General Discussion and MAD HOUSE
 Handy Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  18:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This topic is for members to share their handy tips. I am looking forward to reading yours, I'll start you off with 2

1. When wearing thin rubber gloves be warned - DO NOT attempt to pull a zip with them. They will get caught in the zip!

2. If you like Marmite but find it too strong when you spread it on toast mix the Marmite & butter together in a small container/bowl first. It spreads more evenly and you don't get a large patch of strong Marmite on your toast

milkman

United Kingdom
1498 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  11:22:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two tips concerning coughing.
When your nose tickles and you think you will sneeze- push your tongue against the roof of mouth in the tickle spot.
Also if the tickle is more in yourthroat open your thtroat wide, possibly with mouth open. In my case one side of throat can irritate the opposite side. Well it works for me.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  17:27:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is going to be helpful - no one wants to be seen/heard coughing now in public areas
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  19:41:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's a shame the brown plastic tubs that hold the lidls mushrooms in cannot be recycled. It's such a waste to throw them out in the refuse bins. I keep them and when I am painting & decorating whenever I want a much needed tea break, as you do! I have somewhere to hold my paintbrush until I'm ready to start again.

Also

Before you go and store your left over paint back in the shed/garage pour a small amount in a small recycled clean jar e.g mint sauce size and if you need to touch up a mark on the wall you can - use a new kiddies paint brush .
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2020 :  12:46:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Read this online recently - thought it maybe handy for gardeners

Don't put all your newspapers out for recycling, keep a few to deter weeds
Wet the newspaper sheets and layer them around your plants in the garden and then cover them over with soil
Apparently weeds won't get through the newspaper layers
Worth a try
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2020 :  18:07:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To remove black mould from mastic in the shower.Make apaste of bicarbonate of soda and bleach,spread it on and leave overnight.Rinse off in the morning.Works like magic
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1298 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2020 :  18:14:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following on billbaily s gardening tips .old newspapers can also be used to line the runner bean trench before filling with compost
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2020 :  21:12:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Will give both a try.
Also is there a runner bean out there that isn't too stringy to eat? If so what variety is it? thanks
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1298 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2020 :  21:41:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Mr Fothergills St George beans .Nice taster still with the bonus of a very attractive red and white blossom even now.Good luck for next year .
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2020 :  20:09:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the bean suggestion, will definitely try some next year. For those who fancy having a go at gardening but don't have a lot of space to do so, try growing some blueberries in tubs/large pots. I bought some they were very reasonable think they were approx 1-2 or so from supermarkets a few years ago. I've had many blueberries from them and this year especially has been brilliant. They seem easy to care for too. The children like to go and collect them off the bushes, it's great to show them how food is grown.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2020 :  09:47:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Cinema Tip

Don't be tempted to put a packet of chocolates on your lap in the cinema - a combination of warm cinema temperatures, a dropped chocolate out of the packet, no lights on can lead to a very awkward situation when the lights come back on and you have to walk out into the daylight... Be warned!
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2020 :  14:03:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Exbrompton your tip about black mould worked a treat.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  12:25:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've had an automatic renewal letter/email for your car breakdown cover and it is more money than they are charging online for the same cover just phone/chat online and query this and they will let you have it for the cheaper price. I did this and it was really easy to do, especially as we haven't been using the car over the last 6 months and have had no callouts.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  12:31:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Don't throw your old socks out - recycle them and use to speed up your dusting. Pop an old sock on each hand and dust with both. Good exercise too!
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  16:43:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant tip of Bleach & Bicarb, my sills are gleaming. For a burnt on pan put an inch or two of water & 2 used teabags.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  09:40:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you have a few weeds growing on paths, patios etc., just boil a kettle and pour the hot water directly onto the weed. It kills the weeds within days. No need to spend money on weed killers
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  12:41:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Always check your till receipts. Just come home from Morrisons and I bought amongst other groceries, three special offer priced items only to be charged the full price. If I hadn't checked my receipt and walked straight out through the shop I would have been nearly 5 out of pocket. The lady at the customer service was apologetic and there was no problem in getting a refund but it might save anyone else having to queue up again or being overcharged.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  15:19:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grape lovers read this

Don't normally shop in Waitrose but I have to give them credit for the best tasting grapes I've ever had

Aromatic, rich and intensely sweet, seedless Vitoria grapes (origin Brazil)

If anyone spots them in Lidl's let me know
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2350 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  16:36:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep your pencil eyeliners in the fridge to keep the nib hard and prevent it from melting and snapping so easily - I put mine in the top of the fridge door.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2020 :  17:53:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mix one teaspoon of black pepper with your detergent to stop colours fading - wash clothes on a low temperature

Use toothbrushes (not the one your currently using LOL) to clean in awkward places. Very handy around taps

Separate banana's if you want them to ripen slowly
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2020 :  10:07:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Earlier on I mentioned reusing the brown mushroom containers in Lidl's. Just read that Lidl have said that by 2025 100% of their own brand packaging will be widely recyclable, reusable or renewable now that's a step in the right direction and one we will all gladly support. Well done! I have noticed last week the mushrooms have been in clear plastic containers too.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

911 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  19:07:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Add 1-2 teaspoons of marmite into your stews, bolognese or soups it gives it a deep, savoury umami flavour.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.