Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  23:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photo of Earl street School c1912 posted by Tom Jones prompted me to look at an old photo that I think is my gran (no inscription) Haven't fully researched this side of the family yet. I find that on 1901 census she is living in 8 Plummers row.

Question :- is it still there if so where is it please
I have studied the old maps and can't see it.

It looks remarkably similar to a child on the photo, but she is older in my photo. I would like to think it is the same person or a member of the family. Probably wishful thinking

Val

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  09:07:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a suggestion here http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=856 that it was somewhere near Cwtch (Coach) Bach.

I can't find it on the online 1878 map, though, nor on my old (pre-bypass) street plan of Tredegar.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  23:45:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I studied the 1878 map but had no idea where to look.

Checked Google earth for Cwtch (Coach) Bach and there is a lot of newish building up there ,so probably long gone, but seems strange if they were registered there in 1901, so must have been built after 1878.

Come on Emrys relying on you again

Val

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  01:01:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Val, the only reference to Plummers Row I have is the one I posted in July of 2006 and which Mike referred to. Have no idea where Oliver Jones obtained his information but it may have been in print rather than on a map.
Incidentally thank you Mike. I recall posting a reference to Plummers Row but couldn't remember when or in what context. Do you have a system for retrieving odd items like this or was it something else in my post that caused you to remember this item ???. Emrys./
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  08:33:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried a couple of searches using Google. The first attempt ("plummers row" tredegar) brought up Vall's original question, plus a few references to a street in the East End of London - coincidentally near Tredegar Square. The second attempt ("plummers row" sirhowy) brought up your original post.

A further couple of searches brought up a tantalising reference to Plumbers Row in "ushlawrcoed" (Uwchlaw y Coed, which would have encompassed Tredegar and Sirhowy) in the 1851 census. http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Abergavenny_Registration_District,_1851_Census_Street_Index_P-S If you sort on "folio" (click the little box next to the column heading) you will find that Plumbers Row and Slow Buildings are on consecutive folios (pages in the census register?) - which suggests to me that they were adjacent.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  02:31:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Mike for that gem of information about Plummers Row. Would never have thought that little item would turn up on Google. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  16:51:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike & Emrys for your interest. Sorry haven't got back before but had family over the bank holiday.

Looks like I am out of luck on Plummers row then I was relying on you Emrys, as the font of all knowledge on Tredegar. ( meant in the nicest possible way )

Maybe there is someone out there who knows
Thanks again.
Val

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  02:10:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Val." The Slow Buildings" are shown on the 1878 map of Tredegar. According to Oliver Jones it was built on the river bank, up river from what was later to become Glanhowy school. It was ready for occupancy in 1796 and quickly followed by Plummers Row, Cwtch Bach, and other buildings built nearby and owned by the Sirhowy Iron Company and rented out for between nine pence and one and threepence per week.Olivers text suggests the Slow Bldgs, Plummers Row and Cwtch Bach were built close to each other and Mike's research also suggests they were adjacent to each other. I suspect you obtained your grandmother's address from the Tredegar census which also tends to support the belief that Plummers Row etc, were on the same side of the river as the Slow Buildings. Had it been on the other side in 1901, (Scwrfa ) it wouldn't have shown up on the Tredegar census but instead on the Llangynidir Parish, ( Breconshire County) as east of the river was so addressed until the county boundaries changed in 1915. The 1878 map shows some attached buildings to the right of the Slow Bldgs but they are not named. These buildings could possibly have been Plummers Row, then in 1878 about eighty years old. If your grandmother's address is shown as number eight ( wouldn't neccesarily mean eight seperate dwellings).what did the census show for others resident in that row.?? If fewer than eight possibly some buildings had been demolished. Might be worth contacting decendants of Plummers Row 1901 residents as photographs of the housing may exist somewhere. I recall visiting a residence in what was known as Coach Bach, (very close to Glanhowy school ) but that was about 65 years ago.The house I visited might have replaced an earlier one as it didn't seem old enough to have been built circa 1796 etc. Wherever Plummers Row was I am confident it was very close to the "Slow buildings".Keep digging and good luck. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  22:32:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Emrys for the information.

Val

Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  17:23:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been sorting through some of my late father's stuff and found a copy of "Tredegar My Town" by W. C. Smith (1st edition 1976).

There are sketch maps at the beginning of the book; interestingly one of them shows the location of Plummers Farm and Plummers Row. I've uploaded a scan to the gallery, and with any luck it will be visible for all soon.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  21:44:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike

Here it is....

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  21:57:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vall,

Thanks to Mike (and Google maps), please see link below of the area marked as Plummers Row is today here.

And this below is what it looks like today, now called Arnold place (Lindsay-gardens NP22 4RP). A very nice bit of town

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  23:43:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike & Pierre,

Many thanks for your interest, knew there would be a reference to it somewhere

The new houses on the site now are to me an indication that there must have been sub-standard houses on the site which were pulled down to make way for the new.

