Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  13:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Americans put men on the moon. Tweed jacketed British chaps with pipes in their mouths and pencils behind their ears got together with suave French blokes to build supersonic passenger jets. Further back, the brilliant Isambard Kingdom Brunel (coolest name in history) built the modern world in Britain.

We were promised 500 kph magnet trains.
We were promised hypersonic jets to fly to Australia in a few hours.
We were promised flying cars.
We were promised manned Mars missions and moon colonies.

And all these things CAN be done.

What we’ve got is tulipty buggy software that crash every few minutes and cost gazillions to build.
We’ve got banks that have lost all the (our) money.
We’ve got microwave ovens that leave your food boiling in one place and freezing 1 cm further up.

The future was supposed to be brilliant. It’s crap at the moment. Who ruined the future? How do we take it back and rebuild the dreams?

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1134 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  18:57:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way Pierre, but it's still all about the bottom line.
When the Bransonaires think its worth a punt, it'll happen..........until then

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  23:59:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre,

You having a moan

Things have happened in MY lifetime that leave me speechless
I remember when I first started work I worked as a Comptometer operator. Don't suppose you have even seen one of those ( I still have one ) It was an early adding and calculating machine, wasn't even electric, it was mechanical and when the electric ones came in we thought they were fantastic, so much easier to use, not so much strain on the wrists. Then calculator's were brought out and now we have computers that can do the calculations I had to do in a fraction of the time.
The computers that sent the men to the moon were not as powerful as the home one's we use today.

Re the flying to Oz, I flew to Hong Kong in the 70's and it took 26 hours with 3 stops ,now you can do it in 10 hours with no stops.

Re going to the moon and Mars, who wants to do that

I for one don't think we are doing too badly as I think the progress in the last 100 years or so has been the fastest in history.

There are still things that could be improved, but when hasn't there ?
Things will never be perfect but we are not doing too badly.

I nearly forgot the flying car, what about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

P.S sent you pic so you can see a comptometer. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptometer
and if you are really interested read the manual http://www.ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/Comptometer-instructions.html

Val

Go to Top of Page

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  08:05:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Val. In my life time I've gone from a Spectrum 48K+ playing Jetpack and Daley Thompson's Decathlon and thinking the graphics were awesome, to the likes of an xBox 360 or PS3 and the graphics now! Or how state of the art a Walkman was in the early 80's with an album on a cassette tape and limited battery life to now with an MP3 player that'll fit in your pocket, hold many thousands of songs and have 15hrs+ battery life.

Even cars have improved dramatically both in terms of performance (better brakes, power steering) and fuel economy as well as comfort - electric windows, aircon, heated seats etc.

Home improvements - central heating, double glazing, satellite TV, HiDef TV, dishwashers, powerful vacuum cleaners etc.

When I think of what I now take for granted that I couldn't have even imagined when I was a child (and I'm only 36 now ;)) the developments have been massive.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  08:26:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent in by Forum Regular, Valll.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  19:58:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 hours to Oz, MMmmmmmmm. What rocket was you on Vall :o)

In the 70's we had the start of supersonic travel with Concorde, but that time has now ended and todays planes are slower.......but the sick bag are the same mind :o)

Sure, some things are better, faster, but not what they should be. For example, computers might have gotten smaller and faster but remember that the technology had in the 60's was equivalent only to today's kitchen appliances. More use of every k in the programming meant better, tighter computer programs.....

For the lovely picture of the comptometer, now that is a classic example. How many times did it go wrong, Crash, or loose data ?

Many of todays new technology comes from the 60's and 70's...

Right now we got more consumer greed & more people starving to death AND family fortunes in back on UK Gold......

..and our survey said..... BEEP

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  21:50:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
10 hours to Oz, MMmmmmmmm. What rocket was you on Vall :o)

Didn't read it right did you I said you can get to Hong Kong now in 10 hours Not 26hrs like it took in the 70's.
Re the comptometer it only crashed when I made a mistake, although I remember making it go wrong a few times to see the dishy repair man that called when it did

Yes Samstan, I totally agree. When I married first in the 60's, I didn't have a washing machine or a fridge. My Mother in law had both, and to have ice in a drink was fantastic. Something that today's kids see as normal !!! Things like that get overlooked and get taken for granted.

My mum had a black and white telly in the kitchen and my grandaughter who was about 9 at the time ( she'e 20 this year )rushed into her to tell her that there was something wrong as it had no colour !!!

I could go on about all the improvements but would probably get slatted by all the men on the forum, who will stick together. It's the them against us syndrome

My hubby is the worst, new tecnology, he's there !! boys and their toys eh.............

