New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eily
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2005 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I sould post this as so many of our young people seem to have little knowledge of the history of the town - I obviously do not include everyone in this - but as an ex-history teacher I thought that this may be interesting!

BURMA, 1944-45 MAYU TUNNELS

There were only two roads through the Arakan and one had been designed as a railway and ran through a series of tunnels from Maungdaw to Buthidaung on the Mayu River. The Japanese were in control of this road and so could pass men and supplies quickly from one side of the Mayu hills to the other. The battalion arrived in the area on 20th March and its first objective was the capture of the two tunnels used by the Japanese for storage and gun emplacements. The enemy were subjected to three days of shelling and dive bombing and then 'B' Company began a determined attack, which involved the taking of four enemy positions camouflaged in thick bamboo, which lay one after the other on a spur commanding the approach to the feature over the first tunnel. The battle developed into fierce hand-to-hand fighting, in which 'B' Company pressed on doggedly. Sergeant Woodhouse won a DCM for capturing an enemy post single-handed when its fire decimated his section.

In two and a half hours 'B' Company drove back the enemy and established themselves over the first tunnel. The Japanese however, remained in the tunnel underneath. Meanwhile, 'D' Company attacked a spur on the other side of the tunnel in support but failed to take its objective and suffered a number of casualties. This spur was named 'Tredegar Hill', for most of the men killed came from Tredegar in Monmouthshire. Earth from this hill now stands in a casket in the chambers of the Tredegar Urban District Council.

The next day a Sherman tank was brought up to fire into the mouth of the tunnel. The effect was spectacular - bodies and debris were blown out of the other end of the tunnel and ammunition stored inside exploded and burned for hours. Next day the tunnel was occupied and aptly named '24th Tunnel'. The Japanese abandoned Tredegar Hill without further fighting. For this action, which cost the battalion eleven killed, Major Crew-Read commanding 'B' Company was awarded an MC and an Indian water-carrier who helped evacuate wounded received an MM.

This was taken from a fact sheet of the Borderers Museum in Brecon.
My apologies if this has been covered on the Forum.

Eily
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2005 :  08:52:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I omitted to say theat these were men of the 6th Battalion Sth Wales Borderers.
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  22:52:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appropriate reward this weekend being the 75th Anniversary of Victory in Japan Day.
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2020 :  22:53:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should read “read”
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1569 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  11:02:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the grandmother of a friend had a picture of the cemetery in Burma where her husband was buried hanging on the wall in the living room.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  11:10:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A part of the above is mentioned in "Tredegar's part in the World War". Jimmy Tranter of Iron St was wounded and lying in No Mans Land. Harold Lucas (of Lucas shop in Bridge St) went out to rescue him. They were both killed by a Jap machine gunner.
I knew Lucas shop in Bridge St and Pat Tranter in Iron St. Pat was a very pretty girl who married Paul Weekes, she worked in the Computer Dept in Spencer works. From her age I would think it likely that Jim was her dad.
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  16:32:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another interesting fact added to story. Thank you Milkman.
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2020 :  19:10:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cabinet which houses the casket was made by my father-in-law Horace Clark,who was a carpenter with Dickensens at the time.He also designed the round garden outside Bedwellty House.Anyone remember going there for the opening?
Go to Top of Page

billk
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2020 :  13:54:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are displays and information on the South Wales Borderers activity in Burma at the S W B Museum in Brecon well worth a visit, check opening times
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.