General Discussion - Tredegar
 detached house in Bedwellty Park
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

907 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  14:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Does anyone remember the house that was in the grounds of Bedwellty Park and the history behind it?

billbaily

907 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  14:24:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Think it used to be up near the gates by the Rugby Club side
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  14:46:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was about 200 yards down Stable Lane (on the left).
I believe it was a bungalow, certainly single storey.
It appeared to be occupied by a person working in the park.
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
125 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  17:26:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there were two houses in the park. One was next to the main entrance gates by the old post office. The other one was where Milkman described and was once lived in by Herby Goodwin, the park keeper. I think I saw on the Forum some time ago, a discussion on this and one of Herby's children subscribed. Worth looking up ??
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

642 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  18:12:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was once a door in the wall halfway down stable lane which was known as the doctors door - could it be associated with the house ?
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  20:57:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The house inside the main gates is still there, it was the lodge for the parks superintendent, it's now being used as council offices.
As you may remember, there wasn't a boundary wall to the park in stable lane. They were taken down, and the park keepers lodge was also demolished. They then built the dressed stone wall which is there now. Stable lane was also made a one way system, this took place in the mid to late 70s at a cost of £30k. The only door I can remember in stable lane was to the morgue, which was about three-quarters of the way down the lane.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  22:17:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, should read, there wasn't a boundary wall, it was RAILINGS. I hope that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

907 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  09:22:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thought I could remember a house in the grounds years ago and regarding the door off stable lane - well you've jogged my memory about that too, thanks everyone
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2582 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  14:32:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The park keepers residence was a bungalow with two entrances one in stable lane and one at the rear of the house that opened into the top playing field.
The doctors door could well be the door to the morgue
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2582 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  15:37:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have said top playing field by swans pond
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  17:05:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Park Manager, Jim Morgan lived in the hose adjacent to main gate.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  18:30:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Milkman, I don't remember Tom Baker, Mr. Bates was superintendent in the fifties through to the sixties, then John Hall took over. It was John that transformed the ponds,and brought the peacocks, and the parrots, plus lots more to the park. He was a true visionary, but unfortunately the T.U.D.C. could not keep up with the cost of his modernisation and he was lost to an authority in England.
After he left all the good things he introduced were neglected and went to pot.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

907 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  19:49:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm sure there used to be an aviary where the Orchid Tea Room is now
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2020 :  01:34:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there was an aviary there, when my Grandfather (a retired council worker) died, his budgies were donated to the aviary in the Park. They also had parakeets and cockatoos. I remember it well BB.#128077;

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
520 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2020 :  01:58:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there still a ‘cage bird society’ in the town? In the 50’s there were regular Bird shows held, often in the back room of the Black Prince. We used to travel to shows in towns all over the valleys on a Saturday, the society used to hire a bus to take the members to towns like Abertillery, Risca, Rhymney, Pontypool etc. I was only a nipper and used to go with my Grandfather and Uncle Ken. Birds would be shown in home built cages the size and shape being regulated by the Various Societies, the cages had to be black on the outside but had to be painted white internally. The cages were carried in home built boxes which either held a single cage or more often a double. They would have the name of the owner painted in white on the main background of black. Great memories of a ‘past age’ #128512;

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.