Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Tredegar Town Council
 Staffing costs of Tredegar Town Council.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using some of the information we retrieved from Tredegar Town Council via the freedom of Information act, along with direct involvement of the Information Commissioners office (who are still investigating), we have some alarming figures to reveal regarding the staffing costs of the council during the last 6 years.

These figures were produced by the Town council themselves.

The "staff costs" of the Town Council has increased over 170% in the last 6 years.

Remember, all income that the council receives, is from the Council Tax Payers of Tredegar.

Maybe after looking at the graph below, I can understand why this information was not released when I first requested it several months ago.

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  17:54:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to know What the council staff are doing for there money? deff not soughting the local problems out.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  18:30:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woolfy, the graph does not include "expenses", that goes on top of these figures....

Some years have seen over 30% increase year on year.....

Now the point is, and this is official, Tredegar has the highest council tax in Wales. So you can live down the Bay in Cardiff, and pay less then you do living in Tredegar.

A percentage of your monthly Council Tax goes to Tredegar Town council each month. Each year they get together and decide what "increase" you will pay to them.

Now look again at the increase in the staffing costs, and ask yourself what extra work has been carried out by Tredegar Town Council over the last 6 years that warrants an increase of 170% or almost 40,000?

Remember, these are figures issued (some might say under Duress) by Tredegar Town Council.

More information to follow..........
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  23:12:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have re-visited the funding that Tredegar Town Council received from the tax payers of the town since 2001. The information was obtained from actual Council Tax demands.

Since 2001 to 2007, the increase in the bit of your Council Tax bill that Tredegar Town Council gets (to do things as pay wages, please see above), has risen by, wait for it ..

An amazing 119.5 % !

Last year alone when Blaenau Gwent Council had a 3.5% increase in Council Tax (the same as inflation), Tredegar Town Council imposed a 9.4% raise on the council tax payers of the town..... The same year the "staff Costs" went up 8%

Well, the massive "staff cost" hike has to be paid somehow !
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  07:30:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6320475.stm

Help us make the news

Do you have a comment or news story?

Have you got a tip off, or even pictures or video that tells a story? If so, the BBC Wales News website wants to hear from you. Read below to find out how to get in touch.

HOW TO CONTACT US

You can contact the news desk directly:
Tel: 02920 323 255
E-mail: newsonline.wales@bbc.co.uk

Alternatively, use the form on the right to get in touch.

YOUR STORIES

Is there a news story you feel BBC Wales is not covering? Is there a particular issue you feel passionate about? This is your chance to tell us about it.

YOUR PICTURES

If you capture an unfolding event in Wales on camera or mobile phone, either as a photograph or video, then please send it to the BBC Wales News website.

Send pictures or video to: yourpics@bbc.co.uk

Please do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

Just a thought ;)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  08:35:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought taken ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
872 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  09:25:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn! I knew I was searching for the wrong kind of jobs
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  07:47:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, any news on this? Get in touch with the BBC after?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  20:49:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Woolfy,

Compiling a few more bits of information first before we "send it on".....

I bet they don't put up the "staff costs" by 30% this year, or give us a nice 9% increase in their Council Tax element now that the world knows what outrageous increasing they have been giving themselves over the last 6 years, and making us pay for!

Shame the Town Council members who visit this site (and they do, because it was in the minutes of one of their meeting just a few weeks back), do not have the decency (or guts) to stand up and explain their actions, with our money.

Am I wrong ?

Unfortinatly no,.....

Strange mind that in May this year when they were going for our votes for the election, the same people were quick enough to get on this very forum and tell us how good they were, and how bad the other candidates were, but where are they now ?

Chickens, the lot of um !

Yes, we've got all of it recorded.....

"Support Our Own Town council" they said!

Aye, by over 170% increase in staffing costs over 6 years, and an increase in Council Tax paid to them up by 119% in the same 6 years !

and remember, thats their figures, released by them !

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  16:29:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tredegar town council are voluntry workers.
they are not paid and they donate their time to tredegar free of charge!
so maybe more information is required before opinions are cast.

also, rates are in relation to the population so again i think more information and facts are required before opinions are formed.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  16:33:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am not suggesting that the labour govenment at present are perfect but if Labour are not in then it will be a tory majority.
they have already admitted, that if they are in power then the old gae will not get any help for their winter fuel, childrens support money will be deleted so there will be no child support. the tory governement will not even have Wales on the map if they had their way!
voting independant or any other party which are in the majority will not make it in the bigger picture.

Labour are not perfect but they are deff the bettre of 2 evils :-)

thank about it
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  17:14:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tredegar town council are voluntry workers.

No. The staff that work there are paid. The increase in staffing costs to us (Tax payers of the town) has been %141 in six years.