Thanks again for the map, at least I now know which part of town they lived in

Val

Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2011 :  17:30:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Do you think that the name Plummers Farm is because the original farmer was called Plummer. Not sure who on the site, told me that the Plummers came from Somerset originally and I have found Ann Plummer who was my G.G.Grandmother and married to David Hughes.

best wishes Gwen
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2011 :  19:26:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told Fairly recently that theres two homes just above Glanhowy School, That where part of Plummers Row, But I Really Would'nt know if that's True..??
Go to Top of Page

bodi

25 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  17:04:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my grandfather brought up his family in plummers row, just up the road from glanhowy school. after his children left home to work, his wife had a young child around 2or3 years old she left & went to birmingham to live near her other daughters , grandfather was left alone. he was moved into a new council house in griffths gardens under the slum clearence act of the time.that was around 1938
Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  19:02:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I was very interested to see Mike's map and am wondering if, in the top right hand corner where is marked The Graig, would that be GRAIG-Y-NOS? Otherwise known as Scybor Wen/Ysgubor Wen/etc... as if that is the case, the cottages shown on the interactive map would be the birthplace of my Grandma Mary Ann Hughes and I could put it on my list of places to visit when I come over.

Thanks Gwen
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  19:40:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garaboto

Hi All
I was very interested to see Mike's map and am wondering if, in the top right hand corner where is marked The Graig, would that be GRAIG-Y-NOS? Otherwise known as Scybor Wen/Ysgubor Wen/etc... as if that is the case, the cottages shown on the interactive map would be the birthplace of my Grandma Mary Ann Hughes and I could put it on my list of places to visit when I come over.

Thanks Gwen

YsguborWen and GRAIG-Y-NOS are in the Sirhowy Area and would be to the right of Four rows on Mike's Map. If You Use Google Earth You Can Type Graig y nos , Tredegar Into the search engine in the top left it will take you straight to it , Hope this Helps
P.s The houses that are there now are fairly modern
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  21:25:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Old" Craig-Y-Nos cottages were not very far from where the "new" Craig-Y-Nos houses are today . I can remember as a little boy in the 1940's seeing the ruins of the old cottages when we used to play football and cricket nearby the "top pond" at Ysgubor Wen. The ruins today would be situated in the top left-hand corner of the Sirhowy Infants School site recently closed as you approach from the Ladies Row direction. I dont think the ruins are visible anymore.My mother always told me that pigs were kept in the ruins for many years after the cottages ceased to be inhabited.
Also my mother was related to the Hughes family in Sirhowy of which I know of another relative still living close by to Ladies Row and she is Sirhowy born and bred and is now in her late 70's and her father's name was Harold Hughes.

Edited by - Daleks on 07/02/2012 21:32:24
Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  22:23:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Great-Grandfather was called David Hughes and he was an Iron Miner and I think lived in the cottages in the early 1800's. He too was born in Bedwelty around 1821. He married Ann Plummer but I think this could have been a second marriage.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  22:35:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Bedwellty
Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  13:33:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fredd - I'm still a bit confused about Sirhowy and Bedwelty. My Grandmothers birth certificate shows her born in Scybor Wen (which I presume was just a few cottages) Sirhowy (sic) registration district Bedwelty yet on a census return their address is shown as Bedwelty, Sirhowy. Was Sirhowy a hamlet which was part of Bedwelty, or was Bedwelty a hamlet and part of Sirhowy?
To Daleks - would be interested to see if any of your Hughes and mine are from the same family.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:35:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bedwellty is a Small Hamlet in the Sirhowy Valley , Sirhowy Could Be a Small Hamlet in The Bedwellty District So it Could go Either Way Really ?
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  20:42:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most births and deaths in the 20th century in Sirhowy and Tredegar were registered in the Bedwellty Parish Register Office situated firstly in Beaufort Road just above Sirhowy School then it was resited at The Grove, Sirhowy Bridge until it closed recently and then relocated to Bedwellty House in the Park.

quote:
Originally posted by fredd

Bedwellty is a Small Hamlet in the Sirhowy Valley , Sirhowy Could Be a Small Hamlet in The Bedwellty District So it Could go Either Way Really ?

Edited by - Daleks on 20/02/2012 20:44:58
Go to Top of Page

scoobie

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2013 :  21:02:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valli, if you are still interested I can tell you precisely where Plummers row was because my grandparents , Rachel and Watcyn Jones lived there with their family before being rehoused in North Avenue.They were two level cottages situated about 250 yards north of Charles Street.the lane to the houses was located opposite The Coach and Horses pan under the old railway bridge and if you look at the old OS map of the area they are shown between Slow Buildings and OS field no. 204.

anne jones
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2013 :  00:36:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Scoobie will have a look next time I am in the area.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.