Gardeners Corner
 Apple tree advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

1248 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2021 :  07:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Approximately 6 years ago I planted an apple pip and itís grown into a tree and is 5 foot tall now. It hasnít produced any fruit to date. I was wondering if anyone has done this theirselves and what the outcome was thanks

ddraig

United Kingdom
1693 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2021 :  10:54:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago my next-door neighbours grew an apple tree from a pip (actually from the core thrown down the garden by one of the children) it grew to a good height but only produced crab apples, I think it may take between six and ten years for your apple tree to fruit and it will be a guess as to what apples it will produce
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1248 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2021 :  16:15:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the infor I don't expect they'll be as nice as the Gala apple they came from. I think crab apples are edible but you are not to eat the core or the seeds.

Edited by - billbaily on 17/07/2021 16:20:45
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1693 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2021 :  00:17:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A relative of mine has a large crab apple tree that overhangs the garden they are very small and very bitter, best for jam making
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2021 :  11:39:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apples need an compatible pollinator .Some are self pollinating.Best advice wait and see
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1248 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2021 :  11:54:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice all, I have two other apple trees about a foot high from pips too, so it will be interesting to see them grow. Maybe I'll be supplying supermarkets with jam in the future!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.