Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddraig

United Kingdom
1663 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  12:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thousands stolen from elderly residents in fake police officer courier scam

The police will never call you asking for money, this is the message detectives are urging residents to share with your loved ones following a number of scams in Gwent.

We're investigating a number of scams reported this week where fraudsters have claimed to be police officers in order to obtain money.

An elderly couple from Newport had more than £26,000 stolen and an 88-year-old woman from Monmouthshire had more than £14,000 stolen this week by scammers.

On these occasions the fraudsters claimed to be police officers from Hertfordshire Police and the National Crime Agency.

This is a national courier fraud scam where criminals have used a number of different strategies including claiming there is fraudulent activity on the victims’ bank accounts and to unfreeze their accounts they would have to transfer money or withdraw money.

Often in these scams, another fraudster pretending to be a police officer will collect the cash from the victims’ homes for them to ‘keep safe’. Fraudsters also ask victims not to tell family or their banks what the money is for due to the ‘undercover investigation’.

Victims have also been asked to ring 999 or 101 to check the ‘legitimacy of the call’ however, because the criminal keeps the phone line open, the call is again answered by a fraudulent accomplice.

Detective Inspector Louise Cruci said: “I cannot stress enough how sophisticated and well-rehearsed these scammers are. Our message is clear – the police, government agencies or banks will never ask you to disclose personal information, bank details or demand payments.

“I would urge all residents to share this message and raise awareness of this scam in particular with elderly relatives or more vulnerable members of the community.

"Officers have been working with local banks and the local authority to raise awareness of this scam and to report any suspicious activity.

“If you receive any calls of this nature – they are a scam- please hang up and call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.”

butch

United Kingdom
1890 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  16:04:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing this shameless scam Ddraig. The name I give these scammers is unprintable, preying on the elderly and vulnerable folk is unforgivable, I hope they are caught, and get they're just deserts.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

432 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  16:29:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv had a few calls this week from different numbers that are not stored in my phone so I don’t answer them as I always think the worse because of the many scams doing the rounds .It disgusting what these people do I would realy like to see them Caught and brought to justice . It makes you wonder how low these people are surely they have elderly relatives .

Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
515 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  16:40:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused with the above quote. It says the scammers tell the victim to check 999 or 101 but they keep the line open so the scammer is still on the line.........Then at the bottom it says to ring 999 or 101 if you get one of these calls?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1598 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  16:41:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of these scams are from abroad although sometimes from foreigners living in UK.
I have checkedd the number of origin occasionally and find it is a UK number except that they are not in the UK. They appear to be able to pigaback on a UK number.
As mentioned do not ever answer the phone or an email if not from someone you know. In particular do not give any numbers or even family data.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  20:48:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy

I'm a bit confused with the above quote. It says the scammers tell the victim to check 999 or 101 but they keep the line open so the scammer is still on the line.........Then at the bottom it says to ring 999 or 101 if you get one of these calls?

If possible, call 999 or 101 from a different phone - so if the scammer called on your landline, use a mobile to make the 999 etc. call. I appreciate that may not be possible for everybody but I think most people would be able to do that these days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.