Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  20:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like the " shops" item what about the Italian influence in Tredegar which is now almost gone.
Starting from the Park Gates-
Cosy Cafe was Jake Barbutti then Carpanini
Park Cafe- Gusto Berni
Circle Cafe- Provini- Graham Healey married the daughter (Julie? They had a daughter, now living in US)
Cavanna's Chip shop
Zeracshi's ive creams (including the pony and cart delivery, with bell)
Queens Cafe- Rabiotti's
Bisi's chip shop nr Bell Steps
Market Cafe- Cordani's- Maria married Jeff Thomas- They had three children; Mike, Catherine and Paul
Gasparini's Top of Church St
I have a feeling that Frank's Fish shop, Vale Tce was Italian in origin.
Assuming I have not forgotten any that gives 10 families. We were so lucky/.

billbaily

907 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  21:02:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luca Di Roma.... Hair dressers
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  21:54:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glyn Cafe, Joe Savvi. Frank took over from Appleby's and they were there before my time. Milkman, do you know if Frank was also a Cavanna, I ask because the bus stop was known as cavannas, so maybe it was cavannas before Appleby's!!
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1296 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  22:10:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bisi’s fish and chips .
Milkman ,wasn’t Graham Healey’s wife named Rosa and I think she was a niece of the owner rather than a daughter ?
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  11:08:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Franks chip shop was originally Cavannas before the Applebys.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

620 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  19:22:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luca Vespa I was talking to him today he’s still looking good.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  19:50:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt really know Graham's wife. You are probably right that she was a niece. Right family though
Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  20:46:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank’s surname was Moruzzi.
Ironically, he was born in Caerphilly. His parents came over and settled there and, after his birth, returned to Italy. Frank later came. Back and started his own business.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  21:45:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philg, and Exbrompton, was it the Cavannas in Market street that was there before Appleby's? As we know the Italians were interned during ww2 (quite wrongly I think) and they might have relocated to town. After the war. There was nothing quite like Italian fish and chips.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  10:23:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like Italian ice cream either. Totally different texture to the ‘Mr Whippy’ type shaving foam available today. Was there an Italian cafe about half-way down Castle Street? That’s the one that comes to mind when I recall the ice cream. Can’t remember its name, though bizarrely I can remember a story in the Daily Herald about customers getting electric shocks off one of the waitresses. You don’t get that in Weatherspoons.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  10:54:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butch, I remember my mother saying that the Cavanna's were not interned and that they (I don't know how many) did active service.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  20:10:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was Joe Savi with a cafe in Casyle St. I missed him because he was after my time.
Just a thought- At Italian cafes ice cream was typically served in a "wafer"; cornets were for children. I wonder did Elf & safety effectively ban wafers.
(Was it not fantastic on a sunny Whit Monday to watch the procession the nip into Bernis for an ice cream. Those were the days !!
Go to Top of Page

georgie

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  15:04:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLyAvwf1-nfDNthdypfcpptYl8dkDjzkO_&v=VYP1SqzvAIs

There was a programme on the BBC a few years ago on the Italians in Wales who mostly entered catering, Many came from the Bardi area in the north. The programme centres om Merthyr Tydfil but recognises influence on other valley communities.
Go to Top of Page

Alma

6 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2019 :  22:45:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad Gino Rabaiotti owned the Queens cafe in the town.I left Tredegar many years ago but I always think of iTredegar as home.I try to go back at least once a year as it holds many happy memories for me. Dad’s ice cream was absolutely delicious & you could say that I was brought up on it!!I am proud to be a Welsh/Italian & as we say “our soul is in Italy but our heart is in Wales”
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  13:18:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alma, it's lovely to hear from you. I was in school with your brother Aldo. I frequented the Queen's Cafe regularly, and supplied your parents with the best quality veal. Your mother was a very shrewd lady, only the best was good enough. I hope you and your family are well. Best wishes, Graham Lewis, (retired Butcher)
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  14:36:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Queens was fantastic, probably the smartest in town and that is saying something).
We usually sat in Lounge 2 or 3 but longe 1 was possibly the best place. Like all of the Italian cafes the ice cream was great.
Does Alma know why wafers stopped being sold- I fancy it could be health and safety, but who knows (Incidentally cornets wer only for small choldren)
Go to Top of Page

