Complaining about Housing in 1945 to Nye Bevan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martin Powell-Davies

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2019 :  16:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, I shared some old photos of my father's of wartime Tredegar. I'm now looking again at old boxes and found some documents that may be of interest - and a reply from Nye Bevan.

I do not seem to be able to attach actual photos of the documents to this post - perhaps someone could contact me to let me know how?

Here are some excerpt from the typed documents that I have:

20 Iron Street
Sewage seeping into living rooms. Condemned beyond repair. Council says nothing can be done. News Chronicle and Aneurin Bevan informed and urged to immediate action.

19 Iron Row
Doctor advised man to create disturbance in every council meeting until his complaints were seen to. Dr. says worse than 20 Iron Street.

35 North Avenue
19 living in a four-roomed house. Council pleads no available council house, but Council Chairman has recently been given a Council house 3 in family. There are other cases of misuse of public money and political corruption which are to be investigated.

166 Upper Mount Pleasant
During rain wall and floor of living room entirely wet, (not damp). With wind and rain, room uninhabitable. Landlord promises to repair immediately if tenants quit. Persons living in house: man and wife. Boys 21, 15, 10, 9 and 6. Girl returning on 18th April, 13.

House of Commons 1st March 1945
Dear Mr. Davies,
Very many thanks for your letter. I think perhaps that you would inclined to misjudge me certainly there was never a reform yet that had its origin exclusively in the mind of a politician. Therefore, not only do I agree with what you have done but I regard such exposures as the beginning of good health in any state
Yours sincerely, Aneurin Bevan

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.