New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  22:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a Tredegar Town Council meeting tonight, well not much going on in telly land on a Thursday night in November....

Now I was at the meeting, and I have recorded what was actually said. If anybody does not like me saying these facts, then I recommend you move to china, where restrictions on free speech may be somewhat to your liking.

I will (try) not to leave any comments either way (well apart in summery), and will only include the names of the chair, and vice chair.

First port of call was the presentation of for the price for the highly controversial Daisy Drop competition (please see http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2029&whichpage=7). Would this re-draw of the raffle happen if letters were not sent to the press (and others) well you decide, then the powers well above Tredegar Town Council will........(more to follow)

The current major did say, and I quote "it did not go 100% to plan" before he handed the cheque to the winner. I did not get the winners name, but she did make a quick get-a-way after she got the cheque......

Next on the agenda was the discussion about the aforementioned complaint received by the council on the conduct of the major, and the daisy drop raffle. The vice chair (hello A.) said, and I quote directly "wanted to discuss it in Private". The clerk said that this was against the law and come up with some long winded statement. This was the queue for another member to come up with an equally long winded get out clause to me that meant the complaint was to be read out at the end of the meeting behind closed doors.

Now I'm a tax-payer, and what message do you think this leaves me with?

Other areas of (very light) interest were:

1. The town Clark reported that, and again, I'm quoting directly because I was in the room "It will cost a lot of money to sing 4 carols, so I told them they got to sing 8".

2. The clerk reported that the clock was still not fixed and more letters were being written to the people who fix our clock. This has been going on for 19 months (http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1173)

3. The carnival for next year was raised.

4. My letter regarding my inquiry into the accounts of the council via the commissioners office and the freedom of information act was read out, but strangely enough the clerk missed the part saying that Tredegar Town Council were being investigated for breaches in the FOI act.

5. Tredegar Town Council are considering getting powers after training to be able to fine anybody dropping litter (not sure what daisy would thing about that..).

6. An alarming amount of talking on garden sheds in the planning section of the meeting. Now remember that Tredegar Town Council cannot reject planning application - I now this because they told me (www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc.)As far as I'm aware (and the same was said by one of the people at the meeting), none of the people in Tredegar Town Council have any experience in planning matters.

7. One person said that "Communities first are taking a lot of project work away from Tredegar Town Council". Are you thinking what I 'm thinking?

8. One person that shall remain nameless come up with a classic quote, and it is one of them occasions where you should use your brain first, then open mouth. The quote was, "The middle of the pitch was like a bog, can we get Blaenau Gwent Council to look at it".
MMMmmm its November, its Tredegar, and itís a field...Your not going to find sand....

classic

9. Talk of applications for funding. A few £150 and £200 were handed out, but no information given by the Clerk on how much (a running total if you like) they have given to groups in Tredegar this year so how they scan come up with these amounts off the top of there heads does amuse me.

Then we were asked to leave (and to be complete honest, I was glad).

Then I had great fun when the two other members in the public gallery that had to leave (attempted) to start an argument with the gentleman I was with. I was informed by the two that they wanted to become councilors of Tredegar Town and they turn up for every meeting (they need to get a sky+ box in...). Very loud, and great entertainment ....

I butted in after a few minutes after smiling to myself and asked if they knew how much Tredegar Town Council receives for the Council Tax payers of the town, and they did not answer.

Then a few minutes after when I then asked did they know how much they give away in percentage terms to groups in the town, they did not answer.

So did they know any of the main facts ? MMMmmm nope.

It kind of summed up the evening for me really. Itís all about getting value for money in my eyes, like you should get from anywhere.

Sure, Tredegar Town Councilors do not receive any money for what they do personally, but it does cost the tax payers of the town over £120,000 a year, and less then 10% of this money is given back to groups in the town. If you or any organisation takes money in the form of taxation, you need to show deliverables...

If you were going to plan the council landscape of Tredegar now in the 21st Century from scratch, would you have an extra layer such as Tredegar Town Council?

