Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kingsville

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2022 :  00:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My second greatgrandfather lived at
50 Cwmrhos, Tredegar,Bedwelty parish.
This would have been mid 1800's. I know it is a long shot, but would still exist.

butch

United Kingdom
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  16:07:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kingsville, parts of Cwmrhos is still there, but nowhere near fifty houses. My thoughts are that it's now called Queen Victoria Street. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I will be corrected.
Go to Top of Page

Kingsville

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  16:33:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The entire family worked in the mines, I would imagine they were dirt poor.
Not suprised there is nothing left. One nice thing Saron Chapel where they were married in the 1840's is still standing.
Thank you for replyinng.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2022 :  20:13:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cwmrhos is adjacent to Park View but has perhaps 10 houses.
Miners worked hard but, for that time, were not thought to be poor. In fact a 15 ton block of coal can be viewed in Bedwellty Park that was hewed for the 1851 exhibition. It was so big that no way could be found of getting it to London.
In fact many gave up working in agriculture because mining paid better,
Cwmrhos is a good street buy the standards of that time, even a front garden.
Go to Top of Page

Kingsville

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2022 :  20:22:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that information. My great grandfather came to the US in 1870 at the age of 17 all alone, I can't imagine the courage that took. He came to Missouri and became a coal miner here. All he ever knew.
Go to Top of Page

evansfam

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2022 :  19:37:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kingsville

My second greatgrandfather lived at
50 Cwmrhos, Tredegar,Bedwelty parish.
This would have been mid 1800's. I know it is a long shot, but would still exist.

I have copy of 1841 census for some/all? of Cwm Rhos Tce showing eight houses with main residents being 1 Jones,2 Williams,1 Evans (my relative),2 with Thomas,and two others with names that looked like Woodsuffer and Aind. Inthese eight houses lived 26 males &24 females.
Go to Top of Page

Kingsville

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2022 :  03:13:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1851 census lists three families on my page Floyds, Williams and lastly my family Henry Ward, wife Margaret and son Hiram.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.