Which High Street
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

monty

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  15:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, still researching the Edwards family of Tredegar but need help with an address that pops up on certificates I have. My Grandparents Evan and Louisa Edwards was living in 1, Hill Street, Tredegar. My Dad Ronald Henry Edwards was born at same address in 1932. I`ve asked various people where Hill Street is but found that no one seem to have heard of it in Tredegar. I`ve recently received my Grandad Evan Edwards death certificate (d. 1966) and found he lived in Island Street Argoed. I`ve found a Hill Street in Argoed on census but failed to find number 1. would anyone know if there ever was a Hill Street in Tredegar. It certainly states Tredeagr on the Birth and Marriage certificates I have. many thanks.

k new

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  20:18:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not heard of Hill St. It is possible that it is New Tredegar or again possible that Bedwellty District would have stated Tredegar when it wa a nearby village.
Sorry about that
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

601 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  21:22:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is Hill St in Rhymney all letters sent from Rhymney have got Tredegar stamped on them.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1708 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  21:27:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a hill view in Tredegar, but it's only three houses. There is an Hill Street in Rhymney, in fact it's the first Street into Rhymney, from Tredegar, just two miles away. Just a thought!! Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  21:37:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 Hill Street referred to by Butch was addressed 1 Hill Street, Tredegar at that time.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  23:45:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this may be of some help. Looking at the 1901 and 1911 censuses, Hill Street households appear in close proximity to George Street, Forge Row and Temple Street, which were in the vicinity between St George's Church and the northern end of the Ironworks. It's hard to imagine why a street in that location would be called 'Hill' Street, near the valley floor! An earlier discussion about Pond Row (https://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16706&SearchTerms=maps) also discusses this part of town. That discussion also has a link to the 1878 map, but there's no sign of Hill Street on the map.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  08:48:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monty ,google 1Hill Street,Tredegar: click on the Gwent heritage site for details of a WW1 casualty in the Edwards family ,There are quite a few names mentioned which should give you a good start to your researchHope this hips.
Go to Top of Page

monty

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  19:20:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. Just looked at 1911 census (I knew my G Grandparents Moses and Sarah Edwards was living here at that time) Hill Street was indeed a row of 9 houses situated between Forge Row and Temple Street. Looking at 1939 then there are only 4 houses there, numbers 4, 5, 7 and another 7? I have a marriage cert for my Grandparents and a Birth cert for my Dad all living at number1 in September 1932. So what happened between 1932 and 1939? My G Grandmother`s Brother David Edwards married and died in number 1.

k new
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  23:16:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going off piste, Hill View Tredegar has six houses and six bungalows.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  20:01:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is only a guess, but it's the only explanation I can think of for the disappearing addresses in Hill Street. It seems odd that there's a gap between No. 5 and 7; it's unlikely that No. 6 would have been demolished between two adjoining houses in a terraced row.

If (and, as I say, this is just a guess) they were back-to-back houses, I wonder whether some of the houses joined to the back of Hill Steet (whichever street that was) were knocked through to incorporate the houses not listed in 1939. It's likely that family members lived in close proximity in those streets, possibly making it easier to knock through to make larger dwellings.

I've no evidence for any of this. Perhaps there are old TUDC records that may shed light on this question - something for the local history groups to investigate?
Go to Top of Page

monty

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  20:25:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. A good theory. I`ve now found out through Tredegar byegone years that there was an awful fire and as a result Hill Street had to be demolished in April 1931. I`m assuming only part of Hill Street was affected and demolished. Because the fire was 1931 but I have Marriage Cert for Grandparents living there in September 1932.

k new
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.