Two Way Family Favorites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

milkman

United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  10:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it is Fathers Day I was reminded of this radio programme.
It was hosted by Cliff Michelmore in UK and Jean Metcalfe in Sennelager (or similar) in Germany.
It started with the orchestral version of "With A Song In My Heart" before they each read out then played requests for the boys in BFPO Germany.
Oddly enough (now) every request had been sent by mail but a postcard in those days had postage of about a half penny.
It was such a popular programme recalled I am sure by Titch and Butch, plus Ann and keith in Pembs. How many others I wonder.Different times. I think it ended about 1960 when National Service finished

ddraig

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  10:56:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember it, also remember listening to the Clitheroe Kid every week I'm frequently laughed at when I call the radio a "wireless"

Edited by - ddraig on 21/06/2020 10:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  12:30:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here. ddraig also when I slip up and say pictures instead of cinema showing our age ?
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1300 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  14:57:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who can remember Charles relay ?
Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  15:39:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had Charles Relay at home when I was small. By the late 50’s, most people had their own radios and fewer subscribed to the service. A neighbour of ours was the last user in the area at a time when the network needed renewing so the company gave the family a portable radio when they shut down the service.
On the subject of Sunday broadcasts, which included Two Way Family Favourites, we always listened to programmes like The Billy Cotton Bandshow, The Navy Lark and many others.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  16:58:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a small error- Jean was in London and Cliff was in Germany.
They were married in 1950. Both died in recent years
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
125 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  20:11:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember JC Charles & Charles' Relay. A man used to come every week with a "new" battery for te radio -- a Leclanche Cell. My favourite programme around lunchtime on Sundays was "Round the Horn". It made Kenneth Williams
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  00:10:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were still houses in the 50s (my Gran in Vale Terrace was one) which did not have electricity, so the Relay was the only way of getting radio programmes. Does anyone remember how much it cost? Was it a weekly payment? And how was the network structured? Are there any physical remains of the infrastructure around the town? I think the growth of estates like Waundeg and Cefn Golau were a bit of a stretch for the network also.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  20:30:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it may have been 1/- a week. (5p in new money)
Before that I remember we had an accumulator radio. A man called Medlicott in Park View charged it each week but it was still poor. I think I heard Chamberlain's speech on it but we were on the relay for most of the war.
The relay would also interrupt with important news. Such as: during the 1947 snow disruption I recall- "The Grammar school is closed today and probably tomorrow).Charles was, I believe an Italian who changed his name; his wife was definitely Welsh.
They lived in a large detached houes opp Four Rows- I think a doctor owned it previously
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2020 :  11:55:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh all those radio programmes were wonderful. I can recall my Great Grandmother and Grandmother being glued to Mrs Dale’s diary and the Archers! ( for us rebel youngsters there was radio Luxembourg with a small battery radio under the covers at midnight)!
A couple of times a week, late evening, they would throw a raw onion into the embers of the fire in the grate, when it was ‘roasted’ they would peel off the burnt parts and break the rest up into some hot milk with a slice of bread in it and that was their supper #128512; Also toasting bread in front of the fire on a toasting fork. I have vivid memories of Christmas time and my Grandmother roasting a goose hanging in front of the fire. (The goose not my Grandmother #128512;#128512;#128512;) The goose grease was collected in a dish underneath and used for all sorts of things especially my G. Grandmother’s special herb ointment! Guaranteed to heal any cut, rash etc and ‘draw’ any boil!!!
Did anyone have Scollops? Thickly sliced potatoes dipped in batter and fried in a pan. Corned beef was also cooked in a similar fashion. Favourite of all was my Grandmother’s rabbit broth, I can taste it now! Chicken broth was also another favourite, using an old boiling fowl, there doesn’t seem to be the flavour in the chickens there used to be ,or is it just I can’t make it the way she used to. Chicken was a bit of a luxury, rarely would we have turkey for Christmas Day, the chicken was so good anyway. Lamb or beef were the normal Sunday lunch accompanied by home made mint sauce or Yorkshire puddings, veg from the garden or allotment. (Usually with 2 way family favourites playing in the background with Jean Metdcalf as the compère) Treats In the summer would be home grown blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries or strawberries with a dollop of Zaraski’s ice cream from the shop on the corner of Iron St and Lower Coronation St. I used to look forward to Collecting the Wimberries from Cefn Goula (occasionally with the odd sheep dropping amongst them!!!#128512;#128512;#128512;#128512;) I don’t think we appreciated all those things at the time, but programmes on the radio such as The Navy Lark, the Goon Show, Round the horn, Billy Cotton’s Band Show (wakey waykeeey), Workers Playtime, The Black and White Minstrels, Have a go!, (What’s on the table Mable, as Wilfred Pickles used to say), Simon Templer, Dan Dare, Sing something simple, (Cliff Adam’s Singers) Gert and Daisy, etc, there were dozen’s of programmes who all had their regular spots.
Who remembers being told to ‘shut up’ the football results are on! #128512; When the old man was figuring out how he was going to spend the £75,000 fortune he was about to win on the pools!!! Each week we used to have to give him our ‘lucky numbers’ to add to his entry on Littlewoods or occasionally Vernon’s coupon, as they say ‘those were the days’ if we only knew it! Or am I just a sentimental old b***er?
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2020 :  12:02:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading this post I can Just hear my little Sister saying “God you don’t half go on”!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

272 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2020 :  12:55:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titch,I really enjoyed reading your trip back in time.
Hope you and family are all safe and well.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2020 :  13:14:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks P, hope it hasn’t bored you too much.
A few hopefully minor issues here but we’re ok.
Can’t wait to get back home to Tred for my fix which I have missed for the past 2 years. Also hoping to get over to Scotland to see the Grandchildren, Daughter and Son in Law. When, who knows, the Scots are very cautious at the moment.
You and your family keep safe and well. G

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  17:36:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Meldicott,I helped him out on Saturdays a few times. He sold parazone (bleach) as well as recharging accumulators.He later movedto New Tredegar and opened a Television shop. My father built our wireless powered by high tension dry cell battery and low volt accumulator.The wireless was placed on the window sill ,unfortunately the acid in the accumulator rotted the curtains! My favourite on radio Luxemburg was Jack Jackson band's theme tune carnival in Venice, Sunday night 11 .pm Wonderful memories of my Tredegar days.After a walk in the park listening to the town band.

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

621 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  18:54:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a nice post to read Titch the only one I picked up on was sing something simple,I can always remember my father getting ready to go down the Demo on a Sunday night and this was always playing.Being a good bit younger than you I can’t remember many more of the programs.ha ha......Hope your and your family are keeping well over there...Shelley also Brian sends his regards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.