The people that are not paid spend the money they they receive from the Council tax payers of the town. That amount has risen by over %93 in just one year in the past, and indeed by 5% this very year when we are in the biggest depression since the war......

All this information was gained via the freedom of information act. Their figures, not ours.

quote:
so maybe more information is required before opinions are cast.

Please goto www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc

all the info you will need, mostly written by the Council in question....

People make their own mind up, but when most of the statments are written by the Coucnil in question themselves, it leaves little to consider in my view.........

I thought about it ;-)
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  11:35:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Are you personally into politics yourself?

have you rasied your thoughts and concerns in the relecvant areas where your opinion will be taken on board or have you just viewed them on here where nothing formally will be done.
I recommend you so as i found it very usefull and this is how i became involved with politics and have seen a completly different side.

i ahve changed my opinion in regrads to local politics

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:06:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
are you personally into politics yourself?

Nope.

quote:
have you rasied your thoughts and concerns in the relecvant areas where your opinion will be taken on board

Yes quite a few places, got some good positive feedback.

Where in your experiance would you raise the thoughts, and documantation may I ask ?

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:14:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if we become interested in politics do we have to supply our own trough, or can we claim it on expenses?

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:16:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claim it all the others do after all isnt that what we pay our tax for to help the rich get richer?
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  09:30:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every single one of them are in it to get every penny they can get out of us poor working class people! They certainly aint there to represent us!
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  14:07:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Councillors MPs means greed greed greed and what do any of them do for us??? nothing Just look at what that councillor that used to be on here has done for Queen Street ------ still the litter still the mud grass verges still the parking on the pavements still the off road bikes (police doing nothing about that to) still the drunks.

Yep they sure work hard fiddling the books for themself and not for us.

Yep im still a very very grumpy old man.. the GOM strikes again.
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  14:49:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

Councillors MPs means greed greed greed and what do any of them do for us??? nothing Just look at what that councillor that used to be on here has done for Queen Street ------ still the litter still the mud grass verges still the parking on the pavements still the off road bikes (police doing nothing about that to) still the drunks.

Yep they sure work hard fiddling the books for themself and not for us.

Yep im still a very very grumpy old man.. the GOM strikes again.

Sooooooooooooo glad i aint the only grumpy ole man when it comes to this subject!!!!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  15:17:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont beleive Tredegar town Councillors are into politics for themselves,
they dont get paid or they dont get any expensives.
bougher councillors might but Tredegar Town councillors dont so they aint in it for themselves because they dont get any thing.

the coumcill and police are doing somehting about litter and other items such as dog mess.
there is a new thing implimntetd to fine on the spot people who dont clean up their dogs foul in public places.
police are constantly up Trefil undercovere and in uniform constantly pulling up off road bikes who are goign through the village.
more people now are in court for public missbehaving than in 2007, this is empowered by the police.

so you not see any of the good things whch are implimntede and which is being dne or do you just constnatly pick up on the bad things and the things which do go wrong becasue at the end of the day we are all human.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  16:15:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by forgetmenot

i dont beleive Tredegar town Councillors are into politics for themselves,
they dont get paid or they dont get any expensives.
bougher councillors might but Tredegar Town councillors dont so they aint in it for themselves because they dont get any thing.

it is a stepping stone to being a BG councillor, the world of payment and expenses and of course planning.

and of course useful if you are involved in any taxpayer funded social enterprises, where you can put down that (your mates) TTC support your application for lots of grant money.

quote:

the coumcill and police are doing somehting about litter and other items such as dog mess.
there is a new thing implimntetd to fine on the spot people who dont clean up their dogs foul in public places.

wasn't the dog foulng law made in 1996? waiting 13 years until they can do on the spot fines seems to be not doing their duty rather than doing a good job.

quote:

police are constantly up Trefil undercovere and in uniform constantly pulling up off road bikes who are goign through the village.
more people now are in court for public missbehaving than in 2007, this is empowered by the police.

it would be nice if the police went elsewhere in tredegar to catch the other offroaders.
they have had powers to stop ilegal offroaders for a few years, so why take until now, given there have been lots of complaints going back years.

quote:

so you not see any of the good things whch are implimntede and which is being dne or do you just constnatly pick up on the bad things and the things which do go wrong becasue at the end of the day we are all human.

you've pointed out a couple of recent good things. why hasn't anything been done before? and when are the rest of the problems going to be tackled? when is anti social behaviour going to be dealt with? top of the list at most PACT meetings.

regards

sean

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  17:56:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Sean I second your comments.

IF forgetmenot took the time to scroll back a few years on here they would find the same complaints have been posted for 4/5 years and still nothing has been done.

