Genealogy
 Family name enquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Callamars

7 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  21:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello forum your help would be most appreciated am trying to trace my fathers family ie his mothers and fathers names, my fathers name Cornelius Callaghan as I'm aware born December 31st 1900 either tredegar or merthyr Tydfil. Many thanks for any help you can give me. Yours GlynCallaghan.

dalex41

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  23:30:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1911 Census shows Cornelius Callaghan living at 15 Iron Street Tredegar with his parents Thomas and Sarah and 5 siblings. His parents were born in Dowlais and he was born in Pontlottyn in 1900.Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Callamars

7 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  07:26:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much dalex41 for this information so farI'm now going to try to see if there are any surving relatives. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Callamars

7 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  20:22:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dalex41 on the census it shows 5 siblings would there be any chance yourself could find out if they were all sister's please?
Go to Top of Page

dalex41

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  00:03:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Cornelius' 5 siblings were all sisters namely in order of age in 1911 Margaret(19),Sarah(15),Mary(12),Norah(8),Bridged(3). The youngest was born in 1908 and would now be 111 and probably now deceased and it is not known what their married surnames would have been that is if they married at all.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

601 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  21:08:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was Callaghanís family living in the Ashvale area of Tredegar.
Go to Top of Page

Callamars

7 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  07:14:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello shelleyw .thank you for the message am looking into all areas trying to trace my fathers family and if any relatives are still around today i so need to do this. Many thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Callamars

7 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  14:00:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, would really appreciate if anyone on the forum has names of the callaghans that lived in ashvale area of tredegar going back over the years or present time please many thanks. Glyn
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2019 :  10:46:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Callamars,
In the 1939 register there is a Thomas Callaghan aged 77 yrs WIDOW living in 22 Church Sq Tredegar with John and Irene Benbow. John is a wagon repairer and Thomas is down as Colliery Domestic duties. Irene May have been his daughter?

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2019 :  11:00:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at it again, Irene was born on 1906 so is unlikely to be Thomasís Daughter unless it is a middle name. May be a niece? This Thomas Callaghan was born April 14th 1862. Donít know if this ties in with your information. There are 2 others living in the house in 1939 but their records are Private/ closed / secret. Hope Iím not leading you up the wrong path, but may be worth checking.
G
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2019 :  11:51:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a quick look at the 1939 register and there are only 2 other addresses in Tredegar that had Callaghanís in residence at that time.
1) Mary A and James Callaghan Both born in 1888. Living in 21 Inkerman Tc. With one other person (Private)
2) Kathleen Callaghan born May 14th 1921 a University student living in 21 Park Hill with Brynley Philips and Annie M Thomas (Philips).
There are lots of Callaghanís in the valleys e.g. Daniel C born 1916, Timothy C born 1917, and Mary C born 1890 all living in Plymouth St. Merthyr. There many others eg in Merthyr, Rhymney, Pontlottyn, Cardiff, Newport, Llantwit Fadre, etc etc. Canít see anyone in 1939 living in Ashvale, Try the electoral rolls you may pick up something there. If I get a chance Iíll give it another look sometime. Happy hunting! G

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.