Genealogy
 Orchard family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2020 :  18:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2X Great Grandfather Joseph Samuel Orchard (b 1847) worked as an engine fitter at the Iron works. In the 1871 and 1881 census he lived at 8 Union Street with his wife Mary and family. However in the 1891 census Mary is shown as Head of family and shown as married. I am unable to ascertain where Joseph is and also not able to find any record of his death. I have copies of 2 of his sons marriage certs (1892 and 1906) which both show him as father and occupation as Mechanic/Engineer - not deceased. The only death that shows up in Ancestry is a Joseph Orchard at sea in 1885 - Is there any one who can help? Many thanks Mark

milkman

United Kingdom
1425 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  16:05:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello orcharm, My g/father lived in 7 Union St from about 1900 to 1942 and my cousins followed so I know it quite well. I have no recollection of your family but a building family called Baldridge lived at that house from the 1940s approx.
An earlier member asked about this street. It was a very tidy street with really nice families.
I thought it quite unnecessary and quite bad that the council allowed it to be demolished
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

551 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2020 :  18:14:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our customers in the shop was a Mrs Orchard we served her for years lovely lady
Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2020 :  20:34:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Milkman and Shelley for your replies - Shelley - can I please ask what type of shop was it and where was it located, also when are we talking about when were you serving her and how old would she have been? One of my 2X great grandfathers sons (Willian Alfred Orchard) was a teacher in Tredegar and was living at Sirhowy Villa, Tredegar in 1911with his wife Minnie (nee Samuel). I briefly visited Tredegar last year and one of the museum chaps said he was taught by a Mrs Orchard.
Regards Mark

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

551 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2020 :  20:45:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband was als taught by a Miss Orchard in Dukestowns infants school in about 1960....The Mrs Orchard I know is Still alive and is well in her 90s I donít know if there is a connection.
Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2020 :  21:02:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shelley - did you receive my email on 30/1/20?
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

551 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2020 :  21:33:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I deleted it by mistake Orcharm try and send it again.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  17:14:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm given to understand that Agnus Jane Orchard a niece of William Orchard headmaster at sirhowy school married Thomas George Cole .he had a daughter Argnus who married Trevor Phillips grocer in town.MY sister in law Audrey Orchard mackintosh is a grand daughter of Thomas Cole.

Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  23:04:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
William Orchard is mentioned in Michael Footís biography of Aneurin Bevan, describing an incident during Nyeís schooldays at Sirhowy. This link provides the details: http://wenvoe.org.uk/?p=4818
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1425 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2020 :  15:11:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that Trevor Phillips may well be the father of Ken Phillips. (The grocers shop was later run by Fred Phillips). Ken is alive and living in Crickhiwell. I have his number if youncannot locate itb
Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2020 :  13:35:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shelley - re sent email today - many thanks
Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2020 :  13:40:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nutandboltdarlo - many thanks for this link!!!
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

551 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2020 :  20:12:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Orcharm I havenít received your e mails
Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2020 :  22:07:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shelley - is your email address correct in your profile?, this is how I am sending them to you. Regards Mark
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13699 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  14:29:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ShellyW, if you can please send me an email to webmaster@tredegar.co.uk then I'll send you the e-mail address :o)

Thanks,

Piertre

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  18:34:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre I have put my e mail address on my profile when I looked I had put my husbands e mail in by mistake.I have now altered it , hope I done it right.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13699 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  19:35:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shelly.

Shelly & Orcharm you have e-mail,

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

Orcharm

7 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2020 :  19:52:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shelley - have re sent the email.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.