I dilike dog litter but at least given a good rain storm its gone unlike the cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, plastic bags, gum.

The councillors drive around with there eyes wide shut just like the police.

One very wound up G.O.M.
Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  19:37:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's the biggest load of tosh Ive ever heard. In it for myself and planning .Yes of course , i live in a rented council house on a local estate for which i work (god knows how many hours) to pay FULL rent and council tax !! I also volunteer for lots of local organizations and not to look good !! as some people kindly say but because i want to help .I,ve have volunteered for over 20 years now and im sure at 14 when volunteering i wasn't thinking about a political career or using it as a stepping stone .

I apply for funding for groups ( over 15 so far this year in my own time,and help out as much as I can with any local initiatives because i love the town and want it to improve , I also however understand the difficulties and the inherited problems that we have to work with.I volunteered before I was a councilor and will continue to do so when whenever I can.

And as for claiming money , Im normally out of pocket when I volunteer, I don't drive but pay for all my own transport and as for tax payers and Social enterprises .I get paid to work for one which has been running in the community for over 14 years and who's volunteers work non stop , and im also a founder of a social enterprise which employs 3 full time staff and 19 part time mainly young people and Ive never made penny from that either.

Surprisingly some people actually do things in life because they want to make a change in their community. I have to say that many of the councilors that i work with of many different parties are exactly the same, and work very hard behind the scenes, but people will obviously only pick up on the bad bits ,what else would we gossip about!!

I would welcome anyone who would like to shadow me for a week , you'd be more than welcome.Im a so proud of all the people in the community that i work with because their the one who make the difference and work hard for the good things that we have , in the last two years alone i have worked with over 60 groups in the community all of whom are making massive changes to peoples lives. they don't by the way get massive wads of money from the council .

The council has a budget which awards yearly grants to sporting organizations and community groups and yes groups im involved with probably do get funding but because of the work their doing not because i work with them and to say any different is to undermine the hard work , time and effort these people are giving. Anyone is welcome to watch council meetings and see what funds are given and to which groups.

This year as mayor im sure I'll get more stick than usual but to be honest i don't care as long as im working to fund raise for worthwhile organizations and holding events and activities that can bring the community together.If i get criticism that's fine as long as its constructive , and not made by people who are doing nothing themselves to make any positive changes in their community .

PS: I am able to organize community litter picks if any one wishes one in their area
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  20:08:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thank you for that Nermal and good for you but as Mayor may I ask why as when you are going around doing your good deads dont you make notes on what is wrong. Then when your chatting to your buddies in the council and to the councillors dont you ask them to see to things that should be put right or is it that as Mayor you havent the time for the general publics problems.

O and It might be of interest to you that both My wife and Myself have worked for (many years) for a local reg charity. but we dont like to brag about it along with the 2 lottery grants we got and many other small grants we managed to get for the charity.

Anyone can just pick up the phone dial 350555 ask for litter picking and it will be seen to. Sadly it should not need to be done.

The G.O.M.

PS am I wrong in thinkimg the post of Mayor gets an alounce?
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  20:38:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nermal

that's the biggest load of tosh Ive ever heard. In it for myself and planning .

misdirection. that was about BG councillors, unless you have ambitions in that direction. are you saying no councillors make money out of council land being available, planning applications and decisions? you can include TTC in that.

quote:

I,ve have volunteered for over 20 years now and im sure at 14 when volunteering i wasn't thinking about a political career or using it as a stepping stone .

misdirection again. i can't see anything criticising volunteering.

i'm glad ypu've made it quite clear you won't be going any further with your political career and you are quite happy as a TTC.

quote:

I apply for funding for groups ( over 15 so far this year in my own time,and help out as much as I can with any local initiatives because i love the town and want it to improve , I also however understand the difficulties and the inherited problems that we have to work with.I volunteered before I was a councilor and will continue to do so when whenever I can.

that's good. is there any advantages to having a councillor who is involved in various social enterprises applying for funding for a group?

quote:

And as for claiming money , Im normally out of pocket when I volunteer, I don't drive but pay for all my own transport and as for

misdirection yet again. good technique in a politician. you really should stand for BG council, or get to be mayor.

quote:

tax payers and Social enterprises .I get paid to work for one which has been running in the community for over 14 years and who's volunteers work non stop , and im also a founder of a social enterprise which employs 3 full time staff and 19 part time mainly young people and Ive never made penny from that either.

that's great. who does get money from those social enterprises? apart from the wages for staff. are the accounts freely available? i'm especially interested in capital purchases and rent.

quote:

Surprisingly some people actually do things in life because they want to make a change in their community. I have to say that many of the councilors that i work with of many different parties are exactly the same, and work very hard behind the scenes, but people will obviously only pick up on the bad bits ,what else would we gossip about!!

