New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ddraig

United Kingdom
1537 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2020 :  10:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Gerry Stuart, Torbay AHAT member, said: “They are slightly smaller than our native European hornet and it is 25-30mm head to tail, it has an orange face and a dark abdomen with the 4th segment yellow.

"Its thorax is entirely dark brown or black and velvety, and the insect has bright yellow tips to its legs. Unlike our native European hornet (Vespa crabro), it doesn’t fly at night.

"Thwarting its establishment here in the UK is crucial to protect our pollinators, UK flora, fruit and other insect pollinated crop production.

"The public should be aware that whilst the Asian hornets are not ordinarily aggressive, they are advised that they should not under any circumstances approach a nest

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/18640313.bee-killer-asian-hornets-uk-spot-one/

billbaily

837 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  13:40:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In the paper today I read that a wasps nest has been found the size of a space hopper and containing at least 5,000 insects. Apparently the warm weather and insects make a perfect match. I Wouldn't want that in my attic!
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1537 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  14:31:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasps are good for the environment, that said, you don't want nests in your house or garden, I have a "fake" nest hanging from a tree in the garden, apparently, wasps are territorial and won't build a nest near others. They do become a bother early autumn when they're drunk and out of work though.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.