Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Tredegar Town Council
 Staffing costs of Tredegar Town Council.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:22:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nermal

I'm sure you'll all disagree...

All generalisations are false, Lady Mayoress.

quote:
more cut and paste no doubt

Clarification please?

Is the Lady Mayoress referring to the few news items that reflect poorly on councils performance?

Or the Freedom Of Information requests?
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  00:11:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Very good Sean you should stand for council yourself or be a development worker even!!

i'm not sure why you say that. what qualities have i shown that would mark me out as a councillor?
as far as development work, i have been involved in european projects and in projects in poor parts of london, where my time has been given for free and the results have been an increase in sustainable wealth for those communities.

quote:

And many do much much more than i could ever hope to do, what i am saying is that suddenly everyone is pigeon holed as being dodgy or altruistic if they become a councilor.

i don't think i have pigeonholed anyone. and to be honest i don't think the other posters believe all councillors and others in politics are on the make. i know of a few who aren't like that and there must be somemore.

quote:

As for my political aspirations I'll do what i feel that is right I

we'll take that as a yes then. whenever anyone in politics expresses no interest in being leader of the party, prime minister, a BG councillor, it is amazing how they are already planning their next move.
say hi to jeremy paxman for me.

quote:

was elected as a councilor and I do what I can . I certainly don't go around blindly and know how many issues there are i meet with the police on a regular basis and know how hard pressed they are too.

i think you must be the only person in tredegar who thinks that. we have PACT meetings to prioritise what we want the police to do, they then dont do it. we look at the crime figures, which are going up.we see the police asking for above inflation increases in their budget.
at your regular meetings can you tell them to start dealing with some of the crime. anti social behaviour, under age drinking, off road motorbikes.

quote:

Some people quite often have their own issue that they feel are important and can forget the bigger picture.I know that im working with people who want the same things and by the support I get Im happy that im doing the best job I can. Im happy to be mayor this year and to work with even more groups in the community. I certainly dont think everything is fine and see the town through rose tinted glasses there is lots of work to be done.

there are lots of people who just want something to be done about the little picture, that affects their immediate lives.
you say there is lots to be done and that you see the bigger picture now you are on TTC, so explain to us what the bigger picture is and can you tell us when the lots to be done is scheduled to be done.

quote:

As for social enterprises who gets the money ? well a social enterprise is a non for profit organization which is ideally ( as with the two I work with) created out of evidence of need if they are true grassroots community enterprises, therefore its pretty much as it says on the box, no one makes a personal profit ,only wages allowed.Wages are another matter as it isn't as easy to get revenue funding maybe one or two years would be funded. Capital grants can be applied for obviously but the aim of all social enterprises is to self sustain , which is why many have sideline activities that double their workload in order to achieve sustainability.So Um i guess the hundreds of people who use the facilities benefit to low cost services knowing the money that gets put in comes back into the economy of the local community.Im sure the books would be freely available to anyone wishing to look at them.

so essentially most of the money goes on your wages and your coworkers wages, plus rent to an agency who's name escapes you, but we might find if we look in the books.

quote:

The advantage of me applying for funding for a group is that Im a qualified Development worker and have been for 7 years and am able to fill in quite a good application the groups get letter of support from any organizations they have worked with the last application had over 30 letter of support from local community orgnisations because they al work together and thats brilliant especialy whenit includes local schools and business .

I have studied Culture , Change and Community and I am aware of the issues that have and have remained unresolved no matter what the efforts of people working for years on the situation and its no different in this area than it is in Merthyr or Rhymney or Ebbw Vale, even areas where there are heavily funded government development organizations without a councilor in sight, (but 4 times the budget of a local council) who are not really getting it right.

you don't need to keep telling us your achievements, there isn't an election for a couple of years.

quote:

As for litter yes people are paid to pick up litter but there is always going to be more litter than there are cleaners what with cans bottles etc... I don't think we should do their job for them but as a community if we can see there is a problem surely a pro active approach is better than sitting back and saying its not my job.

i agree if there is a problem perhaps the community should do something.