many of the councillors eh. do tell who is in it for theirselves because those are the ones we are interested in. i know that some councillors are doing a good job and some are doing the best they can, but it's the others that the community wants to know about.

quote:

I would welcome anyone who would like to shadow me for a week , you'd be more than welcome.Im a so proud of all the people in the community that i work with because their the one who make the difference and work hard for the good things that we have , in the last two years alone i have worked with over 60 groups in the community all of whom are making massive changes to peoples lives. they don't by the way get massive wads of money from the council .

and are you claiming other people don't do unpaid community work or just that you do the most?

something TTC should do is publish a list of these unpaid community workers because i do think they should have their achievements lauded. we do hear about some on here and i'm sure pierre would be happy to provide space for community groups to tell us what they are doing.

does the council have much in the way of grants? doesn't the real money come from the EU and the Assembly?
do you happen to know what funding goes to social enterprises in the area from BG, EU and Assembly?
and who the grant applicants and supporters are? any of them that don't involve any councillors or councils?

quote:

The council has a budget which awards yearly grants to sporting organizations and community groups and yes groups im involved with probably do get funding but because of the work their doing not because i work with them and to say any different is to undermine the hard work , time and effort these people are giving. Anyone is welcome to watch council meetings and see what funds are given and to which groups.

i'm sure no one believes the funding to local groups works that way and i'm sure all the members of TTC declare an interest to make sure the minutes reflect that and to show everyone what a transparent system is in place.

remind me again how much do the groups get per year and how much gets paid in staff costs and office costs?

quote:

This year as mayor im sure I'll get more stick than usual but to be honest i don't care as long as im working to fund raise for worthwhile organizations and holding events and activities that can bring the community together.If i get criticism that's fine as long as its constructive , and not made by people who are doing nothing themselves to make any positive changes in their community .

six degrees of seperation, or maybe much less :)

quote:

PS: I am able to organize community litter picks if any one wishes one in their area

any chance of organising for the people who get paid, by us, to actually do their job of picking up litter. that you see is what is wrong, what is perpetuated by whatever administration is in power in the borough with the support of council officers and fellow travellers of the would be politico persuasion.

regards

sean

Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:07:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Sean you should stand for council yourself or be a development worker even!!

Im not saying I do anymore than anyone else in the community what i am saying was that before I became a councilor everything was hunky dory by becoming a town councilor i haven't changed neither have my morals or values.and if you read my last post you will see that I do find it amazing what people in the community do
And many do much much more than i could ever hope to do, what i am saying is that suddenly everyone is pigeon holed as being dodgy or altruistic if they become a councilor.

As for my political aspirations I'll do what i feel that is right I was elected as a councilor and I do what I can . I certainly don't go around blindly and know how many issues there are i meet with the police on a regular basis and know how hard pressed they are too.
Some people quite often have their own issue that they feel are important and can forget the bigger picture.I know that im working with people who want the same things and by the support I get Im happy that im doing the best job I can. Im happy to be mayor this year and to work with even more groups in the community. I certainly dont think everything is fine and see the town through rose tinted glasses there is lots of work to be done.

As for social enterprises who gets the money ? well a social enterprise is a non for profit organization which is ideally ( as with the two I work with) created out of evidence of need if they are true grassroots community enterprises, therefore its pretty much as it says on the box, no one makes a personal profit ,only wages allowed.Wages are another matter as it isn't as easy to get revenue funding maybe one or two years would be funded. Capital grants can be applied for obviously but the aim of all social enterprises is to self sustain , which is why many have sideline activities that double their workload in order to achieve sustainability.So Um i guess the hundreds of people who use the facilities benefit to low cost services knowing the money that gets put in comes back into the economy of the local community.Im sure the books would be freely available to anyone wishing to look at them.

The advantage of me applying for funding for a group is that Im a qualified Development worker and have been for 7 years and am able to fill in quite a good application the groups get letter of support from any organizations they have worked with the last application had over 30 letter of support from local community orgnisations because they al work together and thats brilliant especialy whenit includes local schools and business .

I have studied Culture , Change and Community and I am aware of the issues that have and have remained unresolved no matter what the efforts of people working for years on the situation and its no different in this area than it is in Merthyr or Rhymney or Ebbw Vale, even areas where there are heavily funded government development organizations without a councilor in sight, (but 4 times the budget of a local council) who are not really getting it right.

As for litter yes people are paid to pick up litter but there is always going to be more litter than there are cleaners what with cans bottles etc... I don't think we should do their job for them but as a community if we can see there is a problem surely a pro active approach is better than sitting back and saying its not my job.

I'm sure you'll all disagree more cut and paste no doubt

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.