The out burst of the two people after the meeting (funny as it was) misses out this point completely. Do they consider that Tredegar has the HIGHEST COUNCIL TAX IN WALES because of the Town Council, and what about Ebbw-Vale, they have no separate town council and they seam to do a lot better then we do in Tredegar? Am I right or wrong ?

Still, quite an entertaining evening looking how Tredegar Town Council works (apart from where you, as the public in the town in which they serve you) ask you to leaveÖ.

Not even any biscuits given out - maybe they were opened after the shut the door on us

please see www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc for more details.

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  00:11:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

I went to a Tredegar Town Council meeting tonight, well not much going on in telly land on a Thursday night in November....

5. Tredegar Town Council are considering getting powers after training to be able to fine anybody dropping litter (not sure what daisy would thing about that..).

will someone be employed to go out in a uniform and issue littering tickets? where will the money come from? or will the town clerk and councillors be doing it?
is there already an anti littering element in our council tax paid to BG? if tredegar does its own will BG also do it or will we pay for the BG anti littering and have no service from them?

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:49:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

9. Talk of applications for funding. A few £150 and £200 were handed out, but no information given by the Clerk on how much (a running total if you like) they have given to groups in Tredegar this year so how they scan come up with these amounts off the top of there heads does amuse me.

Allow me to furnish the Clerk with the relevent information...

TTC - Grants paid out April 2008 to July 2008

Churches & Chapels:-

Trinity Spiritualist Church £150.00

Cultural & Sporting; Section 137:-

Blaenau Gwent C.A.B. £250.00

Blaenau Gwent Otters Swimming Club £150.00

Catapult £200.00

Cefn Golau Junior Angling Club £150.00

Cefn Golau Tenants/Residents Association £200.00

Childline Cymru £50.00

Cylch Meithrin ABC Playgroup £200.00

Gwent Valleys Sports Club for the Disabled £150.00

Heads of the Valleys Gateway Club £200.00

Heritage Forum £200.00

Quiz Wizards £100.00

Speak Easy £50.00

St. Georges Church (Fun Day) £200.00

Stocktonville Senior Citizens Association £200.00

Tredegar Community Archive Group £200.00

Tredegar Cricket Club £150.00

Tredegar (Mon) & District Canine Society £200.00

Tredegar Youth Cafe £200.00

Vale View Allotments £200.00

Tredegar Ironsides RFC £150.00

Tredegar Cricket Club Juniors £150.00

Tredegar Gardeners Club £200.00

Tredegar Thespians Players £200.00

Tredegar Town Band £200.00

Visually Impaired Association £200.00

Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:25:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting comments about the meeting. Did anyone notice in the minutes of 17th Sept meeting when Peacehaven development was brought up, a certain town mayor declared an inetrest.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  13:55:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it say that any objections were raised on the matter by the Town Council?
Go to Top of Page

sarand

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  23:26:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi miss kizzy,
just interested, could you please explain in what capacity were the town council discussing the peacehaven development and in what way did "YOURS TRULY MR JOHN MORGAN HIMSELF" declare an interest in the peacehaven development?
regards.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  02:26:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTC Minutes from September 17th...
Source - Tredegar Town Council

Go to Top of Page

sarand

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  08:21:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks aussie welshman,
strange one that, how "YOURS TRULY JOHN MORGAN" has declared an interest in the peacehaven development, and heres why. when myself and my good lady confronted "YOURS TRULY JOHN MORGAN" on election day this year, and questioned him about his involvment in the peacehaven development, he swore blind that he had "NO INVOLVMENT" in the peacehaven development.
i think i smell a rat here.
(its very unlikely that i will smell any cow dung!)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  18:02:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reading the minutes from September, seen the following line..

"The application of the Clerk for a further extension of his employment until September 2009 was not approved. The matter was deferred until a further meeting of the staffing and Finance Sub-Committe in October 2008".

Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:30:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well Sarand, i think those words will be our mayors last words "NO INVOLVMENT." I think our mayor should read the merchant of venice, remember what happened to SHYLOCK.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.