Searching Millard Family Ashvale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  23:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad Clarence and his brother Alan Millard grew up in the last terrace house opposite the pub (Rose and Crown?) where Ashvale meets the Merthyr Road, I have seen another Millard in one of the Tredegar Grammer School Pictures, and would be interested to find out if anyone knew them. His father (my grandfather William, Wife Gertrude) he represented Wales in 1914 as a cross country runner, also was a member of another local running club. If anyone has more information, please let me know !

Many Thanks

Colin Millard

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:18:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was in the Grammar School in the late 40's - early 50's there was a Keith Millard in my class.

Keith went on I think to become a school teacher at Bridgend Girls School I think. I'll have a word with some of my pals re: this.

My friends tell me that he died whilst riding a bicycle down Stable Lane, Tredegar. Apparently he either hit a large stone or pot hole which threw him off his bike.

In my picture of Tredegar Grammar School Keith is sitting on the wall -far right.

There was, and I think still is another Millard Family in Tredegar. Billy Millard and his family used to live in the side of Georgetown Big Hill. I was very friendly with Bill and we used to play a lot of cards together. I was also friendly with Brian Millard, his son, who is about my age - 75/76. I met Brian a few years ago at a Tredegar Grammar School Reunion. He was in Rhyd Hall having a pint.

If you have access to, look up the Millards in Tredegar on line.

Best regards,

Bryan

Edited by - Bryan Rendell on 26/02/2009 09:27:49
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  23:09:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dad worked with Arthur and Les Millard at Markham and Llanover collieries. Les lived in Troed, he used to take Madge up to Abergavenny market on a Tuesday. Arthur was a winder at the pit.
Go to Top of Page

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:29:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your information, I have started to gather information from my elder relatives, to start putting together a tree, I have found my Grandfather lived in Union Street and 13 Earl Street prior to 82 Ashvale, There has been a some information made available to me, so I will be digging through to see what other relatives I can come across. I know several of my relatives are buried at Cefn Golau ?, is anyone aware if burial plot information is available on line ?

Many Thanks

Colin
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:45:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me know if you need any pictures of the street Colin, and I'll see what I can find for you.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  22:01:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pierre I would love a picture of 52 Ashvale, as I remember visiting it several times to see my Gran, and listen to her play the piano in the front room, I have tried to get a fix on it using Google maps but as I rarely ventured down the garden and through the gate I dont recall what was there !
Go to Top of Page

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  22:02:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry 82 Ashvale !
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  22:04:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, I'll see what I can do...

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  23:57:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre

Did you have any joy in photographing the house ?
Let me know if there is a problem

Many Thanks

Colin
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  13:33:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Colin,

Sorry for the delay. Took the picture for you, please see below :o)

I have also sent you the full size picture to your registered e-mail address.

Rgds,

Pierre & Co.

Go to Top of Page

ColinM

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  18:02:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow That's GREAT ! it has been updated since I last saw it, but it is defiantly the place, with many memories

MANY THANKS

Colin
Go to Top of Page

JulesDrup

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2021 :  22:11:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a sweet shop in the middle of that terrace in the early 60's?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  08:40:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry unable to help. The only Millards I knew were Billy and family on Georgetown Big Hill and Keith, who was in my class in the Grammar School many years ago
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  09:37:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew Keith Millard quite well . He lied ion a villa at the bottom of Charles St ,graduated as a teacher but had a fatal accident in Stable Lane.
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  09:45:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JulesDrup

Was there a sweet shop in the middle of that terrace in the early 60's?

In the gap where the two cars are, there was a small corrugated iron structure set back that sold sweets and possibly some basic groceries. It was certainly there in the 1950s and probably later. If you’re thinking of a more substantial type of shop there were a few on the opposite side of the road.

Edited by - nutandboltdarlo on 23/09/2021 09:46:44
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2021 :  17:08:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Keith Millard mentioned was also known as Will (It was his first name). He lived near the bottom of Charles St on the east side.
As stated he died following an accident in Stable Lane.
It was thought that as he sped down the lane there were some lads throwing sticks for conkers. It seemed that one of the sticks went through the front wheel so Will went over the bars, hit his head on the road and that was it.
Whilst he was a qualified teacher he packed it in and spent his latter years essentially as a labourer in the NCB works.
His mum was a Watkins, I knew both Emlyn and Stuart who currently lives near me. Stuart was a civil engineer who did much work overseas.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.