TTC = problem. will you help us do something about it?

quote:

I'm sure you'll all disagree more cut and paste no doubt

i'm not too sure what you mean here, perhaps you can clarify. i'm not attempting to distort what you say.

i'm not cutting and pasting anything. your words are your words and mine are mine. it's called quoting.

any chance of answering any of the questions i asked and that you ignored?

did you get some coaching from the town clerk on how to not answer questions? - that's rhetorical, not a real question.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  17:50:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so essentially most of the money goes on your wages and your coworkers wages, plus rent to an agency who's name escapes you, but we might find if we look in the books.

No ,the Social Enterprise I helped create is not rented by from anyone ?? In fact the founder members put their houses up as guarantor because they felt passionately about the need for the youth facilities for young people in the area,the Chapel which is now converted into a four story facility for the whole community and is thriving and contributing to the local economy and not to my wage as I don't work there.Oh and the young people who pay the fees for their classes in dance and drama each week own the building as their fees pay towards the mortgage and they do all their own funding.

The other social enterprise I work for I am the only employee and applied for my own wages. The group have rented the building for 7 years I have been there 8months , so who they rent from is up to them.
But I know that they have been given discounted rent for years as they are a charity, once again the young peoples fees , fund raising and funding ensure the susta,I admire greatly for the work she has done in the town, she is a real example of community spirit and development has has been opening the cafe for young people voluntary for young people for 14 years along with other staff.

you don't need to keep telling us your achievements, there isn't an election for a couple of years.

I'm proud of my achievements and after bringing 2 children up to be good citizens and lovely people, getting myself off income support , through university and in a good job I feel i have a right to and will talk about it as much as I like. And if i can encourage people or help them to do the same if they wish I will. I know the little picture very well.

and I didn't actually canvas at election time as some many or may not notice ,so im hardly about to do it now , people see me as I work in the community and they can vote for me if they think its a worthy job I never knocked a single door, leaflets were put out of all standing and I did the what normally do on a daily basis.

Im a new councilor and don't expect to change the word but i know as well as everyone else what changes need to be made and I'm going to try to make as much difference as i can im not saying I eradicate poverty or create a community free of social deprivation single handedly .But there are some changes that I can make,Im never going to please everyone.

At least all the comments you give give food for thought happy to listen what people really think , and they make me more determined to show what i stand for . Only one thing , I like Jeremy Paxman but it would probably be Dragons Eye Welsh Assembly first.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  18:23:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well well well another self opinionated up and coming (so they think) burocrat no wonder BG and the country are in such a pickle. To many people are full of there own importance. A little bit of power and they think themselves wonderful and better than jo public.

Sick of this kind of behaviour from people in a position that should be helping jo public.

Again I invite you to scroll back 4/5 yrs and see that NOTHING has been done by the council councillors or even the MP to sought out the same old problems and the lawless of some of the people in Tredegar.

No wonder respect for authority is going out the window.

Iím please for you that you have made good for yourself but there is no need to tell the world how wonderful you think you are.

self praise and all that.

YES I am a very G.O.M. (Nice work sean)
Go to Top of Page

kitt knight

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  18:39:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see kitt knight's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been reading the posts for a couple of days now, and I feel that I have to add to the debate

First of all it makes me concerned when I read all the criticism about the council ok so they are bit crap on times( quite often) but as you know councillors change all the time and i have at tleast had some experience of the good they do , but I cant believe how blind people are though, there a so called Community organisations in the town who are having four times the council budget every year and have achieved absolutely nothing but are robbing the local community of funds that could be going straight to community groups in the town , people dont realsie just how much money is being wasted here ,

youíve mentioned them before but havenít looked close enough . It seems every other town knows how bad they are and their reputation everyone that is except Tredegar.

Im shocked reading this site how everyone has not even realized how much your community is losing out and that they are eating up essential funds that could be going to groups within this town. How much funding is coming in through these agencies where there are paid not voluntary workers achieving nothing , everyone moaning about what in the community and there supposed to be here to solve the problem, who monitors them , look aroud at whats been achieved not a lot apart from wages for there staff.

As for the police not doing anything within the town, the pact meetings, which is suppose to be police and communities together, its a same that there are people in the community are not willing to come forward. The police need our help in these matters, one organisation can not do it by themselves we need to band together, we need people in the community to come together instead of thinking that they are grassing people up, the same people who moan about off road bikes and anti social behavior know exactly who are to blame but are not willing to stick their head above the par a pit to be counted and take action these people.

as you said to neral before in his post look at the smaller picture you all need to look at whats happening under your noses and most of the ouncillors are involved in these but you dont see that .

