Posted - 14/04/2008 :  20:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abergavenny Echo 1887
Brecon and Radnor Express 1911-1950
Brecon County Times 1909-1933
Brecon Free Press 1883-1896
Brecon Journal 1855-1868
Brecknock Beacon and General Advertiser 1886-1896
Evening Star Of Gwent 1887-1902
Gwent Gazette 1991-2004 (2005 to date in newspaper format)
Merthyr Express Iron And Coal District 1909-1950
Merthyr West Mon Ed 1892-1950
Merthyr Express Rhymney Valleys Ed 1907-1950
Monmouthshire Chronicle and General Commercial Advertiser 1865
Monmouthshire County Times 1905
Monmouthshire Merlin 1830-1891
Monmouthshire Valleys Reporter 1874
South Wales Argus 1892-1949
Tredegar Guardian and West Monmouthshire Advertiser 1886-1887
Tredegar Times and General Advertiser 1869-1884 (1873 incomplete)
Weekly News and General Advertiser 1878-1884
South Wales Echo 1976-1985 in bound volumes.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2008 :  20:58:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Cae :o)

www.Bath-in-a-field.co.uk

"I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk - alcoholics go to meetings"
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  19:27:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I'll definitely pop in a take a gander at that. Do you have to book a reading or can you walk in at anytime?
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2341 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  21:34:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well- we always book first just in case someone is using the machine. Janet is very helpful and will show you how to look at the fiche if you haven't used that before. I must admit the old adverts in the papers fascinate me- some are really corny now but really interesting!

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  23:06:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go Morris, would you keep a look out for the articles "Peeps into the Past " by Henry Lewis for me please. Summer of 1926 don't know which paper though. Be lovely if they could be located.
Thanks Val

Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  00:56:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone should be going in the near future, I have a small request. I'm chasing an obit Nov/Dec 1917 Merthyr Express Rhymney Valley edition. Obit for Price, Morgan Rees. He died 10/11/1917 in Flanders. The family lived in Pontlottyn. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  22:02:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he was in the Forces and you want to find out what happened to him in WW1, you could trace him through the War Graves Commission. If you have basic information like his regiment, service number, date he was killed etc. it's amazing how quickly the information pops up.

www.cwgc.org Simply his name would be sufficient.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  22:32:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titch, thats a great link, a bit spooky to see yout own name on the site !

Saying that, my grandfathers name is on the war memorial in the park, but he died in 1982 !
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  00:40:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great organisation, I rang them at 9am one morning enquiring about my Great Uncle who was killed in Ypres in 1917. I had his service number and his regiment (The South Wales Borderers)date when he was killed etc. I have a photo of his temporary grave so there was quite a lot of info on the wooden cross. By 10 past nine, I had a fax in my posession in Belfast with the details of his grave number, a map of how to get to the cemetery from Ypres and a plan of the graveyard with the exact location of the grave idientified. My wife and I visited the grave last autumn, my Grandmother and Great Grandmother had always talked about him, he was supposed to have been a very nice guy and worked as a postman in Tredegar. We were the first members of the family to have visited his grave so I felt very humble and emotional as it brought back so many memories of my Great Grandmother and Grandmother.I would advise anyone who has a member of their family who was killed in either wars to visit the grave if they can. A trip to Belgium Ypres/Passiondale etc and the Somme is well worth it. I found the whole experience of visiting various museums and the awasome graveyards (which are kept in immaculate condition) in and around the battlefields to be facinating. It made me realise what our troops went through and how much a waste of young lives it was. A visit I will never forget. I have photo's newspaper cuttings and the bronze plaque that my Great Grandmother received, together with a letter from his Padre to my Great Grandmother, and some letter Ivor wrote to his Sister (my Grandmother). Strangely I feel as if I knew him. Ironically he is buried next to another Tredegar chap apparently they were friends.
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  01:31:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got all the info from CWGC Titch. I just wanted to see what his obit said. Morgan has a plaque at Tyne Cot. I assume he was killed at Ypres/Passchendaele on 10/11/1917. The CWGC just says KIA Flanders. He was a sergeant in SWB. Where's your fellow buried/commemorated?
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
491 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  23:09:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Llanover
His grave is at Bard Cottage Lance Corporal Ivor Morgan 2nd Battallion SWB, he died on the 4th July 1917, it's quite a small cemetery a couple of miles outside Ypres.
We were at Tyne Cot, it's quite a place, one of the biggest if not the biggest of all the Cemeteries. It is beautifully maintained and they have a small museum at it. As you enter they have a section where a photograph appears of one of the soldiers, his name is read out with some details about his age at death, home town etc. It's very moving.
It's a pity I didn't know about your connection, I could have left some flowers or a B Legion Cross and taken a photo of the grave/plaque for you. In each cemetery there is a commemorative book where you can write a message.
I have a cutting of the obit for Ivor somwhere in my files. I'll try and get it over the weekend, as they were killed around about the same time it may give you a lead into what paper to look in.
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  00:52:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a bit of luck, we'll be back in the UK next year and we're hoping to go to the battlefields. It'll depend on how Dad is, he is coming up for 86! Our chap was 1st Battalion.
I went to the D-Day beaches in 2000. I've just realised .....the landings were 64 years ago today.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  07:50:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Titch, thats a great link, a bit spooky to see yout own name on the site !

Saying that, my grandfathers name is on the war memorial in the park, but he died in 1982 !

A spy, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Kingsville

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  17:37:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I live in the US any chance these will ever be available on line?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  19:03:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kingsville

As I live in the US any chance these will ever be available on line?

Hello Kingsville,

Here you go: tredegar.library@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Tell them you we sent by the happy people on the Tredegar Web Site

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2013 :  18:59:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kingsville, there are already some on line - www.llgc.org.uk - there is an ongoing digitalisation by the Welsh Library I think.

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

Sentinel

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  16:44:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llanover

If someone should be going in the near future, I have a small request. I'm chasing an obit Nov/Dec 1917 Merthyr Express Rhymney Valley edition. Obit for Price, Morgan Rees. He died 10/11/1917 in Flanders. The family lived in Pontlottyn. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi Llanover
I have just recently joined Tredegar Forum and I have information on Morgan Rees Price. I have his cap badge also the bronze plaque with his name on which was sent to families who son or husband had been killed, if you receive this ok contact me as I have some other information which might be of use to you.
Sentinel
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2017 :  12:18:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Titch for sending the below.

"100 yrs since Lance Corporal Ivor Morgan was killed in action near Ypres, 4th July 1917, so I marked the occasion by visiting his Grave at Bard Cottage Cemetery Ypres, Belgium, on July 4th, 2017. I scattered a couple of million Welsh and Red poppy seeds at his headstone together with a cross and a framed photo of him. I also made comment in the Cemetery Commemoration book."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.