columbus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

milkman

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  10:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having read that two statues of Christopher Columbus have been taken down in a park in Chicago I am wondering what next.
They cannot remove the Lighthouse of Rhodes nor the Hanging Gardens of Babylon so it could well be the Pyramids

keanjo

United Kingdom
1279 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  15:18:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not the pyramids and the Sphinx. They were built by slaves. It seenSeems to me that the west is blamed entirely for the African slave trade without too much thought but the Arab countries captured many more ,and it seems that on the West African coast it was the Africans who I captured people from the interior and sold them to slave ships .Of course slavery was dreadful and must be condemned but it is part of the history of the world and I canít see any justification for destroying statues.Sorry,rant over.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1729 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  15:31:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good point Milkman, it took many years to build the pyramid's, and it took thousands of slaves to build them, and very many got killed, or worked to death in the process. So are the pyramid classed as fair game to be demolished? Somehow I don't think the Egyptian government would be to keen on that idea, as it's their main tourist attraction. The mind boggles as to where they draw the line. Just a thought, so it's just as well Picton Street Chapel has already been demolished!!
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2566 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  17:12:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that the White House in America was also built by slaves.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  20:39:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling that Lincoln actually had slaves at the time of the Civil War. Of course he may have freed them immediately aftero
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1279 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2020 :  22:23:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lincolnís favoured solution was to send the slaves back to Africa .Liberia was created but many chose to stay in America.
From my own experience I can tell you life in the bush in West Africa is no picnic and I can understand why they preferred to stay in the US
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13739 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2020 :  10:49:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you worked for "the Tredegar Iron & Coal company" payment for food could be given in the form of a token only to be used in company shops. Not slavery, but have received emails over the last few months on the subject!

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2020 :  10:03:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, Pierre. In fact women and girls worked underground until about 1850 wheras slavery was abolished some 25 years earlier. Reading Thomas Hardy clearly farm Labourers were "marketed until the 3rd quarter of the 19th Century in S England (and it would not only have been in the south).
Young boys were used as "fetchers in the iron works. They would bring beer for the furnace workers and would be rewarded for their efforts- they did not have a wage as such.
Clearly many slaves had a really bad time but they were not alone.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

195 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  13:54:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know from history what tearing down statues means - collapse of civilisation. If the rulers of western countries will not restore soon the pride of their nations and it's history in few generations there will be nothing left but rumbles.
Go to Top of Page

evansfam

14 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  23:32:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprisingly 15 people in Monmouthshire & 11 in Glamorgan owned slaves.When slavery abolished they were paid compensation (equivalent of £17 billion for all UK). Probably helped to start businesses.'Legacies of British Slave Ownership' (ucl.ac.uk) lists who was paid,where they lived,& how much they got paid.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.