Remember one man can make a differance

kkkkk
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  18:56:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As for the police not doing anything within the town, the pact meetings, which is suppose to be police and communities together, its a same that there are people in the community are not willing to come forward. The police need our help in these matters, one organisation can not do it by themselves we need to band together, we need people in the community to come together instead of thinking that they are grassing people up, the same people who moan about off road bikes and anti social behavior know exactly who are to blame but are not willing to stick their head above the par a pit to be counted and take action these people".

Off road bikes well in many of the cases the POLICE know who they are but have to catch them in the act. By the time one can get a phone call into the call centre and then tell them what is going on then they pass this non important crime on to the local police its now this time next week and they are tucked up in bed like little angeles.

NO we dont know who these people are some of us dont even know the name of the person living next door (and dont want to)

Yep tis the G.O.M. again

together we stand blar blar blar ye in what world?
Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  19:00:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenneth I was joking , I have two children doing exams and friends and family, and my family come first always, I not looking to climb and ladders quite happy as I am thanks.Big headed and self praising as I am lol
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  19:27:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think you need to learn how to quote to make it easier for people to follow. perhaps pierre could set up a test group for people to practice posting in.

quote:

No ,the Social Enterprise I helped create is not rented by from anyone ?? In fact the founder members put their houses up as

like lots of people in the area i think kids r us is a great thing and i give you loads of credit for starting it off. i am happy for my various taxes to go to something like that.
the trouble is you have sidestepped the original questions and misdirected towards something you were involved with that has becone a success. you are not very keen on giving the answers out are you.

quote:

The other social enterprise I work for I am the only employee and applied for my own wages. The group have rented the building for 7 years I have been there 8months , so who they rent from is up to them.
But I know that they have been given discounted rent for years as they are a charity, once again the young peoples fees , fund raising and funding ensure the susta,I admire greatly for the work she has done in the town, she is a real example of community spirit and development has has been opening the cafe for young people voluntary for young people for 14 years along with other staff.

so now we are getting somewhere, although you seem a little pressured typing this section.

you apply for a grant which then pays you to do good deeds. that wasn't too difficult was it.

and we know you help people put in applications for grants, so you can help anyone who wants to get a grant and pay theirselves to do something good for the community. that's great the more people doing that the better. they'll have a job and wages instead of being on the dole. and you've also said there are charities who'll provide space at a cheap rent, so budding social entrepeneurs can get thinking about those grants and the community.
i assume anyone can do this and as a trained development worker you will be glad to help. we don't want it to be some sort of exclusive little club getting all the money and not letting anyone else in. after all soical inclusion is the name of the game.

quote:

I'm proud of my achievements and after bringing 2 children up to be good citizens and lovely people, getting myself off income support , through university and in a good job I feel i have a right to and will talk about it as much as I like.

we all know you are. you might be able to talk about your achievements in other places to distract from questions you have been asked but it is easily shown up here as just trying to avoid the questions.

quote:

and I didn't actually canvas at election time as some many or may not notice ,so im hardly about to do it now , people see me as I work in the community and they can vote for me if they think its a worthy job I never knocked a single door, leaflets were put out of all standing and I did the what normally do on a daily basis.

canvassing now though aren't you.

quote:

Im a new councilor and don't expect to change the word but i know as well as everyone else what changes need to be made and I'm going to try to make as much difference as i can im not saying I eradicate poverty or create a community free of social deprivation single handedly .But there are some changes that I can make,Im never going to please everyone.

you've done well new councillor to mayor in a couple of years. someone at TTC must think well of you.

any chance of making TTC more transparent in its workings? that would be a good change. we all know the problems people have getting information from TTC.

i don't think anyone wants you to eradicate poverty, worthwhile as that would be. you read the forums and you know the issues and you have the power, so why isn't anything being done?
i know about the bigger picture, i think i saw it hanging in bedwellty house one time. are you going to tell us what the bigger picture is as you talked about it?

quote:

At least all the comments you give give food for thought happy to listen what people really think , and they make me more determined to show what i stand for . Only one thing , I like Jeremy Paxman but it would probably be Dragons Eye Welsh Assembly first.

i'm glad you are happy to listen, but what we really want is action.

and at least you are honest enough to at last tell us how politically ambitious you are.

don't forget all the little people back in tredegar when you are famous, especially if any of them need a little favour with grants or planning.

i think there are still a few questions you didn't answer.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

nermal

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  20:03:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea bout the quoting not sure how to do it that would be good thanks.

