catch only that few available channels, then you pay TV license. If you subscribe to satellite television like SKY, you don't have to pay TV license any more. That's a fair idea in my opinion. I won't give a penny any more to the manipulative fake news media television, run by corrupted government. Since few years now I dismantled my antenna and depend to on-line streaming platforms. I highly recommend that to you all as well, to avoid stuffing they greedy pockets.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  10:47:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With TV available on BBC iPlayer or streaming services, such as Netflix, you might think you don't need a TV licence if you don't own a TV. ... You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer

A bit ambiguous though.

None of our TV services in the Uk are run by the Government (corrupt or otherwise)

Fake news media television???? I prefer to get my news from legitimate sources (not only UK) and avoid Mickey Mouse news on social media and the internet.

I think adverts may be the way to go, a break to make a cuppa

If enough people kick off about it they probably won't implement it, the tories had to remove the "getting rid of" the triple lock for pensioners in their last manifesto, but they're still routing for it.

Edited by - ddraig on 26/04/2019 10:54:02
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  11:11:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddraig

quote:
With TV available on BBC iPlayer or streaming services, such as Netflix, you might think you don't need a TV licence if you don't own a TV. ... You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer

A bit ambiguous though.

None of our TV services in the Uk are run by the Government (corrupt or otherwise)

Fake news media television???? I prefer to get my news from legitimate sources (not only UK) and avoid Mickey Mouse news on social media and the internet.

I think adverts may be the way to go, a break to make a cuppa

If enough people kick off about it they probably won't implement it, the tories had to remove the "getting rid of" the triple lock for pensioners in their last manifesto, but they're still routing for it.

True. Not "run", but "controlled". My blunder...

To stream TV live you need TV license. But to watch catch up TV from the internet not any more. If you own TV, connected to the internet with dismantled antenna, watching not live on-line streams you don't need TV license. Plenty of ways to boycott the fee. Don't let yourself be mugged.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  11:22:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content.

The BBC is subject to a Royal Charter which is the constitutional basis for the BBC. It sets out the public purposes of the BBC, guarantees its independence, and outlines the duties of the Trust and the Executive Board. Broadly speaking this means the BBC's coverage must be balanced and unbiased (i.e. not support one party above another or one political point of view) and it must show that it provides public value in all its major activities. However beyond drawing up the Royal Charter the government does not usually intervene in what the BBC shows or broadcasts. That's not to say the government hasn't criticised what the BBC has done but it's main threat is through amending the Royal Charter and the licence fee, rather than telling it what to broadcast. (Other TV broadcasters in the UK are regulated by Ofcom, subject to Acts of Parliament and have a public service remit to provide high quality and diverse programming but aren't subject to a Royal Charter like the BBC.)

you could always watch ITV news but it's generally the same
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  11:39:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The BBC is neither state-owned or state-controlled in that sense that the government doesn't pay for it and it doesn't have editorial control over content.

The BBC is subject to a Royal Charter which is the constitutional basis for the BBC. It sets out the public purposes of the BBC, guarantees its independence, and outlines the duties of the Trust and the Executive Board. Broadly speaking this means the BBC's coverage must be balanced and unbiased (i.e. not support one party above another or one political point of view) and it must show that it provides public value in all its major activities. However beyond drawing up the Royal Charter the government does not usually intervene in what the BBC shows or broadcasts. That's not to say the government hasn't criticised what the BBC has done but it's main threat is through amending the Royal Charter and the licence fee, rather than telling it what to broadcast. (Other TV broadcasters in the UK are regulated by Ofcom, subject to Acts of Parliament and have a public service remit to provide high quality and diverse programming but aren't subject to a Royal Charter like the BBC.)

Hahahaha! Yeah... Whatever you say bro .
I believed in unicorns and dwarfs once too .
Peace!
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1300 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  13:17:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sea Wolfe seems to believe what he wants to believe and doesnít let facts get in the way .Looking forward to a vitriolic response.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  15:38:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will give you that pleasure keanjo, cause you are my favourite polemic companion on this forum ;).

I believe in facts. BBC showed so many times one sided propaganda. This is not rocket science. It's common sense.

I can do more, you know? :) Don't be so harsh on me. We're all different people with different views and opinions. If we all the same world will be boring. Peace brother.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  15:42:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if you don't want to watch the beeb seawolf86 that's fine, I hope you've filled in the form that tells them you don't need a licence, I'm really enjoying some of the programs on the BBC at the moment, Line of Duty and The Repair shop just two of. I'm not of an age where I get a free licence but it probably won't be free when I do.
Just out of interest, where do you get your news articles from?

You said "bro"? really? and you mean there's no such thing as unicorns? (I'm gutted)

Edited by - ddraig on 26/04/2019 15:46:45
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  15:56:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry sis. I wrongly assumed you're "bro". And yes, even we from different parts of Europe I still think we bros and sis. We might have our cultural differences but there is a greater evil lurking not so far away, that one day we will have to unite and fight against.
I get my news from any major newspaper on internet, just like you. But because I come from country where government propaganda was a common and normal thing in TV I developed sixth sense to spot manipulation ;). It's not so difficult actually. You just need to question the facts against the information written and you immediately discover misinformation, partial facts hiding, or propaganda. BBC mastered this skill to perfection.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2019 :  18:38:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad used to call certain newspapers "the comic cuts" and whilst there are still some bona fide newspapers as time has gone on they have become less and less, by some expanding the truth and others telling outright porkies, I think there's a law against this but unless you're Bill Gates you probably couldn't afford to take it to court. As far as I can tell, the BBC news is pretty honest, of course, all journalists may have a difference of opinion, but you can usually get the gist of it all. I don't read many newspapers, I do the round of news channels and if I want to go into anything further I trawl the internet. I try to put most things in perspective, my opinion is just that, an opinion. Some things I have strong views on, abuse of children and animals also persecution of people solely for their beliefs.
A few newspapers put out pictures of "so-called" rubbish left behind by the extinction protestors, these were even shown on the Gwent and more FB page amongst others when in fact the pictures were of a different protest group and one picture was even of rubbish in Mumbai. This wasn't on the BBC as far as I know.
Not a nice or honest thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2019 :  16:26:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have said before, if we all 'stick' together and do not purchase a TV licence, when the detection van officer knocks on your door just show them your previous TV licence and tell them it is O.K. as it is a repeat.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.