Large flocking of jackdaws
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2020 :  10:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone notice large flockings (clattering) of jackdaws (I think their Jackdaws) loads of them, when they land on the roofs it sounds like heavy rain, they did it last night and again today.

butch

United Kingdom
1728 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2020 :  22:43:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get them quite regularly over the Cefn parc area, hundred of them flock over and land on our rooftops, and the stand on the Rec. There is a protected rookery in the park, and also one in the garden of David Lewis's bungalow on Park Hill. Recently they have been attacking the seagulls (sky rats) which have been robbing the crows nest.
On the subject of birds (feathers variety) we seem to have a lot more magpies in our garden recently.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2020 :  10:20:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have magpies that come in the garden, they do seem to be thriving, they take baby birds from their nests to feed their young (and themselves) they killed the whole nest of baby blackbirds last year and my cats are terrified of them.

Edited by - ddraig on 26/06/2020 10:21:28
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

778 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2020 :  12:06:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had visiting magpies, blue tits, robins, sparrows, blackbirds and another brown bird smaller than a sparrow with a black hood? wish they would eat a few more of the flies that are buzzing around as of late. Can't help thinking 3 week bin collections are not helping especially if people are not recycling their food waste every week. Also saw a woodpecker on the telegraph pole a few weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
515 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2020 :  20:22:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have coal tits, blue tits, robins, wrens, blackbirds, greenfinches, sparrows, starlings, thrushes, chaffinches, great tits, even had goldfinches and bullfinches visiting my bird feeders, that was until a pair of magpies stared nesting in one of my very large trees. All I have now are robins, sparrows, starlings and the occasional blue, coal or great tit. The wood pigeons, huge hooded crows sea gulls and the hated magpies are in abundance, having scared off 90% of the smaller birds, as mentioned theyíve invaded the nests and even torn off nest boxes Iíve put up.. Theyíve eaten the chicks from several nests as Iíve found the remaining feathers of quite a few. Itís got to the stage Iím thinking of removing the huge tree they nest in and replacing it with smaller ones. (At a cost of £450 -£500, but it will be well worth it just to get rid of them). Unfortunately they are a protected species, I think they should be classified a Ďverminí. They ruin the general small bird population and make such an awful racket.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1279 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  09:31:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a wire caged magpie trap on Amazon .Cost about £40
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1728 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  10:32:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you do with them, once you've trapped them Keanjo? I've heard of four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie, but never magpies.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  12:26:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a family of magpies living in an Elderberry tree at the back of the garden which was falling over from a storm, we couldn't have the tree cut down until they had finished nesting. They are excellent parents, I have to say after watching them nurture their young I have a soft spot for them (NO TRAPS!) even though they gave the cats hell
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1279 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  13:20:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You catch the birds live. You then have to look them in the eye and shoot them with an air gun .Otherwise you drive about 30 miles before release .Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1728 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  17:49:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stop winding up Ddraig, Keanjo, I can sense her getting into quite a flutter.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2020 :  10:21:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Keanjo, sounds like you've been watching too many Clint Eastwood films.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13739 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2020 :  10:55:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a young kid (careful now, I was young once, even my mother can confirm it ) I was always amazed at the flocking of Jackdaws around the bit of forest around the Rhydhall and tip area of the town.

The very strange thing it only happened, or happened the most, on a Sunday afternoon. Going upto Whitworth Tce to visit relatives at around 3:30 in the winter was taking your life in you own hands!

Like this but multiply by 10

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2020 :  11:07:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's strange as they don't do it every day but when they do and land around you it's like watching Hitchcock's "The Birds"
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
515 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  17:14:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keanjo do those wire traps really work, Iíve heard conflicting comments about them. Iíd gladly pay £40 it would save £400 - £500 getting a tree cut down#128512;#128512;#128512;
Weíre not allowed pellet guns or any other guns for that matter where I live. Itís virtually impossible to get a licence. I wonder why?
Farmers can get guns though, very strict regulations apply.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1279 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2020 :  19:24:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked well for me ,caught about six in a fortnight .Used faw sausage as bait and a live magpie as a decoy. .
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  10:33:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you want to get rid of them (magpies)?
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  15:07:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magpies are very intelligent, inquisitive and beautiful bird; yes they do take young chicks and eggs from nest ,but so do crows and blackbirds have been show to do likewise.The biggest thread to the young chicks are cats.I have had blackbirds nest in my garden, only to see fledgling taken by cats.
As regards flocking jackdaws ;my memory of my Tredegar days is the Jackdaws at the Glen and harassing a cat in Tom Williams field.
The loss of smaller birds is alarming. When i first came to Oakdale some fifty ago, there were House martins Swallows,swifts every summer, I have not see one this year.Sad!!

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  15:25:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two cats, 15yrs old, so far only 2 birds have lost their lives because of the one cats love of hunting (he prefers to hunt mice and rats) my other cat has only killed the occasional butterfly and moth, although he will chase a grasshopper for hours without luck. I have had blackbirds that nest in my hedges for years, they have thrived and (unless the young are killed by bigger birds) regularly raise two lots of young a year and will chase the cats if they become too inquisitive.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  19:50:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pleased to hear that, perhaps the cats in my garden are under fed.?

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2020 :  08:30:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to keep cats out of your garden Magpies are a really good deterrent, there aren't many cats that will take on one let alone two Magpies
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1728 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2020 :  14:21:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ddraig, you wil be pleased to know that ALL birds, including Maggie's, jackdaws, and pigeon's are protected by law in G.B. so Titch @ co.had better be careful, otherwise the will be up before the Break.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  10:24:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Butch, I hate to see any birds (or wildlife and pets) harmed, speaking of pigeons, there used to be loads in the shopping precinct, now you don't see any at all (thank goodness), reminded me also when we visited the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, the whole place is covered in nets to stop the multitude of pigeons getting in
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.