Slightly wrong Sean not pressured at all if you misunderstand the reasons I do what I do thats ok i forgive you.

I don't get paid to do good deeds, I get paid to do my job which i was advertised and interviewed for a got. As its a project Development Managers job i think that's OK for me to do? reapplied for my own funding so I can get more paid positions in the cafe yes true. Thats my job
I didn't say that their are charities that supply cheap rent I said the rent is given lower because the cafe is a registered charity.Yes I'll happily give advice and help to any local community groups needing help, not a problem to do in my own time although you do also have a Communities First in your area which are there to help too which 5 Development Officers so if your in a rush you might want to go there too.

Nope not Canvasing as I said no intention in standing for Borough or AM for the next 10 or so years too busy !!

Glad to keep the thread going ! but i have work to do now,ironing;)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13780 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  20:41:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hold on, I haven't said anything yet :o)

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  20:48:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good idea bout the quoting not sure how to do it that would be good thanks.

Slightly wrong Sean not pressured at all if you misunderstand the reasons I do what I do thats ok i forgive you.

it was just some of the text was a bit jumbled and difficult to make sense of.

quote:

I don't get paid to do good deeds, I get paid to do my job which i was advertised and interviewed for a got. As its a project Development Managers job i think that's OK for me to do? reapplied for my own funding so I can get more paid positions in the cafe yes true. Thats my job
I didn't say that their are charities that supply cheap rent I said the rent is given lower because the cafe is a registered charity.Yes

so whoever owns the property gives cheaper than market rent to charities?

quote:

I'll happily give advice and help to any local community groups needing help, not a problem to do in my own time although you do also have a Communities First in your area which are there to help too which 5 Development Officers so if your in a rush you might want to go there too.

perhaps community first should advertise that funding is available if people form agroup for the community.

quote:

Nope not Canvasing as I said no intention in standing for Borough or AM for the next 10 or so years too busy !!

well i'm glad that is recorded here.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

kitt knight

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2009 :  21:07:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see kitt knight's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The communities DO KNOW WHO THESE people are I don't care what you say Kenneth, People on my estate know whos riding around on these off road bike and ONE should come forward if ONE has the courage to do so!!!!!!! and report it I am sure the police would happliy speak to you yo get these little angels off road. The call centre is not the best, but if you are willing to speak out I am sure they will listen to this information remeber every little helps as a famous supermarket keeps telling us.

all I see so far is people critizing others who are at least trying to help. And its a sad day when you don't want to know your neighbours, trying saying hello now and then and maybe smile if you can do that.

In my world one man can make a differance.

kkkkk
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2009 :  09:10:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The communities DO KNOW WHO THESE people are I don't care what you say Kenneth, People on my estate know whos riding around on these off road bike and ONE should come forward if ONE has the courage to do so!!!!!!! and report it I am sure the police would happliy speak to you yo get these little angels off road. The call centre is not the best, but if you are willing to speak out I am sure they will listen to this information remeber every little helps as a famous supermarket keeps telling us".

I/we Have had more meetings with the local police than I can remember so please do not try to teach a G.O.M> like me how to suck eggs I know you dont know what I/we have done but reat asure I/we dont do nothing about the situation.

I/we dont know who they are they do not live where we are they just use the roads around us. I have spoken to the police, councillors and MP about this problem many many times and NON of them have been seen to be able to stop this or other problems. Seems the main reasons are they are not aloud to chase them, if they try to stop them they get run over, they have to catch them on the road, they have more important crimes to deal with.

so to sum up.

Off road bikes

Drunks

Litter

A.S.B. (inc drunks using house walls as toilets)

Speeding.

all have been reported over and over again over the past must be 6 yrs now and it still goes on.

"The communities DO KNOW WHO THESE people are I don't care what you say Kenneth"

Maybe you should care I care because the more people that sound off about it something will have to be done and we can maybe help this by a change of those that are ment to be wouking for us and being paid by us to do just that.

If I can get this soughted it will help all who live in our road Its not an estate its a main road.

The G.O.M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.