Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Genealogy
 After a birth, marriage or death certificate ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

also general dates and info

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  01:49:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certificates can be ordered online from the GRO 7quid a pop. They're usually pretty prompt, but after shows like "Who Do You Think You Are", there could be a delay. If you intend to visit local registeries, check exactly what records they hold before you go. I know from experience that records from the Tredegar area are also held at Merthyr and Ystrad Fawr.

Annette
Go to Top of Page

donwy

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:18:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...can you tell me what information would be on the birth certificate? I am searching Jenkins and Hughes (see other message in this forum...thank you
don hughes donwy@aol.com

don hughes
sarasota, florida USA
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  00:41:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The info you will find on a birth cert is:-

Place of birth and date of birth.
Childs name
male or female
name and surname of father
name and surname and maiden name of mother
father's profession
signature, description and residence of informant
when registered
Signature of registrar

Please see this link for all info on birth, marriage and death certs

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births.htm

Val

Edited by - valll on 10/11/2008 00:45:48
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1057 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  01:17:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, have a look at www.rootschat.co.uk An excellent free site with lots of helpful people. There's a board especially for Wales and it's split up into counties.

Annette
Go to Top of Page

LorryM

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:08:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, reading all this information. I'm stumped in the end because I have no idea how to send an Australian Dollar (which is,nt worth much right now) to purchase any documentation.

lorryM

L. Macintyre
Go to Top of Page

rjl

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  22:35:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, reading all this information. I'm stumped in the end because I have no idea how to send an Australian Dollar (which is,nt worth much right now) to purchase any documentation.

lorryM

When I worked at the General Register Office I set up bank accounts with an Australian, Canadian and USA bank so that applicants for certificates from those countries could send cheques in their local currency. I left GRO in 1991 so no idea if those arrangements still exist.
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  06:57:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.gro.gov.co.uk Just tried to acsses this website, no such site??????
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  11:19:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you put in a typo with http://www.gro.gov.co.uk

should have been http://www.gro.gov.uk
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  11:55:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pierre, these ole eyes of mine aint what they used to be.
Go to Top of Page

Janice

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  23:41:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been purchasing Certificates from the GRO for years now - in Canadian Dollars - via Credit Card. e.g. VISA or MasterCard. The online order form will lead you through the process.

And now for something different!! Does anyone have a Marriage date for Abednego Tippins and his wife Ann(e) around 1845? I have their children but no marriage! (Maybe they didn't bother!!) The spelling of his name is different each time I see it - don't think anyone knew how to spell it!

Janice
Go to Top of Page

sueh2

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  23:32:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I regularly purchase certificates from GRO. I'm in Australia. To be honest, its easy. You set up an account at GRO (which kindly will bring up your postal address on each order).
Costs 9.50 English pounds which on average translates to about $18Au. Pay by credit card or debit card or get a travel card and buy English pounds at the bank in Australia to put on it. Then use it as a credit card.
You get a payment advice emailed to you and the order confirmation listing your order details sent separately.
It all goes through easy and appears in my account at the bank at the same time.
Takes about 10-14 days for the certificate to arrive in Aus.
If there is a problem and the certificate required cannot be found then you get emailed advice and an immediate refund direct to your bank.
Just make sure to check the details requested before submitting your order because once lodged you cannot change them.
Hope that reassures you a little.

S. Howard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.