pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  19:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody know when it closed, my money is on Mike

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  19:57:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better Still ! What is it used for Now ? It's Obviously well looked aftered.. theres something in my mind that someone told me that it was something to do with Electricity, but i really dont know..!!
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  21:22:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, can't help with the exact year, but all the appliances and firemen (pretty sure they were "firemen" back in those non-PC days) moved to the new fire station in Iron Row when it opened in 1966. I think the old building was used to house a "Green Goddess" for a few years after that.

It was taken over by the Electricity Board, and the electricity substaion previously outside (between the fire station and Saron Chapel) was enlarged and moved inside.

Talking of the old fire station, there used to be a WW2 air raid siren mounted on top of the roof (right above the eaves in the picture). Before the days of bleepers and mobile phones, this was used to summon the part-time firemen to a "shout". Next door's dog would sit down and howl in tune.

In addition to the working engines, they used to have an old open Dennis fire engine there. It was never used, but that didn't stop them cleaning and polishing it until it gleamed.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  21:44:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Is A Lovely Recollection Mike.!!.. I was thinking about that old Air Raid Siren Going off when I was a youngster .... And always remember the dogs joining in with the chorus and being told that hooter nine was going off....!!!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  21:56:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew Mike would not let us down

Looking at the timeline, the history of the Fire service in our town goes something like this:

A fire hose and escape was purchased by the Tredegar Company to help dealing with fires in the town. Link.

A Fire Brigade was now in the town, and the Tredegar Board bought all the men jackets at a cost of 1 each. Link.

A fire station was built in Harcourt Terrace. Link.

A new fire station was built in upper Coronation Street, as well as the DHSS office. Link.

Pierre

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  15:42:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main engine in my youth was a Leyland with sparkling chrome grill.
However, An older engine was still there and was used-
Its name was The David (on a nameplate on side) and it had solid rubber tyres. (That must date it to early 20s or earlier)
I am pretty sure that when Tredegar brigade helped at Blitz fires at Bristol and Swansea that David was sent there.
I feel it was a Thornycroft but am not sure
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:07:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our old dog used to give it some welly aswell,the fire officer was living in our street.You could gaurantee the old fool would be outside his garage door howling when he was trying to get his car out to go on the shout.I think that was when the new station was used aswell

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  17:37:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just sent Pierre two photographs of Tredegar Fire Brigade 1938.

Those of you who have been researching S.L.Filer will see him on bottom row.

A friend of mine - Gethyn Davies' relative, T. Morgan, Secretary bequethed his helmet to Gethyn when he died.

Do anyone recognize any relatives etc?

Perhaps Emrys or Milkman will be able to shed some light on the Brigade in 1938.

I've also been told that Usk Fire Brigade has an old Fire Engine in pristine condition, that they use for displays. Any chance of a photograph Tom?

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  21:02:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The really well polished Leyland of about 1938 had the number EAX 8.
I have seen it at vehicle rallies etc but not for perhaps 15 years.
Has anyone else seen it?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  10:25:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Bryan and Gethyn Davies for the two photo's below.

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  22:45:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous looking Helmets ..!! But It's Hard to imagine Firemen doing their job with Them on their heads, They Certainly look heavy... I also wonderered ?? - If They Where only used for Ceremonies etc .. and I Wondered How Many Have Survived ??
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  15:18:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon Fred,

The Black and White photograph doesn't show the helmet in it's full glory. I wonder if Pierre could put the photograph on in colour?

As a young lad and I'm sure Milkman, who is a few months older than me, will remember the firemen hanging onto the outside of the fire engine as they answered a shout, wringing the bell.

Yes they did wear their helmets.

In the War years 1939 - 1945 the firemen were issued with army style tin hats, as were ther police and ARP members.

They also had a new tender type fire engine which had the pump on the
back
Go to Top of Page

Tredegar man

20 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  21:00:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is now used as a pumping station for the water board, Two pumps, pump fresh treated water fed from nant-y-bwch treatment works to an underground reservoir at the top of cefn golau (behind the top of gainsborough). The water it then gravity fed to the surrounding area, thats why the water pressure at the top of cefn golau is poor. I know this because I worked in there once around 2002 changing the electrical system that controls the pumps.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  21:05:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, as i thought it was to do with electricity ,,maybe their sharing the building..??
Go to Top of Page

Tredegar man

20 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  21:08:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The electricity substation that Mike spoke about earlier could be inside the left hand door, as I have only been in the right hand side, will find out shortly. I also used to work for the electricity board and if there is a substation inside, there will be a small white plate with black writing on the outside, stating the S/S (substation) number and name. I'll have a look next time I pass.

Edited by - Tredegar man on 29/04/2011 21:15:11
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  13:41:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan was right about the later engine. It was a grey Ford, flat fronted van which pulled a mobile Tangye fire pump. Tangye were pump makers at Smethwick (B'ham)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2015 :  14:13:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to fredd for finding this classic

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6208 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2015 :  21:57:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It Looks Like EAX 8 The 1939 Leyland Cub, Tredegar Fire Engine, Is A Survivor, Brilliant !!
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  00:40:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing the photo of the firemen and helmet reminded me of when I was a boy scout at the hostel of the good shepherd .Mr Grazier who lived in Bridge street, used to give us talks on methods of fire fighting and safety precautions etc, he was also the examiner for the scout firemans badge. His helmet was displayed in his front room window.
As I understand it there were only a few firemen full time. The others were volunteers who would attend as the occasion required. Some had jobs that allowed them to attend emergency fires. Danny Rutter was plumber with council water works; often remember him with his motor cycle and side car. Harry Beasley was T.I.C group worker and fire team member. Filer was gasworks manager readily available.The rest are unknown to me.

Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  21:52:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember Bryn Shankland who was a fireman in the old fire station.He lived in High St,had two sons Barry and Peter. Mr Shankland was the secretary of the old Demo in Church St in the 50s.I think I am right in saying that Bryn as my Mam and Dad called him,died while on duty in the office in the fire station. Therefore he had a funeral with his coffin carried on the fire engine. I was in school the day of the funeral,as those days only adults attended.
I am sure that some of the forum members older than me will be able to tell me if this is correct.
MARGARET
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2015 :  11:39:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately both Barrie and Peter,who was 5 when his father died,have passed away .They were both teachers in Cwmbran
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2015 :  12:04:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info about Barrie and Peter,but I am still hoping that someone older than me will have some memories of their dads funeral.It is something I have always spoken about,as I believe it is the only time a fire engine was used to carry a coffin in Tredegar.
MARGARET
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2015 :  13:08:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for this, a copy of the receipt of building the firestation in 1923.

Go to Top of Page

DavdC

2 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2020 :  21:01:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Go to Top of Page

DavdC

2 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2020 :  21:05:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandfather, Henry Orphan Jones appears here listed as Second Officer. He appears in an earlier photo (1918 I think), where hes described as engineer

quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1496 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2020 :  14:21:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Mr Fowler in 2nd row lived in Union St, about 4th house down from top on right. If that is true then his son went from Earl St to Pengam and then studued medicine.
I remember the fire brigade practicing at Park Row pond but more often at Cefn pond. If the hose was allowed any freedom it would snake wildly and could not be caught.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.