New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2008 :  19:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken during construction in the late 30's early 40's.
Thanks to Tarkus for the great pic.
If anyone has any names, please post!

moody_gaz

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  22:33:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can shed some light on the the two gents standing in the centre of the picture.
The gent holding the brace and bit is my grandfather Thomas Jones, who I think was the caretaker of the calvary chapel for many years and used to preach there also. The young man on his left with the white shirt and black tie is my father Edwin Jones. They lived at 11A Charles St. at the time. I can remember spending a fortnight there every summer holiday during the sixties until his passing in 1972. My father moved to Hartlepool to begin work at the steelworks in the latter half of the 1950s, I was born there in 1958. My eldest brother, David still lives in Cripps Avenue on Cefn Golau. I returned on a visit with my family in 2000 and was dimayed to see how run down it was with the closure of the Coalmines and Ebbw Vale Steelworks, I hope its recovered somewhat since then. It was also sad to see that the council had demolished the terrace of cottages where 11A used to be, not to mention number 7 where Nye Bevan lived!. I have great memories of the neighbors, I used to visit Bryn and Lena Miles, who I think lived at number 5, and remember old Mrs Parfitt who used to run a sweet shop from her front parlour, and Johnny who ran the corner shop at the top end of the terrace. I could go on about the Railway bridge that used to cross Church road at the bottom of Charles st. and waking to the sound of mountain ponies trotting up the street at around 4 or 5 oclock each morning. I think the only thing still standing that I can remember from those days is the coach and horses pub. As an aside, my nan, Gertrude Jones went to school with Nye Bevan, and used to housekeep the surgery of AJ Cronin (of Dr Findlay fame) when he was a GP in Tredegar.
Is the Calvary Chapel still standing, has anyone got any more photos of it, where was/is it exactly?
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  10:16:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello gaz
the fella in the front row kneeling holding a claw hammer is my grandfather
Thomas Vaughn.He preached at calvary chappel.Dont know any of the others except
for my father at the far back (probably trying to sneak off to wally's for a pint).
The chapel is still there its at the end of stockton way opposit the junction with
maple avenue.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  10:51:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted on behalf of Tarkus.

Cheers Mate.

To see more Chruch & Chapel pics, please see here.
Go to Top of Page

moody_gaz

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  18:17:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Tarkus!
The Pic must have been took in the late 1930s as my dad was born in 1920 and he only looks to be in his teens.
I must visit Calvary when I'm next down there later this year or early next!
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  18:55:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome butt
I made a c***k up in my post,its at the end of sycamore avenue not stockton way.
Easy mistake,i only pass it about 3 times a day!

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  20:04:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

PInkLady

3 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  02:48:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to calvary chapel every Sunday from birth as did all my family, I was also born in 1958 and lived in North ave, I can clearly remember doing our whitsunday walks around ashvale my little legs used to be throbbing by the time it ended, and our annual daytrip to Barry Island sitting on the sands sing sunday school songs like "we are climbing jacobs ladder" & "Jesus loves me yes I know!!! Great times
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  14:55:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this mean another church is going to go, or it is next to or close to the church ?

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  16:52:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pastors phone number has been erased from the notice board, so it may well mean the chapel

Go to Top of Page

revdrsc

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  22:31:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so sad, so much of our town's historic buildings are being lost.
Go to Top of Page

Bert

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  04:47:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read somewhere this week a planning application to demolish the chapel and it will be sold off as a "devolopement/building plot"

B Phillips
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  08:59:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bert :-(

Go to Top of Page

zx123

82 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2014 :  19:16:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They always seem to be building new houses on any piece of vacant land in Tredegar. The latest ones are in Charles street where Aneurin Bevan used to live. They put all these houses up very quickly and they don't look very stable.
Go to Top of Page

JulesDrup

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2020 :  21:00:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Nan lived on North Avenue and when I stayed with her which was for weeks at a time I went to the Pentecostal Church. My great uncle Stanley Bishop was also a regular member. Everyone was always so warm and welcoming. I really enjoyed going there.
Go to Top of Page

garyw

75 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2020 :  19:25:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi moody gaz
Lena Miles who you used to visit lived in number 4 Charles Street.
She was my fatherís sister.. my father being Edmund Williams.The house was lived in by my grandparents for many years until they died in the mid 1930s.
I too remember popping into the tiny shop in number 8 to buy a few sweets.All a long time ago.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2020 :  20:22:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the second from left on the front row in the top picture was Emlyn Rees. He was one of several brothers (Evan, Ken, Jimmy etc.) and his sister who sang in churches around Tredegar and further afield. A photo of the group appears on p49 of ĎTredegarís Yesterdaysí by W C Smith, and a photo of the whole Rees family is on the following page. Emlyn was pastor at Calvary from the mid-60s.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2020 :  21:18:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canít tell my right from my left. Too much time sitting around on my elbow during this lockdown I fear. I should have said I thought second from right was Emlyn Rees
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.