Val

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1134 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  23:08:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa Whoa Valll! This isn't a sex thing. Calm yourself girl.

Seems to me we have lost anything that doesn't make a buck and that's sad, but it's economics. The Americans only went to the Moon to beat the Russians not for any philanthropic betterment of mankind trip. Trouble with getting to places too fast is the boss just makes you work more or expects you back earlier. Plus we can't travel to Mars 'cos we don't have the technology to do it safely.
However as you say we have come a long way techwise. Smallpox eradicated, being able to interweb from your own couch, mobiles, car safety, milliamp trips, 9 million inch plasma tvs, no more Little and Large, Ipods and plenty of Westons Organic Cider etc etc.

Pros and cons, now where's me Westons?

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  23:28:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's here Peregrine

http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/Scrumpy-House/

Val

Edited by - valll on 21/01/2009 23:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1134 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  22:35:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooohh! Marking that one down on my Sat Nav. Essential summer visit.

T. V. M.

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  22:42:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I helped

Val

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  15:28:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was doing National Service in the early 1950's I was in the RAF Pay Accounts Dept. at Little Rissington. Seeing the picture of the adding machine brought back memories, when I sat at a desk for days on end, using the Burroughs Adding Machine. Cogs and levers whirred away when you punched in the details and pulled the handle. The results came out on a paper roll which then had to be checked again against the files.

Happy days.

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  00:33:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bryan,
Burroughs adding machines were diferent beasts to comptometers, they were just for adding. Comptometers were used for all sorts of calculations as well as adding. You had to have training to use them and then had to pass a test to obtain your qualification to say you were a trained operator.

I worked for a while for Alcan Industries at Rogerstone, working out the weights that the lorries could carry, and forgot on one occasion to take the weight of the lorry into consideration. Consequently the lorry went out overloaded. !!! Boy did I get a rocket for that. !! Luckily for me they were checked before leaving, so my mistake was picked up. Well it was one of my first jobs, but it took me a while to live it down. !!!

As you say Happy Days !!!

Val

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  20:40:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See now as I said at the start, What happened to the future?

Below is a picture of my Ronco Batter Tester from 1982. OK, so one company did bring out a tester on the side of their battery's a few years back, but they cost a fortune.... This device thats over 27 years old does the job just great :o)

A a video to bring it all back :o)

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  23:23:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that all you had for Christmas Pierre

Val

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  08:33:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and I had a ball, a stick, and a nice red apple ;-)
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:58:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Battery tester....very posh we used to stick our tongue's on ours

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  22:42:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In My day we didn't have batteries you had to wind them up !!!

Val

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  22:52:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Valll...

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  23:13:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the last time I send YOU a picture

Val

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  23:26:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valll

That's the last time I send YOU a picture

Val

Love ya Val.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  23:30:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, I also got a kite for my 9th birthday.

and I was posh, had the string for it on my 12th birthday :o)
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  07:22:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandpa was talking with his grandson about all the things that we have now that were different when he was younger.
"Let me think" he said. He was born before:

* Television
*Penicillin
*Polio shots
* Frozen food
* Photocopiers
* Contact lenses
*Frisbees

There were no:

~ Credit Cards
~Laser Beams
~ Ball Point Pens

Man had not invented:

# Air Conditioners
# Dishwashers
#Tumble Dryers
# Space ships

He had never heard of:

> FM radios
> Tape Decks
> CDs
> Yoghurt
> Pizza Hut
> McDonalds
> Computers

And how old do you think this man is?
I bet your’e in for a shock!
Are you ready-this granndpa would be>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 59 years old!

Now, I bet that made you think.?????

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  07:58:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction to the Above !

Peniciiin was discovered in 1928 by Fleming
Biro in 1938 by Laszlo

I didn`t want Val climbing all over me
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  09:26:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aussiewelshman

Sent in by Forum Regular, Valll.

I once worked in an office which was shared by the comptometer pool; it was deafening when they did the weekly payroll. It never ceased to amaze me how the operators could press what seemed to be about half a dozen keys simultaneously, and hold a pencil in the same hand! It got a bit quieter when the old mechanical Sumlock machines were replaced by the (then) new-fangled electronc Anitas in the early 1970s. Is it true that it was easier to press the "4" and "5" keys together instead of the "9" key?
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:05:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

For the record, I also got a kite for my 9th birthday.

and I was posh, had the string for it on my 12th birthday :o)

We had kites,got ours free from the GULF garage on the prom,and they came with string

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.