General Discussion - Tredegar
 Was that you on television last night ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

945 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  15:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A glimpse of Park Place Surgery on the television last night on Ruth Jones' Who Do You Think You Are programme

A man is pushing a pram with a young child in it and there was a teenager? walking past too. Look at the shop near the surgery as well

Check it out and let us know

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  08:40:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also spotted the Park Place surgery - it looked quite an impressive building in that shot.

Am I right in thinking it was originally a cinema? Glyn Baptist chapel used to have tip-up cinema-style seats, and I was told that they had been purchased from Park Place when the cinema closed.

There was another link to Tredegar in the programme. RuthJones was looking at details of a meeting attended by representatives of various Medical Aid societies. The rep for Tredegar was a Mr C King. Does anyone know anything about him?.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2020 :  11:40:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The surgery had been a cinema but not in my time.
I think that shot was in the 60s, the girl was wearing quite a short skirt possibly 64ish wheb mini-skirts were fashionable.
Both the surgery and neighbouring shop looked very smart.
(I did not look carefully but I did not think the railtrack was there. . When was that removed
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  16:49:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little I know about Charlie King is that he was manager/sec of the Medical aid society. His wife was Laura ( nee Adams) they had two children Phillip and June. June married Dr Phillip Rolands. Phillip died some years ago. June is living in Worcestershire, I believe; her age about 88.

Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  17:32:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ike. I never cease to be amazed at the extent of the knowledge shared on these forums. Thankfully, all these memories are being recorded. Your reply could be a godsend to someone doing research into family history.

Edited by - nutandboltdarlo on 01/11/2020 17:35:22
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  19:21:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ike, Thanks for that.
I was pretty certain that Mr King was June's dad.
I have just had a cup of tea with a Pengam chap who knew Philip quite well. I know that he was a doctor who served in the RAF.
I was at school with June, You are right about her age.
I did not know her brother but they lived in Inkerman Tce so I may have known him by sight
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  20:22:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correcting and up dating on Charlie King. Philip King became a teacher at a school in Hereford. he and is wife played an active part in the cathedral showing visitors around etc. He died about 2 years ago, age 90/91 . June is living in Rochdale , Lancashire.

Milkman, regarding the Track passing the Park place surgery ; I would guess around 1960-61 when Ty-Trist Colliery closed. The track was no longer required to take spoils to Brompton tip.

Go to Top of Page

billbaily

945 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  09:32:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the Brompton tip you referred to eventually grassed over you could still feel the heat coming through the soil. If you placed your hand on the ground it was very hot, it still had smouldering layers underneath it. This would have been in the 1960's and near to the homes at Bedwellty Gardens today. Also I do recall a stream coming down from there running into the River Sirhowy, and because the water was very warm, water cress grew here in abundance.
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  11:09:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the tip behind the 2 houses next to Stephen’s garage on the main road burning for months. The fire brigade were there for weeks spraying it
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  15:59:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exbrompton you are correct, I think some people get mixed up, or do not know which tip was which. You and I both know that the tip below Brompton was used mainly for household refuse,and some coal waste, this stood on the east side of the river. The fire below ground was on the west side of the river, caused by the waste from the old iron works. This was in the fifties, we used to watch the firemen trying to dampdown the underground fire, but it took up to much time, so they employed several pumps and used the river water to flow into the holes that were drilled there. The pumping went on for weeks, until the burning was eventually doused, the two houses were very lucky to escape, as exprompton said, Stephens bus garage was right on the edge of disaster. For those of you who walk down the line from Heathfield, there are still huge lumps of shiny slag and coal shale to be seen on the river banks. Just for the record, it was the peat that caught fire and spread underground. Any corrections will be welcome.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  17:43:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a snap shot showing Aneurin Bevan walking along Whitworth terrace with Archie Lush and one other person. Do any one recognise the other person. I was sent an Email photo of Aneurin Bevan at the top of incline path leading from Woodfield Rd to Whitworth Terr, it was taken of IPlayer 'who do you think you are' Do any one know how this is done? I am given to understand that I Player is played on the computer and paused as required.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.