New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2020 :  21:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently came across this small token when I was going through some family history envelopes.
I know the Co-op had tokens for loaves of bread and pints of milk etc and TIC issued tokens for using in their shop.
This very small token has Tredegar Prov Society on it. (The predecessor of the Co-op I think) It’s valued at a Half Sovereign, 10/=, which would have been quite a lot of money at the time. (I would have thought.)
It also has the name Ardill of Leeds, who manufactured a range of tokens for the Co-op and other companies throughout the UK
I have sent a couple of photos to Pierre to add to this post, but as you will see it’s a bit smaller than a 20p and a lot thinner! Any ideas of the approximate date as it would be interesting to find out what today’s approximate value would be.
I’m not sure when the Society changed it’s name to the Co-op.

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2020 :  14:15:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Titch for the images

Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  10:53:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv no idea of the value I remember the bread man coming to the door and bringing a basket with different kinds of bread for my mum to choose what she wanted .If I remember correctly the milk checks were an oval shape and I also remember them being very light weight
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  11:20:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there were 2 bread checks,a round one for small loaves and an oblong one for large
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  11:26:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Angel I can also remember the checks, some of them had holes in them. Some were made of brass others were like an aluminium metal. As far as I remember they were mostly oval in shape, the milk tokens were similar, they are occasionally on sale with e Bay. Ardills must have made millions of the checks over the years. I hadn’t seen one as small as this one though. I wonder were this given out as part of the monthly ‘dividend’ that members were allocated as it seems quite a lot of money for the time! Any thoughts?

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  11:34:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1920 10 shillings would be worth approximately £22.50 in 2019!
In 1900 10 bob would be worth over £60 in 2019 Wow!
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  11:41:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You’re probably correct Ex Brompton, they weren’t being used when I was working for Mr Fear doing his bread round #128512;#128512;#128512;

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  13:55:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh the things you tend to forget until someone or something jogs your memory .Titch we lived in a village and you used to have to purchase the checks from the small office .Lots of good memories
Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  15:27:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, there were two milk checks. A circular one for one pint and an oval one for two pints. Both had a hole through the centre.
There were a number of different bread checks, without holes
Circular for one loaf
Oval for two loaves
Triangular for a small loaf e.g. a cob or batch and
Square for a sliced loaf.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  16:56:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a milkboy in the 1940s I recall that a pint of milk was same price as a loaf. That was 4 1/2d. (just over 1.5p new mone0 ySo milk now is very cheap. Basic bread not expensive but special bread (even brown) quite expensive
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  19:07:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milkman do you know when the name changed from the Provident Society to the Co-operative Wholesale Society, I’m assuming it was well before 1940, any thoughts?

milkman

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  20:29:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Titch, I would agree. I recall it being called the CWS with Eddie Jones as general Manager.
What a smart company. What went wrong?
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  23:55:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Yes Titch, I would agree. I recall it being called the CWS with Eddie Jones as general Manager.
What a smart company. What went wrong?

The Tredegar Coop celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1951. I remember going to an exhibition in a marquee on the Rec ground. They also produced a booklet, a photo of which is included in the Gallery -
https://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3305
It appears it was still using its historic name, Tredegar Industrial and Provident Society in 1951.
I agree, it was an amazing enterprise, with stores from Waundeg down to Blackwood (and further?), a bakery, a fleet of delivery vans, the central store and head office (with lifts!), the first self-service supermarket, and more. I think it all went wrong when people decided they preferred instant Green Shield stamps from Tesco to waiting for the ‘divvy’ from the Coop
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  02:33:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information folks, it looks as if the ten bob check / token could have been issued at any time after 1901 but probably before it ‘officially’ changed it’s name to the CWS (whenever that was).
Very fond memories of the HQ next to the Cong, the lift was magic and the system for handling the money via the ‘bullets’ must have been there until it closed. It’s a pity it was ‘redeveloped,’ places like that and the Workman’s Hall Etc would hopefully be listed nowadays! Great organisation which probably wasn’t appreciated at the time. Pity so many lovely buildings, traditional shops and especially the interiors have been lost. Spoons wasn’t around in those times, they may have saved one or two. #129300;
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2020 :  15:09:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s gone very quiet, should I not have mentioned Spoons?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.