Alma

6 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  15:48:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually didn’t realise they’d stopped selling wafers! I remember they were great fun to make & to eat .Obviously!
Sadly Aldo is no longer with us having died in Paris in 1996.Dad passed away in 1991 & Mum in 2012 at the grand age of 93.And you were very right Graham she was a very shrewd woman. Only the best was good enough.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  19:46:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a Rabaiotti's cafe in Crumlin in the 50's. I believe they were related to the family in Tredegar.
As regards wafers, I don't think it's anything to with health and safety. Why should it.? Most cafes today buy in their ready made ice cream, it's easier to scoop into cornets. I make my own wafers at home using ice cream and wafers from Aldi's. Excellent value and taste at £1.60p / litre.

Go to Top of Page

Alma

6 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  20:21:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cafe in Crumlin belonged to my Auntie Marie,Dad’s sister. Also his brother Romeo owned a cafe in Bethcar St Ebbw Vale.I hate to admit that my auntie’s ice cream was even better than dad’s & that’s saying something.
Does anyone remember Mr Jones(Choppy) who was head of french at the grammar school? He was the only person who ever taught me anything at school.And Mrs Maddox that taught English
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  21:13:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Mrs Rabbioatti in Usk and an Italian cafe of that name in Penarth.
Choppie (We called him Chop-Chop) was indeed the French master who became the Head. He was that great combination an excellent teacher but a teacher who stood no nonsense (so that is why you learned so much Alma).
I do not think he is with us any longer but, who knows, he would be in his mid/late nineties
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1296 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  21:13:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Spike Jones ,aka.Spider .An excellent teacher for those who wished to learn ,Can’t remember Miss Maddox .The English teacher in my time was Miss Mainwaring ,4 ft 11inches of dynamite. Wonderful to hear from you Alma .
Go to Top of Page

Alma

6 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  21:32:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a REALLY annoying little woman who also taught French. I’m sure we called her Lorna. She seemed to have a massive crush on Choppy & flitted in & out of his room at any opportunity!
I had to laugh when you said you thought he’d be in his late 90s if he was still alive. I thought he was in his 50s when I was there from 1960 to 1968!!
He must have done something right as he’s the reason I became a French teacher!
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

620 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2019 :  21:46:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that was Lorna Jenkins she is still living in Tredegar.Miss Maddox and Mr Jones were also teachers in The Comp when I was there I left in 1971.
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2019 :  11:01:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chop chop died some years ago
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2020 :  17:24:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelleyW

Yes that was Lorna Jenkins she is still living in Tredegar.Miss Maddox and Mr Jones were also teachers in The Comp when I was there I left in 1971.

I’m amazed to read that Lorna Jenkins is still alive and living in Tredegar (at least in 2019). She’s on the list of teachers in the Grammar School 1952 Prize Distribution programme, on another thread - probably the last survivor! To us she seemed well into middle-age in the late 1950s.

Thinking about teachers at that time, quite a few of them had no car and traveled to the Grammar School by bus - I think Lorna Jenkins came from Fochriw, Arthur Thomas from Rhymney, Miss Maddox from somewhere down the valley, Nancy(?) James from Cwm. Probably a few others as well.

It also struck me how many of the teachers met unusually tragic ends. A PE teacher called Ron Harris died quite young after (I believe) a rugby-related accident; Harold Edwards (Chuck) took his own life; there was the double tragedy of the Head, Dai Davies, and Deputy (Ned Parsons) both suffering a fatal heart attack at a prize-giving; Alun Pask dying in a house fire. I believe D B Jones, when Head, was involved in a serious car accident - did he ever recover sufficiently to return to his work? I find it hard to believe that any other school suffered so much tragedy.

We didn’t always appreciate our teachers at the time, but to remember them after all this time they must have made some positive impression on us..
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
125 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2020 :  19:22:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Alma ; Who was your cousin who stayed with you about 1963-ish. Lovely girl - I had one heck of a crush on her then.
I believe Mrs Enid Maddox lived in Newport and her husband was a Barrister. A great English teacher though feared at the time. Huge red pen circles around any mistakes - often through the page. Someone told me that Lorna Jenkins was still alive last year, living in Tredegar amd an active member of the Tredegar U3A. As Alma said, I thought she was in her 50's in the early 60's !!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.24 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.