The Town Clock in the 70's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:08:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did read somewhere that there was a Price's stores, Groceries and Provisions at the Circle..? ?
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:17:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the Ebbw Vale bus stop was near Sutton's shop.
The early bus for RTB workers used to leave before the shop had opened but the newspapers had been delivered and were in a pile outside.

A sign on the shop window invited customers to take the paper of their choice and put the money through the letter box.

To my knowledge, this system was never abused.
I wonder if it would work in this day and age.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:29:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it would [:D]

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:26:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a good think and a cup of coffee just up from the Gas Show room was Les Daniels the butcher, Billy Caron fruiterer and florist and Gomer Evans, Hairdresser.
In the Gas showrooms worked Roy Randle's wife of Shop Row. She had striking red hair.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2129 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:35:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenj we both know it wouldn't work today-not in a million years. A year or two ago some boy was walking past the paper shop in Glyn tce at about 5am, saw the sunday papers on the door step,wanted a news of the world but couldn't get one out of the plastic binding so he just stole the whole bundle instead.As it was he was seen,they rang the shop straight away, went looking for him and couldn't find him but found the whole bundle of papers left in Walter St. Nothing is safe anymore i don't think.
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
304 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  18:55:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember my uncle Jackie Powells' shop that was opposite the park gates. He also had a mobile shop in a van and used to come weekly to my parents in Blackwood. Gosh from what I remembered he used to carry everything. There were several mobile shops around, and I remember George Willis from Treod and I believe Vic Morris from Hollybush.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6214 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  22:09:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mobile shop I can remember Was Mr Lewis who had a shop just the other side of the junction from the George Pub....Just a thought, would He have been known as Goffy Lewis
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  22:32:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A food shop in the circle near the cafe was CROSSWORDS. the name was a combination of the owners names. I believe one was a Mr Cross and the other Mr Word. I sent an advertisement bearing the names to PIERRE some time ago and I think he can confirm this. EMRYS
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  00:26:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price's stores in the circle was there and busy long after the gas showrooms was built and (I believe) was demolished the same time as the Black Prince hotel to make way for the present library long after I left the town.
I have a hard time visualising that once there were so many pubs/hotels just in the vicinity of the circle and all were active and thriving. Can only wonder what it would have been like on week ends or on pay days, particularly because the hotels were large and probably home to many single men attracted by the works and the mines plus male travellers etc.. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:44:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

The Mobile shop I can remember Was Mr Lewis who had a shop just the other side of the junction from the George Pub....Just a thought, would He have been known as Goffy Lewis

yes that was him,he was around about the same time as i think it was gelli garage used to come around selling the parafin from the van

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13844 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:56:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to "Nutandboltdarlo" for sending in these two great photo's of the clock. Extar info added was:

"These photos, which I took in the summer of 1966 (a rare sunny day), show that the clock was indeed blue at that time. The postcard was obviously colourised, and did not accurately represent the actual colour of the clock.

As far as I can tell, there are no photos of the ‘blue’ clock in the gallery, so I hope they’ll be a welcome addition to this fantastic historical record.

Notice also the different times shown on various clock faces - giving rise to that unique Tredegar phrase of a deceitful person having ‘more faces than the town clock’."

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1596 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2021 :  16:57:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back a bit-
The sweet shop at bottom of Market st was originally Smiths.
Suttons green grocer has been mentioned. The grocer next to Circle cfe was Crosswoods (not crosswords as said elsewhere)
I remember the "British Restaurant" in part of gas showroom.
Two shops above was Davies sweetshop (he lived in Bethel Ave)
Price's Stores was a little unusual since most grocers did not have a licence, he had a good selection of wine I cannot comment on quality since few drank wine and my parents certainly didnt) It was thought to be pretty up-market.
The owner was Cliff Price-Morgan. His wife was a daughter of Sid Jones who had a paint shop one or two shops above the Gold.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.